XD sight picture - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD sight picture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Why just on the 5", i have noooooo idea. I'll compare notes with my buddy who has the 4" XD9; he wanted to go shooting this weekend anyway.
I didn't get to go this weekend (rainy & muddy), but i will go this upcoming weekend almost for certain (gotta try the new BP pistol I am currently fondling at my desk ).

After talking to my buddy with the 4" XD9, most of his shooting was inside 25 meters, so he may have a different result (hitting high) at the longer distances.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

No problem, orangello. Look forward to hearing what what transpires from the range

I hope at some stage to be able to give the club member's HS a go...just have a bit of rudimentary practice at a couple of different distances just to check out the sight picture for myself (how it differs from the USP I'm using).

Maybe if I beg real hard might be allowed to give that a try. Pisses me off no end we can't just go out & plink here...hope an exception could be made so I can get a feel for it. 1200 bucks is a lot to put down without really being able to try something out!

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #13

Likes Given: 1

The manual states point of aim at 25yds but I've found that I was dead on with a 6o'clock hold inside of that distance, My XDM is new so I haven't shot it much and not beyond 25yds yet.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #14

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Forgive me folks, but I really have a difficult time understanding why folks shoot handguns at 25 yards. Handguns by nature are short range defensive weapons (hunting revolvers notwithstanding). I occasionally shoot at 15 yards but most of my handgun work is 10 yards or less. I can imagine explaining to an LEO that the fella 75 feet away was an imminent threat so you had to shoot.

If I need to shoot something at 25+ yards - I'm using my AR...

Old 01-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #15

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts

THERE ya go....NGIB FTW.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Forgive me folks, but I really have a difficult time understanding why folks shoot handguns at 25 yards. Handguns by nature are short range defensive weapons (hunting revolvers notwithstanding). I occasionally shoot at 15 yards but most of my handgun work is 10 yards or less. I can imagine explaining to an LEO that the fella 75 feet away was an imminent threat so you had to shoot.

I agree which is why I stated that most of my shooting is within 25 yards. I push the targets out that far for fun only or when I'm shooting something high powdered for hunting.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-20-2010, 02:55 AM   #17

I agree that handguns are a close range defensive tool and practice most of that discipline at 10 yards. At that range sights are not an issue as I don't use them in close (point shooting). However for some fun target shooting they are needed I do find it awkward using a 6o'clock hold at those distances. Next time out with the XDM I have to see if I'm point of aim at 25-30yds.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I agree which is why I stated that most of my shooting is within 25 yards. I push the targets out that far for fun only or when I'm shooting something high powdered for hunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
I agree that handguns are a close range defensive tool and practice most of that discipline at 10 yards. At that range sights are not an issue as I don't use them in close (point shooting). However for some fun target shooting they are needed I do find it awkward using a 6o'clock hold at those distances. Next time out with the XDM I have to see if I'm point of aim at 25-30yds.

Excellent points, guys...but I'm not going to be using it as a close range defensive tool, ever.

Strictly target shooting only. Maybe not so much during IPSC in which about 25m is the longest range you're going to find, but those SSAA target comps actually go out to 50m! We just happened to be shooting at 35m max last Saturday.

Exactly what I was mulling over, NYPD. I was seriously wondering whether a 6 0'clock hold was going to be that feasible in the heat of competition...that's why I REALLY want to be able to try this gun first. If I get the chance.

Otherwise...the other semi-auto that is available here & feels even more comfortable grip-wise is the M&P 9L (has to be the L, heh). Just not sure of the same reliability as the XD, or not...it seems to be a bit more of a mixed bag in that respect...ie trigger etc

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #19

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
I can imagine explaining to an LEO that the fella 75 feet away was an imminent threat so you had to shoot.

If a person is shooting at me or random people, and my concealed carry piece is not an AR; I don't want to run up on them to 10 yards before I shoot. That is why I find out what the greatest range of each of my weapons, and practice at those and closer ranges.

There are thousands of scenarios that may require ones shooting abilities to include longer range shooting for saving life and limb and it is prudent to be prepared for them.

Besides, I feel like I am wasting ammo if I shoot a rifle other than a 22 closer than 300 yards... other than load development of course. I consider 100 yards short range.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #20

If you're able to try both the XDM and M&P then do so. Nowhere in my area can you test drive a gun so I make my decisions based on research and a few minutes of fondling. Having done just that I can tell you it was a toss up between the XDM and M&P. The deciding factor was cost and already owning a few Smiths. I have to play with the new Springer a little more but I must say it is quite accurate, and honestly if the sight picture remains the same at distance it's not a big deal. My P-08 Luger has a 6o'clock hold and I enjoy seeing more of the target because of it.