XD Purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default XD Purchase

I was looking to buy the Xdm for a home defense but the funds are a little tight right now so I was thinking about just getting the XD instead. Should I wait to buy the Xdm, which would be another 6 to 8 months, or go ahead and buy the XD? It there that big of a difference and benefit to the Xdm? Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2012, 02:18 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcd390 View Post
I was looking to buy the Xdm for a home defense but the funds are a little tight right now so I was thinking about just getting the XD instead. Should I wait to buy the Xdm, which would be another 6 to 8 months, or go ahead and buy the XD? It there that big of a difference and benefit to the Xdm? Thanks
No significant differences: grip, barrel, trigger and capacity are "upgraded." Both shoot sweet and reliably. XDm in 9mm and .40 S&W increases round capacity to 19 and 16, respectively....45 ACP stays at 13. Only other differences are match barrel and shorter trigger reset on XDm, nothing to wait 8 months for if you're not dead set against an XD, in my opinion anyway.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #3

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks Jpyle, thats what I needed to know!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Personaly i like the XD over the XDM

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check Armslist. You are likely to find a xdm in your price range.

Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Personaly i like the XD over the XDM
Me too. I tried them both, and just liked the feel of the XD better than the "m". But that's just me. Both are very reliable, well built platforms, and should serve you well.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2821 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 291

When SA introduced the XDm a couple years ago, the previous XD did not suddenly suck overnight.
Grip - Interchangeable backstraps are a good idea, but by no means mandatory. How long have guns gotten by without them?
Match Barrel - My XD40SC is quite accurate with it's non-match barrel. I really doubt if there are accuracy gains large enough that most people would notice.
Trigger - The XDm has a pretty good trigger for a striker gun. The XD's isn't quite as nice. It's still not bad, though. There are upgrade kits, if one feels them necessary.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 11-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can't go wrong with the xd put 3000 rounds through only one FTF due to crap ammo love it

Old 11-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Match Barrel - My XD40SC is quite accurate with it's non-match barrel. I really doubt if there are accuracy gains large enough that most people would notice.
Trigger - The XDm has a pretty good trigger for a striker gun. The XD's isn't quite as nice. It's still not bad, though. There are upgrade kits, if one feels them necessary.
I agree.
I have shot both my XDSC and an XDm side by side and couldn't tell any difference in accuracy at any reasonable self-defense distance.