Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD9 4" IWB Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD9 4" IWB Holster

I've just bought my first handgun, a Springfield Armory XD 9mm 4", and just completed my CPL course. I've been looking around for a good IWB holster and I think I have it narrowed to a Minotaur MTAC or a Phantom Modular. I haven't seen these in any shops in my area so I haven't been able to feel them out. Anything to say about either one of these?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #2

Take a look at Crossbreed Supertuck. I have one for my XDm 3.8 and it conceals great, is very comfortable, and very high quality. Their customer service as also supposedly fantastic, though I never had to use it.

Crossbreed Holsters > Home

Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #3

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Crossbreed Supertuck all the way. I have them for my XD45 and CZ82.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I have a CB Supertuck for my Glock 19. It is a little clumsy to put on (wide with clips far apart), so I only use it when I'm going to be tucking a shirt, which I normally do not do. For quick put on and take off, I like the leather Don Hume 715. Got one for an XD9SC and liked it so much I got one for the Glock 19. Inexpensive ($30), easy on the gun finish, quick. My 715 for the XD9SC is so versatile, I even used it as a stop gap for the XDM45 and for the 1911. I still use it on occasion for those two guns.

For my XDM-45, I have a Blade Tech UCH (Ultimate Concealment Holster). It is good, except that you must thread a belt through its kydex loop, so it is slower to put on or take off. It holds the gun securely, as you can even hear it click into place. It's also a tuckable. I found it initially a little high and too vertical. Fortunately, the kydex back is pretty thick with lots of open space, so I was able to drill new holes for the belt hook to attach, and now it is much better for me.

For my 1911, I have a Comp-Tac Infidel. It is all kydex and has a single wide belt clip. Easy on and easy off, and the retainage is adjustable with an allen wrench. Not tuckable.

Personally, if you're not sure about tucking or even if you do want a tuckable and get a Crossbreed, it is nice to have a quick holster at times, so I would highly recommend the Don Hume 715 as either an only or a second holster. Only one problem. I tried to order one for my 1911, and there is a 3 to 4 month wait. Might be different with the XD version.

The above are all my own experience. Your results may vary. I am not affiliated with any of the referenced companies.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #5

When you say tucking you are talking about tucking a shirt, right? And do you mean quick to put the holster on and take it off or a quick draw?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:05 AM   #6

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

In my 16 years experience with CCW I've accumulated approx $1,500.00 worth of different holster types, styles, and materials.

4 years ago I discovered that a $15.00 elastic belly band worn low on the hips provides the same advantages of the best IWB holsters, allow mags to be carried IWB, and does not pull you britches down like every other holster including IWB's.

One other huge advantage you'll discover once you begin to CCW is "what to do with your gun/holster while using a public RR? Think about that one...

With the belly band you simple tug the entire rig up your mid section, do your business, then tug is all back down to your hips, secure pants/belt, and go on your way.

Do yourself a favor and save the holster money for ammo and more guns.

TACK

Old 11-14-2011, 11:17 AM   #7

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstaffor View Post
When you say tucking you are talking about tucking a shirt, right? And do you mean quick to put the holster on and take it off or a quick draw?
Sorry about that. Yes, tuck means tucking a shirt, where the gun is under your shirt--not my first choice, but sometimes you have no choice. Quick means quick to put on and take off, not "quick draw", as I find them all equally challenging for me.

One more thing I just remembered. Crossbreed used to use belt clips with their "t" logo cut out of the metal clip. Mine permanently deformed at the wide part of the "t". I contacted Crossbreed, and they sent new clips, but with a letter that said they've never heard of this problem. HOWEVER, I see that their current belt clips have the logo embossed rather than cut out. If you get a Crossbreed, be sure you get the new clips.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious. Then my police state would force everybody back to work."
-Paul Harvey, 1964
Guns? What guns? Oh, I haven't seen those since I left my garage door open one night by mistake.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
In my 16 years experience with CCW I've accumulated approx $1,500.00 worth of different holster types, styles, and materials. 4 years ago I discovered that a $15.00 elastic belly band worn low on the hips provides the same advantages of the best IWB holsters, allow mags to be carried IWB, and does not pull you britches down like every other holster including IWB's. Do yourself a favor and save the holster money for ammo and more guns.
TACK
Can you give us a reference for the belly band or belly band holster? Like you, I've spent too much on holsters and would like to stop. This is intriguing to me, as I often ride a bike, and cycling shorts do not have belt loops. I can see the merit in an elastic belly band being easier on the gun finish. Also, I see it being infinitely positionable. 4 o'clock, 2 o'clock, or even crossdraw. And it appears that this would also be a tuckable carry method.

Here are a couple I see at amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Galco UWKHXL Underwraps Belly Band (Khaki, Ambi): Sports & Outdoors

and

Amazon.com: Belly Band Concealment Holster-Large 35"-40": Sports & Outdoors
Oops. I just gave away my waist size!

And then I see:

Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters

None of these are $15, but one is only $25.

Please tell us more, Tackleberry. What kind of gun do you carry in the belly band? Ad copy says you could carry a 1911 with 5" barrel. True? What do you wear under the BB. I normally have a black "wifebeater" T to mask the grip on my black gun. Is that workable?

Bill
-Paul Harvey, 1964

Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #9

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowserb View Post
Can you give us a reference for the belly band or belly band holster? Like you, I've spent too much on holsters and would like to stop. This is intriguing to me, as I often ride a bike, and cycling shorts do not have belt loops. I can see the merit in an elastic belly band being easier on the gun finish. Also, I see it being infinitely positionable. 4 o'clock, 2 o'clock, or even crossdraw. And it appears that this would also be a tuckable carry method.

Here are a couple I see at amazon.com:
Amazon.com: Galco UWKHXL Underwraps Belly Band (Khaki, Ambi): Sports & Outdoors

and

Amazon.com: Belly Band Concealment Holster-Large 35"-40": Sports & Outdoors
Oops. I just gave away my waist size!

And then I see:

Belly Band Holster - The Original Bellyband - Concealment Holsters

None of these are $15, but one is only $25.

Please tell us more, Tackleberry. What kind of gun do you carry in the belly band? Ad copy says you could carry a 1911 with 5" barrel. True? What do you wear under the BB. I normally have a black "wifebeater" T to mask the grip on my black gun. Is that workable?
I found my first belly band at Khar's web site after buying my PM9 4 years ago. I carry this gun strong side in the same position it would be in if one were using an IWB holster. The Khar band has an extra mag pouch just forward of the pistol pouch so w/the Khar topped off I've got 7 rnd of 9mm on board and a 7 rnd backup.

This worked so well and was so much more concealable and comfortable that I bought a larger 5" band from the NRA store to carry my 4" Kimber 1911.

Again, just wrap the band around your hips so it tops out at your belt line, insert, gun, mags, ect...and belt you pants around the whole thing.

The elastic/velcro holds all the weight tight to your hips so you no longer have to sinch your belt so tight that it's uncomfortable.

It's obviously tuckable as well and in the summer I don't use any undershirt. Boxers are loose enought to tug "enough drawers" up between skin and the pistols grip. My summer work attire consists of dockers and a golf shirt tucked in. This method has worked perfectly for 4 years now with no one having any idea that I'm armed which is the whole point of ccw.

Give it a try.

TACK

Old 11-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Hey Tackleberry. Just got my BB holster from Amazon. My initial impression is good. This belt is a four-inch. It has a thumb break, which fortunately is removable, as it is unnecessary as far as I can tell, under most circumstances. I may decide to use it for cycling, though.

The BB holds the guns (XDm-45 and Colt 1911) pressed lightly against the body. I always wear a black t-shirt, so it is not really uncomfortable. Both of my guns conceal better with the BB than with my regular Blade Tech or Comp-tac IWB holsters. That is good. Drawing is different, though, and may require a little practice to get a grip on the grip, since it is pressed against the body. I can see adapting to that, though.

Reholstering. So far, this is a bit of a negative. With practice it will surely get easier, but right now, I cannot reholster without looking and assisting with my left hand. However, reholstering is a lesser concern than carrying and drawing.

In use. This is the most comfortable gun carrier I have ever tried. An added bonus is the girdle-like effect on the abdomen. My wife thinks its funny. I just noticed that my pants are looser in the waist than they were. I cannot carry a spare mag in the mag slot (too close to the gun and in an awkward place for me), but then I didn't before either. I carried before at about 4 o'clock. Same with the BB.

Anyone who hasn't tried this alternative to heavy leather or hard kydex, should do so. Best $25 I've spent in a while.

Thanks, Tackleberry.

Bill
-Paul Harvey, 1964