Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD better value than XDM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #61
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2262 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

???Tackleberry. You pay more than $30 for a hair cut??? We may have to at least suspend your man card for that. Do you go to some "Frou-Frou", Girlie Man hair "Salon"?? Or, is the cost of living that high in the PNW?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #62

Liked 3704 Times on 1826 Posts
Likes Given: 1005

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
???Tackleberry. You pay more than $30 for a hair cut??? We may have to at least suspend your man card for that. Do you go to some "Frou-Frou", Girlie Man hair "Salon"?? Or, is the cost of living that high in the PNW?
Well um, let me break it down...The HC is 15, if I get the hot lather neck shave thats another 4, with sales tax I'm pushing 20.56 and I always tip 5 for the great service so it' more like 25. Yeah, it's a little on the high side but finding people who can blend a fade is tough when you get away from a military base and as you can tell from my comments, I really don't mind paying more to get exactly what I want. I've tried the super cuts $7 special I always walk out of those places looking like D Jazzy Jeff with friggin lines in the side of my head.
Man Card Suspended?

Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #63
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5635 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 4718

^^^ I spent $15 on a trimmer & shave my hair myself. I consider it a free Chia pet. I've had a few friends ask me about it & later found out they started doing the same thing.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM   #64

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My FFL only asks $10.00 per gun transfer. I do give him extra but I believe they don't pay tax for the gun (since he is not selling me the gun). Tax would be for his earnings for his service (only $10 in this case).

Maybe it is different by State but that is how it is here in Austin, TX.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #65

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsnakes View Post
I asked a gun store owner in my delivery area if he could get me a xdm 40. He checked on line & told me He could get it for me for $570. GET THIS. He then told me it would be about another $50 for tax, which I don't understand, cause I thought if you buy it online in another state you didn't pay state taxes. Then He says He would charge me 10% ($57) for his commisssion. $25 shipping. $30 to receive at a FFL dealer and $5 for a freakin background check. a whopping $737. Tried to point me to the used crap he had under the counter, like I was going to change my mind & Instead of getting a xdm40 I'm now going to get a compact .38 (NOT). He will now be getting his packages at the end of the day.
Problem here is you asked him to buy and SELL you one. At that point he need to charge you tax (being a local transaction).

Old 04-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
Maybe it is different by State but that is how it is here in Austin, TX.
Quote:
Problem here is you asked him to buy and SELL you one. At that point he need to charge you tax (being a local transaction).
From what i saw while working at the MS state tax commission in an office 45 minutes from a state line, sales taxes vary greatly in their implementation from state to state. MS's law is pretty similar to West Virginia, since MS copied W.Virginia's setup; MS gaming tax law is remarkably similar to the gaming tax law in NV, since MS copied NV gaming tax law (including a part they copied by mistake and have never enforced that i am aware of). A former coworker complained that at his new job he had to deal with sales, use, contractor's, and property taxes in most of the continental U.S. & that he very much disliked California sales tax & contractor's tax rules and VERY much disliked personal property tax rules in Washington state or Oregon. There was a multistate project to get all of the states to agree on some tax definitions & such, but i'm not sure if it has gotten very far, doubt it.

Had Tack misled the FFL into believing that this was not a "sale" and was simply a transfer from a friend with no "purchase price" for sales tax (through an online dealer simply facilitating the friend's transfer), he would have still been on the hook for use tax. In most states, use tax is a way to collect an equivalent amount of tax on items that were purchased in such a way as to avoid paying sales tax. Usually, in MS, use tax is assessed during a sales tax audit of a retailer or during a state income tax audit of an individual or business, so John Doe W-2 wage earner would be playing a fairly safe audit lottery unless he was later self-employed or made some error to draw attention to his income tax return.

We had a client get reeeeeeeally PO'd last year over some use tax assessed on some tents or booths he had intentionally purchased out-of-state to avoid sales tax on. He ended up paying the use tax, though the auditor was reasonable enough to reduce it for the tents that actually purchased by others in a group purchase type situation (i'm sure the others got audited too, eventually).

GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Last edited by orangello; 04-08-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:17 AM   #67

Likes Given: 1

I have purchased several guns from out of state dealers. I pay them the price plus shipping and they send it to my FFL. He charges me $20 (their are some in the area that only charge $15). I fill out the NICS paperwork, he submits, I pick up my gun and am out the door. He makes $20 for putting the NICS info in the computer and we are both happy. Neither of us pay sales tax. If the city and state come asking for use tax they would have to prove that I made the purchase.

By the way, the Supreme Court a few years ago ruled that states cannot require a business that has no presence inside their boundaries to collect sales tax unless the Congress authorizes. To the best of my knowledge Congress has not done so.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

:facepalm:

Old 04-10-2010, 11:19 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Double Dipping? Your asking your local FFL to receive a gun you bought elswehere denying him any profit, your asking him to to handle the paperwork and conduct the NCIS check, again, without earning any mark up on your gun because you bougth it online. Think of the time it takes him to recieve and unpack your gun, call you to tell you it's in, have you fill out paperwork, call NCIS, enter the gun on his books, and he's still doing paperwork on it after you've strolled out the door with your purchase. All in these tasks will take at lease 1 hr of his time away from other customers. Do think he should wait on you for free when you did not even buy the product from his inventory?

FFL's are a business with overhead, labor cost, rent, insurance, ect...and we can not expect any business to work for free. Without these guys we would have no place to meet and ogle our next purchase and no one to recieve it and make sure we stay legal while aquiring it. Don't begrudge the man $25 to $30 bucks for taking care of you. Hell, I pay more than that for a haircut.
Hey tackleberry! He wants charge me $30 for the FFL fee plus another 10% of the total price. That's $87 total just going to him. that's the problem I have with it.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #70

Quote:
Actually no. All I asked him to do was get me a price & that was the price he came back with. The words can you buy & sell me a gun never came out of my mouth. I was just suprised he came back to me with such a high price. The question I have is, with a new gun, why is one dealer going to another to buy a gun in the first place? I thought they went directly to the manufacturer to place their order. He went on line right in front of me & told me the price I'd have to pay. Hell man, I could have done that. If that's all these dealers around here do Is go online to find a gun then all I really need them for is just to receive it.

When someone in another state wants a gun , do dealers go on line & buy it from another dealer. I'd rather just go to the original dealer selling these other dealers the guns