xdm 40 or 45 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > xdm 40 or 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
For me it wouldn't even be a question....get the 45. I like the 45 round, don't care for the 40. Both are good manstoppers, ammo costs aren't much different, both can be found readily in my area so really it's what you prefer.

Do you know anyone who has one or a place you can rent one so you can shoot both before buying?
interesting. could you let me know where to get 45 for about the same as 40? i might jump on an officers model colt that i have a line on. my hesitation is that i shoot my 9 and my 40 often and i get good deals on the ammo but it seems i cant find 45 thats comparable in (i understand it is more costly to manufacture and i expect it to be higher to some degree) price and i dont want to have to spend half a days pay to shoot it once a week or more

thanks, R.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post
interesting. could you let me know where to get 45 for about the same as 40? i might jump on an officers model colt that i have a line on. my hesitation is that i shoot my 9 and my 40 often and i get good deals on the ammo but it seems i cant find 45 thats comparable in (i understand it is more costly to manufacture and i expect it to be higher to some degree) price and i dont want to have to spend half a days pay to shoot it once a week or more

thanks, R.
Have you tried Wallyworld? Walmart Houston has 100 rds .45acp WWB FMJ for $31.99; the .40 is $36.99. Still a little steep for twice a week.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 AM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggerio View Post

thanks, R.
i can reload 45acp for less than the cost of the cheapest steel cased 9mm
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 09-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
i can reload 45acp for less than the cost of the cheapest steel cased 9mm

makes me thankful started reloading 30+ years ago.

just cranked out 750 308, 1000 223 , 1000 9mm, 1000 45acp.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle427 View Post
makes me thankful started reloading 30+ years ago. just cranked out 750 308, 1000 223 , 1000 9mm, 1000 45acp.
If I were looking to get an AR, I would have to start reloading. As it is, I just settle for remembering the M-16 (the older open-end flash suppressor version) and thinking about a modern AR-15. So far, the wife screams NO to both the AR and the AK, but she's OK with handguns.
Questions. My range--the only one nearby--does not allow you to collect your brass. Is that unusual? What would you ballpark is the total equipment investment to get started reloading? Do you need/have a special rider on your homeowner's insurance for having gunpowder on the premises? How long does it take to "crank out" 1000 rounds of .45acp?
Thanks to anyone with answers!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It all depends on the gun range usually. Both of my two local ranges allow you to collect your own brass and take it home. Either one doesn't mind you taking it home, but they also have several buckets on the range for brass that they like for people to put their brass in so they can resell it. Regarding how long it takes to crank out 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP it all depends on what type of press you have and how efficient you are.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 3544 Posts
Likes Given: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
Questions. My range--the only one nearby--does not allow you to collect your brass. Is that unusual? What would you ballpark is the total equipment investment to get started reloading? Do you need/have a special rider on your homeowner's insurance for having gunpowder on the premises? How long does it take to "crank out" 1000 rounds of .45acp?
Thanks to anyone with answers!
yes its pretty unusual. personally i dont go to ranges i cant keep my own brass.

starting price 200-2000$ just like buying a gun depends on how deep you wanna jump.

complete starter kits can be had for way cheap in single stage versions to very pricey for a progressive and all the automated goodies

i dont have anything special other than fire insurance. but i dont stockpile hundreds of pounds of powder. just depends on your insurance agent.

takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. but i have a lot of automation for some of the bottlenecks in reloading like primer filling and case feeding
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 09-29-2011 at 12:20 AM.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. I think I'll investigate further.

Newest Threads