Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   XD Forum (
-   -   xd magazine sticking (

stans1xd 07-11-2013 02:23 AM

xd magazine sticking
I've had my xd9sc for about a year shooting it 2-3 times a week without a single problem. Tonight at IDPA practice my magazine springs weren't maintaining tension on the cartridges. I had to smack them several times before they worked ok. When I got home I took all six mags apart cleaned them and reassembled. Anything else I should be doing?

mountainman13 07-11-2013 02:46 AM

You're probably due for new springs.
New followers and a new recoil/ guide rod spring are probably good ideas too.

yogiboobooranger 07-11-2013 01:53 PM

Magazines are the most neglected part of any handgun. They need regular cleaning just like the gun itself does. Pay particular attention to the followers because they will collect residue and begin to hang up. I usually soak my springs and followers in Hoppes and then clean thoroughly with a toothbrush. Then wipe clean. The inside of the magazine is also cleaned with a bore brush with hoppes, and then dried and wiped clean. The follower is the only thing I put oil on when I put the mags back together. Also, be sure to check the followers for gouges, nicks, etc and be sure to smooth them out before putting them back together.
On another note, the mag springs are rated for many thousand rounds, but if you feel they are getting weak, by all means, replace them.

stans1xd 07-12-2013 03:17 AM

I shot 50 rounds thru two different magazines tonight without any problems. The magazines all had either dirt or powder residue inside. Other than that they looked OK. The springs all had good force after cleaning.

stans1xd 07-12-2013 03:21 AM

I think the problem I was having was the follower hanging up. After cleaning all six magazines were moving freely. Looks like I'll have to clean my magazines more often than yearly.

yogiboobooranger 07-12-2013 02:20 PM

Glad to hear your problems are solved :)