XD magazine spring
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD magazine spring

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD magazine spring

I purchased my XD45 service when I was living in kalifornia. I just moved to South Dakota and want to carry 13+1 in my XD. Is this just a matter of changing the magazine springs and if so does anyone know a good place to get them. Apparantly my google skills are slipping or maybe it's my patience because I can not find the springs anywhere.

Thanks everybody

Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I should think it would be simpler, and probably just as cost effective, to just buy a new mag.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
I should think it would be simpler, and probably just as cost effective, to just buy a new mag.
I have seen a few aftermarket springs for less than $15 and it only takes a second to change the spring. I just can't get an answer about changing the spring to increase capacity.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
I have seen a few aftermarket springs for less than $15 and it only takes a second to change the spring. I just can't get an answer about changing the spring to increase capacity.
Ah, the missing part of the equation. It would take me the better part of the day to change the spring (including the trip to the emergency room).

I don't know the answer to your spring question. Being mechanically inept, it would never occur to me to do other than buy a replacement mag.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The XD45 service model comes with a 13 round mags. The compact model comes with a 10 rd and a 13 rd. If you have a 10 rd mag I doubt you'll be able to stuff 3 more in there. If not, it should already have 13rds....mine does.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The XD45 service model comes with a 13 round mags. The compact model comes with a 10 rd and a 13 rd. If you have a 10 rd mag I doubt you'll be able to stuff 3 more in there. If not, it should already have 13rds....mine does.
If I would have bought it in South Dakota where I live now, or in NC where you live, it would have come with a 13 round magazine. Since I bought it in California, my XD45 service model only came with 2 10round magazines. I just want to know if the only difference between my model and yours is the spring??? It seems to me that SA would be stupid to make different mags to be legal in different states when all they should have to do is change either the spring or follower. I have emailed SA but I haven't heard anything yet.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

pull down your mag and post a picture and I can tell whether it's the spring, the follower or none of the above, pretty quick. I'd like to know just for curiosity's sake.

I doubt Springfield is going to tell you how to convert a 10rd to a 13rd. That would be a liability should you be a CA resident claiming to have left the (insert derogatory comment showing opinion of CA State Laws/regulations here) State of California.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM   #8

I found some pics on midways website last night that I am pretty sure answers my question. When I compared the pics of a 10 round mag to a 13 round mag I see a difference. The "crimp" in the side of the 10 round mag is longer than the 13 round mag. So it would appear that SA actually did make two different style mags and they can not be altered by changing the mag spring.

Oh Well...