XD-Mod. 2 .45acp holster, conceal OWB
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

XD-Mod. 2 .45acp holster, conceal OWB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2016, 04:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Default XD-Mod. 2 .45acp holster, conceal OWB

Bought a SPRINGFIELD XD-Mod. 2 .45acp today and I need a holster specifically for that type/model. Would anyone experienced with this particular gun and a OWB holster, leather or Kydex, share information with me on the forum? I carry concealed and if it is a leather holster recommendation, I prefer one with a thumb break. Best regards

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #2
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5053 Times on 2972 Posts
Likes Given: 4226

Concealing OWB is more difficult unless you regularly wear untucked shirts to drape over. Printing can become an issue for this approach more easily than IWB.

A quick search shows several OWB holsters with thumb breaks: https://www.google.com/search?q=owb+holster+with+thumb+release&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I use the Safariland ALS which is a bit different than a traditional thumb break (snap). The release button is between the gun and the body, so it is not readily visible to a prospective thief. Unless the release button is pressed, the gun simply will not come out of the holster. The problem for concealed carry with this holster is that it extends a significant distance below the belt. So the cover garment must be pretty long. The longer it is, the more potential you have for wind or body movement to expose the holster to view.

I use this to open carry most of the time. When I conceal, I use an IWB holster and consider the concealment to be my first step towards retention. My IWB holster is either an Old Fashioned (similar to Crossbreed Supertuck) or an all leather holster (similar to Milt Sparks Summer Special). Neither has a positive retention feature, just an adjustable drag to ensure it stays in place during normal movements.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.

Last edited by Balota; 04-16-2016 at 03:03 PM.
paul Likes This 
Old 04-16-2016, 04:04 PM   #3

Default XD Mod 2 holster

Hi Balota,
I grew up in Shawnee, Ok. Good to visit with another from Glenpool . Thank you for your educated/experienced reply. I've been carrying 8 years now and I'm definitely a OWB kind of guy. And I never carry openly, except on private property, so I probably should have posted that earlier. Your post did save me some "pc time". You encourage me to give IWB another try, I did like a "King Tuck", but I tried a "Bianchi" and stuck with it. I may as well admit it, I'm sorta chubby around the middle, a 38" waist on a 6', 215lb body. Pulling a pistol out quickly from my pants is a challenge. Living here in Frisco, TX, I always wear a shirt outside my pants and suspenders under it so that really helps with OWB holsters. And, when I tuck shirts in for formal occasion (Sunday School, eating out at IHOP, etc.) I carry a smaller pocket pistol, usually snub .38 or .22LR.

I read on a different thread, a fella mentioned how he ended up with a box of holsters before finding the one he wanted, LOL. I have about 7 myself. I am gonna check into the ones you suggested, and I may even have one made, but rather find one already manufactured due to the prices of custom holsters.

I Thank you and I appreciate your helpful reply. Best wishes to you up North.

Old 04-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #4
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5053 Times on 2972 Posts
Likes Given: 4226

We would be about the same size if I was 5 inches TALLER! I feel your pain, brother.

You might consider looking into an AlienGear holster for your XD mod 2. AlienGear is a sponsor on FTF. Not sure if they offer discounts to members. Also, I believe Safariland makes a paddle holster (easy to put on and take off when necessary) for your gun that uses ALS retention like mine.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:22 AM   #5

Default XD Mod 2 .45acp holster

Hi Balota<

I just found out about Aliengear from a Springfield XD forum I joined today. They have a lot of input on these guns. I'm gonna go ahead and order another 13rd mag, probably get it from Springfield, definitely want a factory and a mag pouch to hold the double stacks. I've even thought about getting back into IPSC, shooting there at the OKC gun club out at Arcadia. My opinion, OKC gun club is the best range within a 500 mile radius. I regret not maintaining my membership there though I live 3 1/2hrs south.

Thanks again for your input and good to hear from 'ya.
Balota Likes This 
Old 07-04-2016, 04:26 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I have Alien gear and find them too un-moving.
I like to shift my pistol when I get in and out of the car to better position it, so I built my own kydex IWB with supplies from Tandy for $10.00.