Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD45 Need Input Please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default XD45 Need Input Please

I was at the gunsmith's today and seriously looked at an XD45 with a 4" barrel. It felt good in my hand but it seems a bit wide for very discrete carry. So, I'm not sure how it will conceal. I plan on carrying OWB.

My plan had been to pick up a Colt Commander, but money just got tight with the loss of my wife's hearing aids.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch to have a reliable carry gun for an early September concealed carry class. I can pick up the XD very reasonably and be good to go. As far as caliber, I prefer the .45ACP over any other pistol round for carry. .357 is great, but I want to carry a semi auto.

I have a FEG PA63 that runs like an old Timex watch for something smaller and more concealable. So I guess the XD would be more for cold weather when I'd be wearing heavier clothing.

I'm wondering about you folks who carry one, what are your impressions?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

CA

I don't carry but I do like the XD line, might I sugest the compact if it is available. It still has the 4" barrel but the grip is shorter...comes with a 10 and extended 13 rnd mag. XD is a double stack so the wide grip is pretty much non-negotiable.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 08-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ What he said; you are limited on mag capacity anyways.

My 5" still hasn't had a jam.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Well, he bought a number of the XD's really right and he's just got two of the XD45's, one XD40 and one XD9, all four inch models left. I guess I can live with the width, because ten +1 rounds .45ACP can put up quite a convincing argument.

Who's carrying one and are you guy's happy with them?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I find it hard to conceal my XD40 very well. Its bigger frame makes it stand out.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That's what I'm afraid of.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have a large frame so I can hide it a bit easier as I wear large flannel shirts.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:33 AM   #8

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and am a bigger guy but still need looser fitting clothes.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:54 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I hesitate to use the word slim. But I'm 5'7" and around 150lbs +/- so concealment is important. However, I wear flannel shirts untucked in Winter, so that could work. I'd need to pick up a 3/4 length jacket for nasty weather, my Carhartt won't cut it.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Anyone else carrying an XD45?