Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Is the XD issued to any police departments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is the XD issued to any police departments

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine and was wondering if the XD was an issued gun for any of the state police in the US? Also is there a list somewhere that has the issued weapon of each department by state?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #2

I was just reading something on this. Sorry I don't remember where. I believe the answer was no but there was an evaluation going on to try and get it accepted. Now this may have been for just one agency, I just don't remember.

Marlin 882SS
Century C-93

Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A local pd are current;y being issued the XD40's.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:49 AM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I have read, I think it was in the COP magazine, that police departments were testing the XD due to the better ergonomics over the Glcok. I am not sure if it is true or not but who knows.
I do know that I would rather carry my XD or Sig over any Glock that I have held. My wife said she would rather carry her XD then her issued Glock 19.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:28 AM   #5

Liked 4541 Times on 2195 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Default Who Cares?

I don't put much stock in how many PD's issue a particular gun. These decisions are usually made with MUCH input from buerecrats who would'nt know a barrel from a but stock and mainly focus on which gun is less likely to get the jurisdiction sued...I.E. Long heavy trigger pulls are a good thing to these morons becasue it's unlikely that a wounded dirtbags lawyer could convince a jury that the officer AD'd his/her weapon.

Asking random LEO's is also a mixed bag because many of them carry what there handed without question and only fire when there required to qualify.

This site however, has many knowledgable shooters and LEO's who can point you in the right direction.

As for me, I'm a die hard 1911 guy who turned my nose up at poly guns for decades UNTIL I saw the XD .45 ACP's 13+1 capacity which at that time was going for a miniscule $490.00.

I bought it and though no Poly Gun's trigger will EVER be as good as an SA 1911, It is MILES better than the Glock trigger and internally looked to be a MUCH stronger design. If Hi Cap Poly floats your boat, you can't go wrong with anything in the XD line. Also, there still one of the most affordable service caliber pistols available.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 04-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Don't know if they're "issued" or not here, but when I'm at the shop doing business (BSing ) many a LEO come in and buy XDs or S&W M&Ps. Whether or not it is for off duty use I have no idea, but they like 'em a bunch.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:35 AM   #7

I have noticed that since the XD's and S&W's have came out that there are alot of people buying them instead of the Glock. I was looking at the S&W .45 in a compact. But I saw the new Springfield Mico Compact 1911 and was sold.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

There are many Departments...both PD's and Sheriff's Offices in Colorado where Springfield XD's and XDM's are authorized Duty Pistols.

Chief's like them over Glocks with the changeable rear grip panels to fit any hand size and LOVE the fact you do not have to pull the trigger to disassemble them !

I mostly see them in 40S&W and 45acp.

Colorado State Patrol LOVES their new S&W M&P 40's

Old 04-17-2010, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
There are many Departments...both PD's and Sheriff's Offices in Colorado where Springfield XD's and XDM's are authorized Duty Pistols.

Chief's like them over Glocks with the changeable rear grip panels to fit any hand size and LOVE the fact you do not have to pull the trigger to disassemble them !

My wife works for DOC and would rather carry her Sig then the Glock 19 she has to. I am picking up a XD or XDm 9 in the near future so we will see how she likes it.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #10

Liked 4541 Times on 2195 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post

You DO need to pull the trigger to disassemble an XD.

You DO NOT need to pull the trigger to disassemble an XDM

I purchase an XD as soon it was available in .45 ACP and don't find this to be of concern as long your double checking your chamber and paying attention to muzzle control.