Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd-m-9mm-3-8-vs-4-5-a-59779/)

ShadowForce 03-08-2012 11:02 PM

XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5

I'm ready to purchase my first pistol and the XD(M) is a serious contender. Can someone with more experience share the differences between the 3.8 and 4.5? I know the 3.8 would be a good carry pistol and it's attractive due to the extended mag offering the full 19+1 capacity. Are there many differences in how they shoot? Is the difference in felt recoil worth mentioning?

Thanks - Bob

HOSSFLY 03-08-2012 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowForce (Post 733841)
I'm ready to purchase my first pistol and the XD(M) is a serious contender. Can someone with more experience share the differences between the 3.8 and 4.5? I know the 3.8 would be a good carry pistol and it's attractive due to the extended mag offering the full 19+1 capacity. Are there many differences in how they shoot? Is the difference in felt recoil worth mentioning?

Thanks - Bob

Had a 4.5 & shot both but NO, not a NOTICEABLE difference between the 3.8 and 4.5-IMO-
I don't carry a XD these days but still have a 5" Tactical 45 for bedside & truck gun ;)
Can't go wrong with either-

ShadowForce 03-08-2012 11:59 PM

Thanks HOSSFLY!

HOSSFLY 03-09-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowForce (Post 733904)
Thanks HOSSFLY!

Most welcome- Trust me- The XD series are NOT the prettiest, sexiest or even the easiest to concel but DAM they shoot & shoot every time & hit what they are aimed at :D Leave the fancy stuff to Bar-B-Q's & showing off to others- Take a tool that works to work :rolleyes:

ShadowForce 03-09-2012 12:24 AM

I appreciate your advice. Is there another pistol you'd recommend me comparing this to? I've looked at the S&W MP full size 9mm and the G19 as well.

Balota 03-09-2012 12:33 AM

I have an XDm 9mm 3.8 and I have shot an XD (not m) 9mm 4.5. The 4.5 barrel length is on a full frame weapon/slide. The longer slide is a bit heavier, which reduces the felt recoil some. The solid handle (vs. either the magazine extension piece or the short magazine) provides a more stable grip which also helps felt recoil some. "Some" might be a fraction of an inch less scatter in a group. The longer barrel length almost certainly translates into slightly higher muzzle velocity with a corresponding increase in penetration.

If your purpose is home defense, probably the 4.5 would serve you better. If your purpose is concealment, the shorter 3.8 is more easily concealed, especially with the shorter magazine.

ShadowForce 03-09-2012 01:46 AM

Thank you Balota. I eventually want to get my CCW so i'm likely leaning towards the 3.8.

fireguy 03-09-2012 01:53 AM

I have the XDm 3.8". I also have a full size Ruger P89. That is as close as I can come for a comparison for you. The XD is easier to shoot than the Ruger is. I can shoot a full mag as fast as I want and stay on target well enough for combat accuracy if you are intending to carry for self defense. Best I can do for you without having shot the other XD's.

JohnnyIron 03-13-2012 02:15 AM

I just bought the 3.8 compact and was shooting it some tonite. Man is this a sweet shooter. To me it's like 2 great guns in one. Shorter mag for CCW and full size mags for a day at the range.

I guess compared to my 1911 Colt this thing doesn't have much for recoil! LOL

I love this thing!

ShadowForce 03-14-2012 06:08 PM

Thanks for the feedback!