Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD compact questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd-compact-questions-16015/)

markhk 07-22-2009 10:19 PM

XD compact questions

Two weeks ago, I purchased a new XD and was concerned that the slide release was all but impossible to activate. It finally smoothed out and when I pull the slide back beyond the slide release it will simply slide back to the ready position. Before, it would automatically activate the stop and not move forward without pulling down on the release button (the manual stated that you should use this this button to release the slide). Now it works to "sling shot" it and appears to function properly. I plan to go to the range Fri and will see if it locks back after the magazine is empty.

Another strange thing is that when the slide is locked back the barrel seems to be canted up from horizontal a little. I think I'll take it back to Gables just to make sure everything is normal. I am new to semi automatics and hopefully this is just a bit of neurosis on my part.
Mark

cameronguyton 07-23-2009 12:42 AM

The barrel will tilt up. It's part of normal operation when the slide is pushed back and another round is being chambered.

Here's a animation of the 1911 to show you.

Dillinger 07-23-2009 01:27 AM

The barrel tilt is perfectly normal Mark, and welcome to the forum AND Supporting STATUS by the way. :D

If you are worried, then definitely have it checked out by a professional, but the barrel tilt is common with a ton of semi auto handguns designed off the 1911 platform.

I can take some pictures of my 1911's and my H&K USP if that would set your mind at ease....

JD

layton 07-23-2009 01:45 AM

When I first got my XD, it was also extremely tight on pulling the slide back, but after 1000 rounds through it, it is now loose, not real loose, but firm, not like it was at first. I have had no FTF or FTE at all on it as of yet.As for the lock back on last round, mine has never failed to lock back. Also I like the white dot on the firing pin, when it is locked and loaded, you can see the dot, and you automatically can verify that it is ready to go. Also you cant see it when the slide is back on last round and that is another way of telling it is reload time.

Layton

markhk 07-23-2009 02:03 AM

xd worries eased

Thanks folks,
I thought that was all ok, but if no one had seen those problems before, I would take it back to the shop. As an ex quality technician I like a tool that is robust enough to survive a break in period. Often over energetic engineers will design precision into a machine that requires ideal conditions to function and you spend more time adjusting than working. "Excuse me mr. badguy, but I have to adjust the thingamagobang before we continue."

I just really liked firing my brothers XD compact and once mine breaks me in, I'm going to love this one.

spittinfire 07-23-2009 05:17 PM

How many rounds have you put thru it? Both of my XDs took around 5-600 rounds to really smooth out. Groups got tighter too. Give it some time and I think you'll be happy. If not, send it to Springfield. Both have been reliable as a rock and the only FTF or FTE came while I was working up a light plinking round for my 45. Once I got the crimp right, problem went away.

orangello 07-23-2009 06:09 PM

My non-compact XD45 did seem a little stiff on the slide release the first few times, i thought my thumb just needed to work out some. It either loosened up or my thumb bulked up; it feels perfect now. Enjoy the pistol.

markhk 07-25-2009 02:53 AM

got to the range today

Thanks folks,
We went to the range today and had a great time! My only complaint was that my son is leaning towards a Glock, but they have to fly free at some point. He has a friend that will sell him a Glock 22 or 27 for $350. Today my son rented a 27, but that was a bit small and kicked like a mule so he's going to rent a 22 to try next week. Don't know how concealable that one is.

I shot my wife's 38 special and the XD has ruined me for that one. My wife says it fits her hand perfectly which fits my wallet just right. The bugs have pretty much worked out of the XD and it is just flat sweet and I do like the big bang of the .45.

Succinct 07-25-2009 03:36 AM

Gee, I wish I could get to the range with my XD. It's still virginal (and slide quite, er, "stiff" as well), and there are no prospects with family stuff going on and my mother sick in the hospital out of town. Still, I get it out of the case every night to make sure it's all ready and simply imagine finally being able to get to a range and shoot it and smell the powder...

IGETEVEN 07-25-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Succinct (Post 134127)
Gee, I wish I could get to the range with my XD. It's still virginal (and slide quite, er, "stiff" as well), and there are no prospects with family stuff going on and my mother sick in the hospital out of town. Still, I get it out of the case every night to make sure it's all ready and simply imagine finally being able to get to a range and shoot it and smell the powder...

Well I wish you and your family, especially your mother, my prayers and wish all of you a speedy recovery. We want you to be able to go out to the range and shoot that XD as soon as you can. After you do, you will feel much, much better. :)

Jack