XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5

I'm ready to purchase my first pistol and the XD(M) is a serious contender. Can someone with more experience share the differences between the 3.8 and 4.5? I know the 3.8 would be a good carry pistol and it's attractive due to the extended mag offering the full 19+1 capacity. Are there many differences in how they shoot? Is the difference in felt recoil worth mentioning?

Thanks - Bob

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowForce View Post
I'm ready to purchase my first pistol and the XD(M) is a serious contender. Can someone with more experience share the differences between the 3.8 and 4.5? I know the 3.8 would be a good carry pistol and it's attractive due to the extended mag offering the full 19+1 capacity. Are there many differences in how they shoot? Is the difference in felt recoil worth mentioning?

Thanks - Bob
Had a 4.5 & shot both but NO, not a NOTICEABLE difference between the 3.8 and 4.5-IMO-
I don't carry a XD these days but still have a 5" Tactical 45 for bedside & truck gun
Can't go wrong with either-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 03-09-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Thanks HOSSFLY!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #4

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowForce View Post
Thanks HOSSFLY!
Most welcome- Trust me- The XD series are NOT the prettiest, sexiest or even the easiest to concel but DAM they shoot & shoot every time & hit what they are aimed at Leave the fancy stuff to Bar-B-Q's & showing off to others- Take a tool that works to work

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #5

I appreciate your advice. Is there another pistol you'd recommend me comparing this to? I've looked at the S&W MP full size 9mm and the G19 as well.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 AM   #6
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2361 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

I have an XDm 9mm 3.8 and I have shot an XD (not m) 9mm 4.5. The 4.5 barrel length is on a full frame weapon/slide. The longer slide is a bit heavier, which reduces the felt recoil some. The solid handle (vs. either the magazine extension piece or the short magazine) provides a more stable grip which also helps felt recoil some. "Some" might be a fraction of an inch less scatter in a group. The longer barrel length almost certainly translates into slightly higher muzzle velocity with a corresponding increase in penetration.

If your purpose is home defense, probably the 4.5 would serve you better. If your purpose is concealment, the shorter 3.8 is more easily concealed, especially with the shorter magazine.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 03-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #7

Thank you Balota. I eventually want to get my CCW so i'm likely leaning towards the 3.8.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #8

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have the XDm 3.8". I also have a full size Ruger P89. That is as close as I can come for a comparison for you. The XD is easier to shoot than the Ruger is. I can shoot a full mag as fast as I want and stay on target well enough for combat accuracy if you are intending to carry for self defense. Best I can do for you without having shot the other XD's.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 03-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #9

I just bought the 3.8 compact and was shooting it some tonite. Man is this a sweet shooter. To me it's like 2 great guns in one. Shorter mag for CCW and full size mags for a day at the range.

I guess compared to my 1911 Colt this thing doesn't have much for recoil! LOL

I love this thing!

Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback!