XD vs XDM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD vs XDM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD vs XDM

Considering an XD, is it worth it ot upgrade to the XDM?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #2

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depends a little bit on the caliber, because you probably know that the XDm is not available yet in .45 ACP. Don't know what caliber you are considering.

I don't know the difference in price between the two but, if it is significant, I think the original XD is perfectly adequate for the purpose for which I use mine....home defense. I don't need a match-grade barrel and the other (m) upgrades for that purpose.

But that's just me

Old 12-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #3

Oh sorry, I guess I should have mentioned that I was shopping for a 40

Old 12-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
I don't know the difference in price between the two but, if it is significant, I think the original XD is perfectly adequate for the purpose for which I use mine....home defense. I don't need a match-grade barrel and the other (m) upgrades for that purpose.

So, for competition the XD is adequate? I don't think the XDm is going to be available here at all.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #5

I suppose it is also important to state the purpose of the gun. I will not be shooting any competition. I want to get a gun that I am rock solid comfortable and confident with to take to midnight burglar alarms, as well as any other security and defense needs around my home and business. It might also be worth noting that I am a dissatisfied and former glock owner. I almost failed to give the xd any consideration at all as I was afraid it was just another "glock clone".

Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
So, for competition the XD is adequate? I don't think the XDm is going to be available here at all.
Depends on the competition I guess. In general, it's not the first choice of shooters in serious competition.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrax View Post
I suppose it is also important to state the purpose of the gun. I will not be shooting any competition. I want to get a gun that I am rock solid comfortable and confident with to take to midnight burglar alarms, as well as any other security and defense needs around my home and business. It might also be worth noting that I am a dissatisfied and former glock owner. I almost failed to give the xd any consideration at all as I was afraid it was just another "glock clone".
The original XD in .40 is on sale at a huge gun shop in Fort Worth today for $469. Don't know how much the (M)s are going for, but the original is a perfectly fine option for what you described as its purpose.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Depends on the competition I guess. In general, it's not the first choice of shooters in serious competition.

OK fair enough, I appreciate the advice. I'm only a rank newb to IPSC anyway, so it will probably be alright for my first firearm...I know I've got a long way to go.

Plus, it will still be around $A1200 and that's plenty expensive enough to be starting with

Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM   #9

is about $100 for the upgrade, which I am fine with as long as the value is there. While I am not shooting official competition, it is important to outshoot my buddies at the range

Old 12-28-2009, 04:00 AM   #10

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrax View Post
In that case I agree that the XD 40 would be sufficient for your needs. In my mind the major feature of the XDm, for me anyway, is the added capacity; 4 rounds for the .40 S&W. (Not that it matters for me in NJ where the XDm is illegal) The factory grip on the standard XD is not a problem for me so the interchangable back strap on the XDm is not a major selling point, neither is the match grade barrel nor the trigger-pull free field strip.

That being said, as always, the final choice depends on what feels right to you. There may be differences in grip angle, balance, recoil, etc between the XD and XDm that affect your decision. I have shot both in .40 S&W and 9mm and could not really feel a difference but again that's me.

Good luck in choosing, either way it's a win-win for you in your "upgrade" to an XD.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington