XD vs XDm vs Glock 17 gen 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD vs XDm vs Glock 17 gen 3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD vs XDm vs Glock 17 gen 3

O I am finally down to the XD vs Glock 17 gen 3. I HATE the gen 4 grip so I am having a shoot off Saturday with the gen 3. Will also be shooting the SW MP 9 and 40 but those aren't in the running.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to shoot the XDm. What it the benefit over the XD and will it matter for someone buying their first gun?

I have also shot the Ruger P89. Any other guns I should look at before my purchase? I am looking to buy by the end of the month.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #2

There are some differences in the XD and the XDM. Mostly the differences are the barrel and the grip. Unless you plan to shoot competitively you will be fine with the XD. I EDC the XD.40 SC. And love it.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter56 View Post
There are some differences in the XD and the XDM. Mostly the differences are the barrel and the grip. Unless you plan to shoot competitively you will be fine with the XD. I EDC the XD.40 SC. And love it.
I have to disagree. The differences are multiple. Grip texture and customization for different grips and, in every caliber but .45 higher capacity, match barrel and trigger,(yes the trigger is MUCH better than the chunky one on the XD shorter reset, smoother), also the profile of the gun, while not lending much to function, is much sexier.

So I guess you're right after all, not much difference. BTW, I am biased as I own XDm's in every caliber they are made in so far 9mm, .40, .45. It's nice that the holsters are the same as the XD so you don't have to wait for customization in that area.

All that being said it's a hell of a lot easier to pick up an XD used especially in .45. I ended up buying my .45 new from Budsgunshop.com as they with transfer fees and extra mag beat the best deal I could get locally by $75 on the low end.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Xdm hands down

Old 03-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #5

Good info - thanks!!

Old 03-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty

I have to disagree. The differences are multiple. Grip texture and customization for different grips and, in every caliber but .45 higher capacity, match barrel and trigger,(yes the trigger is MUCH better than the chunky one on the XD shorter reset, smoother), also the profile of the gun, while not lending much to function, is much sexier.

So I guess you're right after all, not much difference. BTW, I am biased as I own XDm's in every caliber they are made in so far 9mm, .40, .45. It's nice that the holsters are the same as the XD so you don't have to wait for customization in that area.

All that being said it's a hell of a lot easier to pick up an XD used especially in .45. I ended up buying my .45 new from Budsgunshop.com as they with transfer fees and extra mag beat the best deal I could get locally by $75 on the low end.
So exactly where did I say there is not much difference? The biggest difference in the guns is in the grip, interchangeable etc., and the matched barrel. Trigger is more of a learned feel so with this being his first gun purchase the XD will be fine. The smoother trigger with the quicker reset helps with computation shooting as well as the matched barrel does. More capacity only matters if you can't hit what you are aiming at. If you can shoot you should only need 3-4 shots for personal protection against another person. If you are shooting competitively more capacity will help. For a first gun the XD is perfectly fine. The XD is also available as a sub compact as where the XDM is not. The XD is significantly less expensive also, helping ease the pain of the first gun purchase. So while the XDM has some advantages over the XD I was answering the OP's question of the first gun purchase, not look at me and how many XDM's I have! Yes, I stick to my first post in saying the XD is a perfectly good and acceptable gun as an EDC and as a first purchase. Next time don't be a, rolleyes!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter56

So exactly where did I say there is not much difference? The biggest difference in the guns is in the grip, interchangeable etc., and the matched barrel. Trigger is more of a learned feel so with this being his first gun purchase the XD will be fine. The smoother trigger with the quicker reset helps with computation shooting as well as the matched barrel does. More capacity only matters if you can't hit what you are aiming at. If you can shoot you should only need 3-4 shots for personal protection against another person. If you are shooting competitively more capacity will help. For a first gun the XD is perfectly fine. The XD is also available as a sub compact as where the XDM is not. The XD is significantly less expensive also, helping ease the pain of the first gun purchase. So while the XDM has some advantages over the XD I was answering the OP's question of the first gun purchase, not look at me and how many XDM's I have! Yes, I stick to my first post in saying the XD is a perfectly good and acceptable gun as an EDC and as a first purchase. Next time don't be a, rolleyes!
You left out info "you thought"was not pertinent. The trigger imho is a huge difference in the gun one of the main reasons to choose the XDm over the XD. Nothing personal just making the point that there are more differences than you let on.

Barrel and grip is what you said and that statement leaves a lot out about the differences is all. Facts are pertinent to firearms discussions. Leaving them out to simplify your position does not inform the question posed.

Competition shooting aside, that info is pertinent to making an informed unbiased opinion. It might be nice to know that if you do a trigger job on an XD it can shoot pretty well but then again you will again be paying about the same as you would for the already improved XDm.

Again just my opinion but I have learned that posting partial info pm these threads will get someone to correct you every time. Whether its me or someone else try not to take it so personally we all have areas we could stand improvement in, a wise man seeks council and I personally like to have ask the facts good and bad. Even if my ego gets ruffled every once in a while.

No insult intended.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson