XD caliber recommendations - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD caliber recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let's talk about the rubs: A well-placed shot in any of those 3 calibers will kill. Shot placement is a product of practice, so the economics of 9MM comes into play. Getting back on target after the first shot is critical, and the lowest muzzle-flip you're going to get is from the 9MM. Magazine capacity, concealability, weight/round ratio and total cost of ownership go to the 9MM platform.
Larger hole with nominally deeper penetration (Depending on common carry rounds) goes to the .45. Bark, flash, panache? .45.
Having enough rounds to shoot an ugly fight through to the end without reloading twice? Priceless.
No, I didn't talk about the .40, because it falls victim either way you go.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Let's talk about the rubs: A well-placed shot in any of those 3 calibers will kill. Shot placement is a product of practice, so the economics of 9MM comes into play.
If speaking of an experienced shooter, the skills required for accurate shot placement, in any caliber, (physically capable that is) should already be obtained through practice. Although there is never enough practice to make a shooter perfect; there is also the matter of muscle memory.

Muscle memory describes the body's ability to adapt and develop accuracy to a given repetitive motion, over time, with the use of our brain. (paraphrased)

I took several months off shooting pistols at one point period, because I was into trap/sporting clays and the budget only allowed for one or the other. However, when I picked back up a pistol (borrowed H&K in .40) it only took me one or two practice sessions to compete with the folks I was shooting with (also avid shooters) and I was golden.

I will also add that I took a co-worker to the range for his first time and let him shoot my XD-40 and a Single-six. As much as I hate to admit it he out shot me with my Single-six, (Hey, I almost lost that finger) and hung with me with the XD. However, he immediately decided that the .40 was too much for his liking and decided on a XDM in 9mm and loves it (and shoots quite well with it).

Old 11-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm with spittinfire on this one, why get a 9mm when the size of the XD45 is roughly the same? I carry the XD45C for concealed carry with a Cross Breed Super Tuck and no one knows I'm carrying. However, if the recoil and price of .45 ammo is too much then by all means, get a .40 or 9mm.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 PM   #24
gir

I have a Colt 1911 .45 and shoot it well. Of all the handguns I've owned it's still my favorite but I wanted something a little smaller to carry. I asked a Special Forces friend and he recommended an XD.

For me the choice of caliber was mostly economics. I know from shooting a .45 that the cheap ammo in my area (DFW) runs about $25 a box when I can find it but I usually pay closer to $30. For a .40 it's usually around $17-$18 for the cheap stuff. I can get 9mm at the regular price of $10 a box for Monarch and $12 for Blazer, and it's frequently on sale for under $10.

I went with the XDsc 9mm and have been thrilled with it! I still like my Colt a little better but only a little. I've put three different brands of cheap ammo through the XD so far without a single FTF, FTE, etc., and the gun is accurate out of the box. It's a lot of fun to shoot!

If ammo price was not a consideration I'd go with a .45. If you want to shoot a lot I'd go with a 9mm. Even the sub compact 9mm now holds 13 rounds in the regular magazine.

These prices are just what I've seen in my immediate area. I talked to a friend the other day who said he was getting 100 round boxes of Winchester .45 at WalMart for $38 but I've yet to see it in stock in the WalMarts in my area, and the .40 cal folks probably know of cheaper sources.

Last edited by gir; 12-07-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Accuracy requires practice, practice requires ammo, ammo requires money. There is no perfect combination of caliber/platform (Don't even think about it, Cane!) cross-referenced to body type/ practice habits/most probable real-world scenario by cost over a lifetime. Your personal circumstances are not your neighbors, so check out every weapon you possibly can and consider ease of carry, maintainability, cost per round, capacity, penetration, time to get back on target, dependability, and you'll buy an XD 9.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #26

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
Accuracy requires practice, practice requires ammo, ammo requires money. There is no perfect combination of caliber/platform (Don't even think about it, Cane!) cross-referenced to body type/ practice habits/most probable real-world scenario by cost over a lifetime. Your personal circumstances are not your neighbors, so check out every weapon you possibly can and consider ease of carry, maintainability, cost per round, capacity, penetration, time to get back on target, dependability, and you'll buy an XD 9.
Hey noids,

When asked why he went with a double stack in his P-35 design, John Moses Browning replied;

"They ask for it in 9 mike mike."

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #27

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

While I don't own much plastic, at least it's in a proper caliber - XD .45 Compact:

Old 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #28

I own a Kimber .45 and the XD9. I must say I enjoy the .45 a lot better at the range. I have to agree withe those who preferred the 9mm for carry use. Though the two models are the same specs, the XD9 is lighter when loaded and ammo is waaaayyyy cheaper. You definitely should shoot the guns first to see which fits you best.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I own the XDm 9mm

And I love shooting it.

Around here 9mm is about 1/2 the price of .40 or .45's

I also shoot a lot of .22 for plinking and fun - cheap - cheap - cheap ammo.

Fun to shoot too.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #30

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you didn't like the Glock in .40, don't know why you'd consider the XD in .40
or .45....? Sounds like the 9mm would be good for you.