Xd vs xdm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Xd vs xdm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Xd vs xdm

What's the big difference between the 2??? Is the xd gear better?? Or what's better about the xdm then the xd??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3085 Times on 1546 Posts
Likes Given: 380

XDm-
Match barrel.
Interchangeable back straps.
Improved (IMHO) trigger.
I believe that they changed the design so you don't have to pull the trigger as part of field stripping.
Styling- New cooler appearance. There may be more, but those are the highlights.
XD- still a viable platform.
Barrel, sure the new kid has a match barrel, but the older ones are decent.
No interchangeable back straps-the older design is actually not bad.
Not as good a trigger as the XDm- there are upgrade kits if you are bothered by it. As polymer guns go it's not that bad.
Trigger pull as part of take down-clear your weapon properly and you'll be fine.
Styling-Sure, it's a bit dated, but then so is that unnamed Austrian competitor.

Just my opinion, but if you can find an XD that does what you need it to, you can save a fair bit of money with a new purchase. In my area, there are a LOT of used XDs out there and you can save even more used.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #3

So a xdm 9mm for 560 is a good price

Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnelting21 View Post
So a xdm 9mm for 560 is a good price
Yeah, that's a pretty good price. That's what I got mine for (4.5") and I looked all over the local stores, big stores, and online before buying. Most places are 599-649.

I haven't shot an XD, but I'm loving my XDm. I've heard nothing but good things about the XD too, the m is just the newest shiniest toy. One afternoon at the range, it changed my brother's opinion from "You should get a Glock, not a Springfield" to "I still love my Glocks, but maybe I'll get a Springfield too."

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 AM   #5
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2366 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Correct about the XDm change to eliminate the trigger pull to disassemble the weapon. I rented an XD 9mm subcompact for a few months while saving to buy my gun. I asked if they had an XDm compact to rent. Tried it once and bought one on the spot. Maybe it was just the longer barrel (3.8 vs. 3.1 inch) but I shot a lot better than I had with the subcompact. The nice thing about the XD / XDm is that you are choosing between good and gooder!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

i rented xd pistols in the past never tried a xdm until my wife picked a xdm 9mm as her ccw gun. then i bought myself a 45acp version. the grip of the xd was just a little off. everything with the xd was just not quite there for me. after trying her xdm i had to have one. its a lot of little stuff that adds up to a big difference for me. the grip texture of the xdm better. the design of the mag release on the xdm is better. i like the changeable backstraps. gives the gun a good feel for me i swapped in the smallest backstrap and it was perfect.

thats all pretty subjective however

the biggest difference in the 9mm versions is capacity. xd 16+1 xdm 19+1.

20 rounds of 9mm has almost convinced me to switch from 45acp!!

the 45acp version capacity is the same. i was a very long time 1911 person, 20+ years, but i switched to the xdm for most of my ccw needs. i still carry a 1911 colt new agent at times but its rare. my need for concealed at all times is not anywhere like it used to be

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the XD is a good handgun, but with the improvements offered by the XDm, it just becomes a mch better pistol. the top of the slide is profiled a little differently from the XD also. i like the fact that i can change the backstrap and make it more comfortable for the wife to shoot. i bought mine last year, in very lightly used condition, almost perfect, for $475+tax. i still feel i made out like a bandit. IMO, the Glock is a good pistol, and one i wouldn't hesitate buying either if the price was right, but the XDm is a much better pistol that is an improvement over the Glock. if Glock were to incorporate some of the features of the XDm, they would have an awesome pistol.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

I've had my XDm scence 09' , it shoots Whell for me, carry it ever day bout all day but was look'n to buy the 3.8 XDm soon. I had a chance to shoot a friends compact XD an it shot jus as good as mine but I did notice a different fell in the trigger .

Old 02-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2366 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

XDm trigger felt pretty good to me. A little different from the XD, but I'm not very experienced and may not be sensitive to the subtleties of trigger pull. Pretty sure preferences in trigger pull can be a lot like preferences in beer, largely a matter of personal taste. All I know is, XDm felt a lot better overall to me.

I had tried 1911 and one or two other semi-automatics. Settled in on the XD style mainly to avoid the manual safety. If (God forbid) I ever have to use my gun in self defense, I don't want to think about much of anything except point and shoot. I like the extra capacity of an semi-automatic compared to a revolver. In a sense, the XD is a lot like a revolver. If I have the gun in hand and finger on the trigger, one squeeze and I get one round. The safeties (which do not exist on the revolver) are built in to the trigger and the grip. When I tried the XDm the grip was only a little different from the XD, but felt a lot better. When I shot better with it, that settled my questions.

Sorry for the rabbit trail off the thread. XDm or XD, 6:5 and pick'em. Both good guns to me, for what it's worth. What matters is how YOU feel about them. Pick the one you like and run/gun with it!

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 02-09-2012, 02:10 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I recently was faced with the same question. My buddy wants a new .40 sw, he asked me what one I liked better. I have an XD, and my other buddy has a XDm, .40 sw as well. So we headed off to the local range to try them out. XDm had a 3.8 barrel, my XD has the 4, I noticed his has a little more whip, I liked the higher cap mags, I didn't feel a big difference in the grips. My take? (Let me put on my combat helmet real quick here) Now, I'm no pistolero by any means, I hardly shoot mine, but I couldn't really see $200 worth of difference. XDm is a damn fine gun, but not worth $200 more to me.

Wait, was this thing on?