XD rear sight adjustment ???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD rear sight adjustment ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD rear sight adjustment ???

Can the rear sight on an XD be adjusted with ordinary tools such as a brass punch & hammer? Or do I need something more specialized? Or send it off?
I only mention punch & hammer cause that's what a local shop says they're gonna use. Not so sure I like the sound of that.
Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have no firsthand experience with hammer adjusting my rear sights on my XD45, but i have read that the sights are set pretty tightly on the XD's. IIRC, there was some tool that was better than the hammerinpunch; i'm thinking it was something like the adjustment tool for my SKS front sight, but i am not certain.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Op... I wouldn't frquent them for gunsmiting services! Yikes.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

My XDM9 sights were so tight, I couldn't move them with a reasonably hard hit with the hammer/punch.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:41 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

a proper sight pusher runs about 140$ for the xd/m and most other semi autos.

unless your doing it for a living or are going to be doing it a lot on a fleet of xd/m's its best to find a qualified xd/m gunsmith or send it to springfield custom shop for zeroing.

personally i wouldnt use the drift method with a punch on a xdm the sights are set very very tight.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 12-29-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:21 PM   #6

Guess I'll keep shooting to make absolutely sure it ain't me (which it could be). Then if it is the sights I'll have to send it off or buy a tool. Can't seem to locate anyone local yet.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/diagnosis-handgun-inaccuracy-53591/

I would try resting on a sand bag or something to steady me up & get consistent groupings to identify the problem. There is a chart in that link that shows what small problems can do to your shot placement.

If the sights are a bit off, they should stay a bit off. Also, did yousee the bit in the manual about a "six o'clock" sight picture (for consistently low/high shots at a given distance)? It is on page 40 of the manual (also available online Springfield Armory

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #8

My XD40 shot slightly left when I first got it; tried to move the rear sight, but didn't have much luck, and did not want to hit it too hard and potentially cause some damage. I'm glad I waited, because I eventually discovered that it was my trigger pull that was doing it; one hand shots were good, two hand would go left. I still have to concentrate a little more when shooting, but I'm doing pretty well now. The weapon is more accurate than I am.

Tommy

Old 12-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #9

That's what I'm gettin. It's probably me, not the weapon. It's just funny, I can shoot others more accurate.
Still gonna work with it more before I commit to tweaking anything. As well as get some others to shoot mine, see how it goes for them.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:33 AM   #10

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Last thing I would want is some local yocal gunsmith beating my gun with a hammer and punch.

If he can't afford a sight pusher he is a backyard smith.