XD vs XDM - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD vs XDM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I own both the XD40 and XD40M. Both are great pistols and shoot very well. If fact I can not notice much of a difference between the two. My grouping sizes are about the same on paper. I have over a thousand rounds shot threw the XD and about 500 rounds shot threw the XDM. I like the adjustable back strap on the XDM and a little better rear sight that does not catch on stuff as much. Either of the pistols would serve you well. I think what it boils down to is if you would like a few more features with the XDM or happy with saving a few bucks and purchasing the XD?

Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #12

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If it was me, and price was not a problem, I'd choose the XDm. I have rather large hands and the interchangeable backstraps would come in handy. I also like the idea of 4 extra rounds per mag, and no dry fire field stripping. The match grade barrel is an added +?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #13

It will still be a couple of months to save up the money, but I am leaning toward the XDm. I like the 4.5 in barrel length and the the trigger feels a little smoother to me than the xd. I may even splurge on the stainless model. I have only seen pictures of the stainless though, is it dulled enough not to scream shoot here?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #14

I saw a NIB XDm (with holster, etc., all the stuff) for $500 at a local pawn shop. A lot less than I paid for mine!

NRA Life Member

Old 01-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #15

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Old 02-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
ajs

Default XD .40 vs. XDM .40

I am looking at buying either the XD 40 or XDM 40 handgun for my first handgun. Not sure on concealability ( I'm 6'1" 280 lbs"), size of grip of XD (pinky hanging off), different prices (general pice of both), general prices of ammo. Any comments and info is appreciated..

Old 02-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs View Post
I am looking at buying either the XD 40 or XDM 40 handgun for my first handgun. Not sure on concealability ( I'm 6'1" 280 lbs"), size of grip of XD (pinky hanging off), different prices (general pice of both), general prices of ammo. Any comments and info is appreciated..

Hi ajs,

In the forum world this is known as hijacking a thread.

Please stop by the introductions thread and introduce yourself.

The XD's come in different sizes(compact,full size,and subcompact)so it depends on what size we are talking about.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #18

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
In that case I agree that the XD 40 would be sufficient for your needs. In my mind the major feature of the XDm, for me anyway, is the added capacity; 4 rounds for the .40 S&W. (Not that it matters for me in NJ where the XDm is illegal) The factory grip on the standard XD is not a problem for me so the interchangable back strap on the XDm is not a major selling point, neither is the match grade barrel nor the trigger-pull free field strip.

That being said, as always, the final choice depends on what feels right to you. There may be differences in grip angle, balance, recoil, etc between the XD and XDm that affect your decision. I have shot both in .40 S&W and 9mm and could not really feel a difference but again that's me.

Good luck in choosing, either way it's a win-win for you in your "upgrade" to an XD.
The XDm is not necessarily illegal in NJ. It is Illegal for an FFL to sell an XDm directly to a civilian. Anyone moving from out of state can bring it with them, so long as they limit their mags to 10rds, and anyone who already legally owns an XDm (out of stater or LEO) may transfer the weapon to you through an FFL, so long as the mags are limited to 10rds, disassembled, or not included in the sale.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Do the Xdm's even have 10rd mags availiable? I didn't think they did. Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Do the Xdm's even have 10rd mags availiable? I didn't think they did. Kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Not according to the HS-ARMS site:

HS-Arms HS XDM 4.5"

But then again, it doesn't mention this for the 5" Tactical either....which this definately does have 10-rnd mags available. As it is the only model legal in Aust (min 120mm barrel by law) and we are subject to a 10-rnd mag limit, annoyingly.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D