Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD laser suggestions? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd-laser-suggestions-33753/)

fireguy 10-30-2010 12:37 AM

XD laser suggestions?

I've been looking on the web at different lasers available for the xd. Midway usa has one that replaces the rear sight, most others are mounted on the bottom rail. It doesn't look like there is a guide rod laser yet for the 3.8" barrel.

Does anyone have experience with the above or another suggestion, or hopefully, a resounding endorsement? Thanks for the help.

Craig801 10-31-2010 09:11 PM

I've got a Springfield 40xd subcompact with the Crimson Trace laser grip. I really like the feel of it.

SGT_Calle 10-31-2010 10:35 PM

I can't speak for the 3.8in. new XDm, but I just ordered a LaserMax guide rod laser for my XD45C. Should arrive Tuesday. I have a streamlight TLR-2 light/laser combo that lives on my FNP-45 Tac in the house/night stand that I like just fine.

fireguy 11-01-2010 09:38 PM

I've seen the one that replaces the rear sight, that would be good to not interfere with holster options. I'm not sure if I want to hang anything on the rail.

SGT_Calle 11-08-2010 12:45 AM

O.k., the lasermax guide-rod laser is awesome. I know that they don't offer one for the 3.8 yet but I think it is worth contacting them about and seeing what sort of time line they can give you.

fireguy 11-08-2010 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT_Calle (Post 382362)
O.k., the lasermax guide-rod laser is awesome. I know that they don't offer one for the 3.8 yet but I think it is worth contacting them about and seeing what sort of time line they can give you.

That is a good suggestion, get them some motivation to get the thing in production. I'm glad to hear that it is a good system, I would prefer one of them. How much work is it to replace the takedown lever with the one that has the controller? Does it just hold in with detent?

SGT_Calle 11-08-2010 12:38 PM

Very easy. You just slide the lever out with a little wiggling and muscle and slide the new one in. The switch can be pressed from either side of the frame. It's like a three position button where the middle position is off so, if you turn it on with your right index finger, you turn it off with your left. Also, cool note: the laser stays off when the slide locks at the end of a magazine.
I shot with it at 10 and 15 yards and it was super accurate.

tireless 11-09-2010 05:23 AM

I have a Viridian C5L mounted on the lower rail of my XDM. It has a smaller footprint than the SXD they market for the XD's (doesn't extend below the trigger guard) and has a very bright LED light to boot. Viridian C5L Gun Laser Sights | Viridian Green Laser Gun Sights | Glock P22 Ruger Sig Springfield XD

It can be set to strobe the light only, strobe the laser only, solid light only, solid laser only, strobe the light with solid laser or strobe the laser with solid light. Plus it shows up well outdoors in natural light. It was easy to sight in and holds zero when I take it off and put it back on.

It is more obtrusive than the op rod lasers you asked about and there aren't a lot of concealed holster options out there. Viridian makes an inside the belt for the Walther that will accomodate the laser and the website indicates more are coming. It all boils down to what you intend it to be used for and where you intend it to be used it at.

I think it's the best all around pistol laser option out there. lMHO, jw

fireguy 11-09-2010 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info, Tireless. You hit the nail on the head with the holster part. I really like the kydex type of holsters, and they are molded to fit without anything hanging on the rails. I'll have to search holsters for the model I have, I'm not sure what all is out there.

Krazeehorse 11-17-2010 08:44 PM

I have a lasermax in my XD40SC and like it very much. I think if you called Lasermax they would give you a straight answer on how far away from production they are for your gun.