XD sight picture - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD sight picture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
If you're able to try both the XDM and M&P then do so. Nowhere in my area can you test drive a gun so I make my decisions based on research and a few minutes of fondling. Having done just that I can tell you it was a toss up between the XDM and M&P. The deciding factor was cost and already owning a few Smiths. I have to play with the new Springer a little more but I must say it is quite accurate, and honestly if the sight picture remains the same at distance it's not a big deal. My P-08 Luger has a 6o'clock hold and I enjoy seeing more of the target because of it.

Hey interesting point about the increased sight on target with a 6 0'clock hold, NYPD. I never thought of that before...something else to weigh up then! Cost is pretty comparable between them; both around $1200 so no real differentiation to consider there.

Alas, I can't legally try out anything before purchase either...unless one of the club members has something I'm considering, like the HS. Would love to be able to shoot the M&P but that's not possible. Gun shop fondling only

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Forgive me folks, but I really have a difficult time understanding why folks shoot handguns at 25 yards. Handguns by nature are short range defensive weapons (hunting revolvers notwithstanding). I occasionally shoot at 15 yards but most of my handgun work is 10 yards or less. I can imagine explaining to an LEO that the fella 75 feet away was an imminent threat so you had to shoot.
NGIB, I completely agree with your assessment of proper/practical distances for the use of a pistol for self defense and most of my practice time is spent inside 25 yards, however I do take all my handguns out to 25 yards and beyond every range session.

One reason for this is that when I begin to have success at that distance, I show improvement at closer ranges also. The other reason is that I spend a lot of time in the mountains (camping, hiking, biking, etc.) and if I come across a hostile bear or mountain lion, I'm sure the hell not gonna wait for him to close in my with in 25 yards. Granted the handguns I take in the woods are .44 mags or .357 mags, not pistols, but I still like the idea of practicing from different ranges.

As far as the sight picture. I usually use POA with my XD, but now I'm gonna have to play with it next time I go out. The only way of knowing what works for you is old fashioned trigger time.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Maybe even a large bank or post office?

Old 01-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class273 View Post
I certainly understand what you're getting at but how often do you have your AR with you when you're cruising around town? I could see that if some nut was shooting up a grocery store a 25 yard shot might be in the realm of possibility.
I walk around with one in a tacticool sling.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer