XD sight picture
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD sight picture

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default XD sight picture

Just a quick (if ignorant) question for you knowledgable guys. The XD/HS 5" Tactical is firming up to be a likely choice for me, when the time finally rolls around when I can purchase (probably from October onwards).

I found this article Going over to the Dark Side - The Springfield Armory XD-9 Tactical Pistol

and noticed the comments about sight picture; the fact that the XD apparently has a '6 o'clock' position instead of the usual 'point of aim' variety. I had never heared of there being more than one before, heh. As far as I know (which isn't much admittedly) the HK USP club gun I'm using now is point of aim...

Of course I freely admit both gross ignorance AND lack of experience

Quote:
I did notice that I have a tendency to shoot high with this pistol. The manual says that the XD-9 is designed to use the "6 o'clock" sighting position at 25 yards, meaning that one should put the sights at the 6 o'clock position of the point you wish the bullet to impact. The manual should be taken seriously on this. The gun isn't sighted for "point of aim." shooting. Once I adjusted to this characteristic of the gun, I quit shooting high.

What do you guys say?

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My XD45 and XDSC9 both were point of aim.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My service 4" and two SC's are all POA

Old 01-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the replies

although in a way, that's made me even more confused lol

Now if what this article says is right, how feasible is it that only 1 model (5") has a different sight picture to the rest?? Hmm!

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Maybe i'm cornfuzzled as well; my manual said the same thing. Everybody who has tried my XD45 tactical/5" barrel has more or less agreed that the sights were odd and that the you need to aim just a hair low to bullseye stuff. If it was just me, i'd have written it off to my poor marksmanship, but my nephews both seemed to agree when they tried it.

Why just on the 5", i have noooooo idea. I'll compare notes with my buddy who has the 4" XD9; he wanted to go shooting this weekend anyway.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Hey thanks orangello; I'd be interested to hear what your mate says. It does seem a bit weird...

And of course, only pistols with a 5" min barrel are legal here. Naturally

Quote:

Old 01-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

This is what my XD45 manual says.

"Shooters may use a point of aim sight picture at 25 yards. This means, at 25 yards the bullet should impact the target at the point visible at the top of the front sight. Shooter may also use a 6 o'clock right picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield Armory pistols are designed to use the 6 o'clock sight picture at 25 yards. However, some pistols may shoot point of aim at 25 yards depending on shooter and ammunion.

Please forgive any typing errors.

Both of my XDs show point of aim but most of my shooting was done inside 25 yards or maybe I'm just one of the weirdo shooters they refered to.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
This is what my XD45 manual says.

"Shooters may use a point of aim sight picture at 25 yards. This means, at 25 yards the bullet should impact the target at the point visible at the top of the front sight. Shooter may also use a 6 o'clock right picture to strike the center of the target. Springfield Armory pistols are designed to use the 6 o'clock sight picture at 25 yards. However, some pistols may shoot point of aim at 25 yards depending on shooter and ammunion.

Please forgive any typing errors.

Both of my XDs show point of aim but most of my shooting was done inside 25 yards or maybe I'm just one of the weirdo shooters they refered to.

OK, by that manual quote it seems kinda variable then, spittin. I'll have to ask the one person I know who has one (although she doesn't compete in IPSC that often, being primarily a rifle shooter. And we can't just plink to test stuff either, which is a bitch)

So I wonder what's the form for 35m+? We were shooting that distance today in the SSAA target comp:

[and no, it's not me lol]

Quote:

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I agree zhuk, but that manual is for all 3 barrel lengths. Ask around, see what you find.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ahh, I see. My complete bog-ignorance is showing (again) heh

Thanks for bearing with me spittin

Quote: