XD9mm tried--what else do you recommend? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD9mm tried--what else do you recommend?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hey there.

I'm a tiny bit smaller than you & have the XD 9 sc. Love it.

The other one I liked was the Bersa Thunder - felt good in my hand but
I had more confidence in the Springfield name.

Handled some of those changable grips - a small was put on for me to try & it really didn't help at all - still didn't feel good in my hand.

Check out Women & Guns - it's a site for the magazine & they have a forum too - lots of great ladies with a ton of advice and a wide range
firearms they can share 1st hand female opinion on.
Women & Guns
&
Cornered Cat

Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #12

Try a Ruger SP 101, Rev.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #13

Depends on what you like and what appeals to you. Things also change over time. I live in Torrance, btw and my wife is about your size. She shoots a revolver well enough since she lacks some arm strength to operate the slide of some automatics easily.

However, you noted your size, but didn't tell us what your budget is. For me, I am 5'7" and a buck fifty for weight....with small hands. I think, if your budget would swing it, you'd really like an all steel 1911 in 9mm. The weight would tame the recoil to about nothing, but the price on 9mm 1911s would be a little less than double an XD. You'd also have to see which ones are on the OK list from Cal's DOJ handguns. I know the Kimber 9mm was on the list and that may sell for around $1,200 here abouts.

In any case, I wish you luck on your selection process. BTW, I have four XDs including the 5" 9mm which I had SA do their Custom Carry package to it. It has almost 12,000 rounds through it and I only needed to change the recoil spring every 4,000 rounds or so. I've used this through several defensive pistol classes and one IDPA comp. Really nice gun.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If you have a big enough budget, take a look at a Springfield 9mm EMP. Good luck in your search and welcome here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #15

My short story on this:
I tried my friends Glock 19 sub compact and had a hard time with it due to my comically small hands. 5'5'' 150lbs, tiny hands. (I do not envy huge handed people, I'm just saying... Try scraping a gasket out of an oil filter umbilical frame and being able to palm a basketball, It don werk )

I bought an XD .40 as my first ever firearm after trying Glocks and a few other odds and ends. I liked a colt 1911 I tried also, but the XD was a better deal. It fit my hands much better than the glock (had trouble reaching things) and I liked the grip angle better. The Glock grip just seemed off. I'm right handed, left eyed dominant and a very novice shooter. I've put about 200 rounds out of the gun so far, cleaned it twice. The tooless breakdown is another thing I like about the XD. Easy to clean and maintain. A guy at the shop I bought it from was bragging on having an XD that he's shot something like 2,000 rounds out of without ever having problems with it.

That's it, that's all I got. Hope that helps.

It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:09 AM   #16

Liked 1433 Times on 810 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You guys do realize "Dawn" had only two posts and they were 1 1/2 years ago?

I think Dawn has moved on.

Check the OP's post date the next time.

Thanks, the management.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello