Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD9mm tried--what else do you recommend? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd9mm-tried-what-else-do-you-recommend-3949/)

lagrl 04-02-2008 02:55 PM

XD9mm tried--what else do you recommend?

Okay, let me start out with a few things about myself.

I live in Los Anegles, which only has like 5 ranges left to test out guns. :(
I am a girl, 5'1" 115 lbs. My hands are small.
I am a LEFTY!!
I am a BRAND new shooter. Last night was only my 4th time at the range.

So, I am looking to purchase a gun. It will not be for carry. I can commit the time to practice.

I initially tried the S&W M&P 9mm. It shot well, but the grip sucked. I did find out this gun comes with 3 different grips that you can switch out...the gun I fired had the largest grip on it. The range is going to see if they can find the small grip for me and switch it out so I can try it again.

I also tried the XD 9mm 5". I really really loved this gun. I shot it surprisingly well, it felt GREAT in my hand and I didn't struggle with the slide (I have on others).

I hope I have provided enough intel. What other guns would you recommend I try out???

Much Thanks
Dawn

Water-Man 04-02-2008 03:17 PM

XD 9mm 4" and Glock 19

Samhain 04-02-2008 04:58 PM

My wife likes my Ruger P95 (9mm)
she hates my S&W M&P 40 compact, but rented the
M&P 9mm compact & full size & loved the full size. She is goin got buy it
this weekend.
You can always buy a rubber grip sleave.....

Dillinger 04-02-2008 06:37 PM

lagrl - My fiancee' had never fired a weapon before she met me, but she wanted to learn, so we started her out on my Kimber Rimfire which is a .22 caliber version of a full sized 1911. She spent about 10 or 12 range visits learning safe gun handling and proper technique before moving up in caliber. She currently carries a 4" Nighthawk Talon 1911 in 9mm and likes it very much.

As for some things to consider, as you live in Kalifornia, there are quite a few firearms that you won't be able to have access too - so do some research before you fall in love with something that you can't get due to the Nazi's in power down there. :(

In picking the Springfield XD I think you started with one of the top pistols in that category given your size and your experience level. Springfield makes a good product and it's reliable. As this won't be your carry piece, and good luck getting a permit to carry in LA County :eek: , I think you are safe in choosing just about anything that is 1) legal where you live and 2) fits your hands.

Walther makes a model called the PPS that we looked at during the Shot Show and it has several features that might appeal. The back strap is replacable, so you can size it to your grip and the weapon is thinner than other weapons in that class. You can get it in 9mm and it has two inherent safeties, plus it's an ambi mag release, so great for a lefty like you. A new storage feature called Quicksafe was added on this weapon and is one of the first of it's kind in the production market. With it, when you remove the back strap, you can safely store the weapon and never have to worry about someone shooting it "accidently" because it can not fire without the back strap in place. If you have kids, and don't have an expensive gun safe, this would be a key feature I would think.

Glock makes the model 17 and 19, but I think they might be a bit big for your hands as they have a bit of a larger handgrip on them. I personally do not care for the brand, but thousands and thousands of people swear by them, so I am definitely in the minority. :D

H & K makes a couple of models you may like: The P2000 This has an ambi slide & magazine release, which is good for you and it also has the adjustable back strap. I personally don't care for the weapon, but you might like it. They also offer the P2000SK which is a thinner version of the standard P2000. This might fit your hand a bit better. Same features.

Taurus has a model that may not be legal in Kalifornia, but if it is, you might like to check out. The 24/7 Pro has some good features and I believe you can reverse both the slide release and the mag release. Taurus has an unconditional lifetime warranty on their weapons, so they stand behind their products and this one features an "exclusive" foam molding rubber hand grip that is designed to fit "every hand". I don't know about that, but it is a comfortable weapon to hold.

Anyways, those are a few to look at. There are a ton of choices out there, so I kind of tailored this list to weapons kind of what you have already looked at. Do your homework before you buy - make sure that the company will be around in a year and will stand behind their product.

Stay safe. Have fun. And welcome to the club. :D

D

308sc 04-03-2008 02:38 AM

These

I am looking for something very similar to you and have done extensive research on other forums. Just waiting for the money now:)

Try a CZ 75, Glock, and a Sig Sauer

lagrl 04-03-2008 02:09 PM

Thanks guys

On a good note, any pistol I am trying at the ranges are all legal in CA.

A crazy caveat you might not know, that I was told by the range manager last night is that a gun is legal in CA, but you are ordering something slighlty different about it, including its COLOR, it needs to be drop tested and will hold up the 10 day waiting period for another 5-10 days. Neither he nor his buddies had any idea that this was another crazy hoop CA makes you jump through. The mgr had ordered a legal for CA XD, but wanted the greenish cammo color. So he experienced this silliness first hand!

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations. Unfortunately I am at the mercy of only being able to try what the firing ranges have as all my gun friends live on the East Coast.

I was lucky though, and found a range that has several of the pistols you all recommended which is only a 1/2 hour away.

They have the new baby Sig a P239 I think, and several of the others as well. I am going there tonight after work.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Dawn

Southern6er 04-04-2008 07:23 PM

May want to consider a California packaged CZ-82 in 9mm. has ambi safeties, 9 round capacity (12 round everywhere else), and uses 9x18 Mararov rounds.

CZ-82 @ JG Sales

741512th 11-12-2008 07:51 PM

I know this is a semi-auto forum, but you might very well want to check out the Smith and Wesson model 327. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&produ ctId=67969&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=50802&isFirearm=Y

It is an eight shot .357 revolver that fits a smaller hand very well, shoots straight and great, and has lots of kaboom.

matt g 11-12-2008 07:57 PM

Kimber makes 1911s in 9mm these days. Though, you're a lefty, you owe it to yourself to shoot one.

lovetoshoot 11-14-2008 02:20 PM

I'm a girl too, 5'7 125 lbs. I have the glock 19 and like it. I have a hard time breaking it down, but enjoy shooting it. I have a walther PPk. It's okay. If I'm not careful it kinda bites me in the fleshy part of my hand when I shoot it. That is the gun that I carry in my handbag (since its small). I'm accurate with both. I love my S&W relovers. I have the 6 inch (I should not have gotten it, its way to big for me) and the 4 which I really like. Try going to a large gun store and holding the different guns in your hands. That will give you an idea of how they will feel.