Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD better value than XDM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2010, 03:12 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Everything from Harbor freight is made in China. I usually try and attempt to buy quality American made tools. Sometimes you can't find 'em, but it's worth a shot.

You know what they say. . .

Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign. . .
A lot of people believe they can live by buying local. Care to tell me which computer you are using? While you're at it, check your clothes, shoes, TV, car, maybe even your gun. Where are they made? After you've done that, we can talk.

I would love to buy made in USA if I can find them AND if I can afford them.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #32

This guy put up a little video showing how to change the back strap. Looks like I need to purchase the proper size punch and then have at it with a rubber mallet.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #33

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
YouTube - How to Change the BackStrap on a Springfield XDM

This guy put up a little video showing how to change the back strap. Looks like I need to purchase the proper size punch and then have at it with a rubber mallet.
Hmm. I think I would avoid beating it with a mallet, but I like your style, sir. If you do get it off, I've seen people use wide black rubber bands pretty effectively so that you don't have to go through that every time. They shouldn't really be that prone to slipping off, seeing as how the instance that the greatest stress is placed on the gun you're squezzing the thing on.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 03-23-2010, 02:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
Okay the purchase has been made. Feel like I got a good deal. Went to the Harrisburg, PA gun show and found the 40 XDM 3.8 bi-tone for $550.00 NIB. With tax and background check $575.00 out the door. I got three 16 rd mags as there were two in the box and one in the gun. Feel like I got an extra mag for some reason. This is about $100 cheaper than any gun store around and was about $100 cheaper than many of the other vendors at the show. Happy with the purchase and I look forward to swaping the back straps in and out to see which one I like the best. Just went out and put 50 rds of Federal American Eagle and it ate them up then put about 30 rds of my reloads and it ate them no problem. Noticable less recoil with my reloads. It shoots nice. Trigger is much nicer that the S&W Sigma I am used to. I am set up to handload 40 S&W so I should be shooting this gun a lot in the near future.
Awesome!!!! Good job on Price hunting! I got mine the same price but it only had 2 mags!! You did good. Hey Im interested in reloading as well does it save you any money?

Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry 1971): I know what you’re thinking. “Did he fire six shots or only five?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?http://www.daddythrasher.com/

Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Thrasher View Post
Hey Im interested in reloading as well does it save you any money?
I imagine it does save me money. I haven't actually sat down and figured out the cost, it takes a little to get set up but after that it is only the cost of the bullets, powder, primers. I buy bullets and primers by the 1000. Once I try a few different powders and see what I and my guns really like I will buy them bigger than the 1lbs I am currently buying in. Any press, any dies, basically any reloading equipment seems build to last for several lifetimes. I just started reloading about a year ago so in time I am sure it will save me money. More important than the actual savings is that once all the major purchases have been made, it FEELS like the ammo is free. I load up 100 or 200 rounds and I really enjoy shooting them and don't think that I just spent $40 on the ammo like I would if I went to the store to buy it. I also enjoy the process of reloading, It is relaxing..it takes alot of concentration so it allows me to escape from worrying about work and such, in this way it releaves stress the same way shooting does, and I like adjusting the charge and noticing the differnt recoil and I am looking forward to using my buddies chronograph to check velocities. If you like to tinker around and have just a little OCD then reloading is great.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
A lot of people believe they can live by buying local. Care to tell me which computer you are using? While you're at it, check your clothes, shoes, TV, car, maybe even your gun. Where are they made? After you've done that, we can talk.

I would love to buy made in USA if I can find them AND if I can afford them.
Did you even read my post? I said I try to buy American. Never said it can always be done with everything in a household. And yeah I really hope we can "talk". . .

Old 04-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #37

I asked a gun store owner in my delivery area if he could get me a xdm 40. He checked on line & told me He could get it for me for $570. GET THIS. He then told me it would be about another $50 for tax, which I don't understand, cause I thought if you buy it online in another state you didn't pay state taxes. Then He says He would charge me 10% ($57) for his commisssion. $25 shipping. $30 to receive at a FFL dealer and $5 for a freakin background check. a whopping $737. Tried to point me to the used crap he had under the counter, like I was going to change my mind & Instead of getting a xdm40 I'm now going to get a compact .38 (NOT). He will now be getting his packages at the end of the day.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #38
ajb

I have An XD 45 service model and an XDm 9mm. Both are great guns. I do shoot the XDm more, but that is just an ammo cost issue. Even though I reload, the 9mm is still cheaper to shoot.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #39
ajb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy_Thrasher View Post
Hey Im interested in reloading as well does it save you any money?
After you make up your initial equipment cost it saves you a ton of money.
I'm reloading 9mm for about $6.00 per 50 and .45 ACP for about $8.00 per 50.
I could probably do it for less but I don't like lead bullets, I use plated.

Just compare that to factory ammo, even the cheapest stuff you can find.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:33 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsnakes View Post
I asked a gun store owner in my delivery area if he could get me a xdm 40. He checked on line & told me He could get it for me for $570. GET THIS. He then told me it would be about another $50 for tax, which I don't understand, cause I thought if you buy it online in another state you didn't pay state taxes. Then He says He would charge me 10% ($57) for his commisssion. $25 shipping. $30 to receive at a FFL dealer and $5 for a freakin background check. a whopping $737. Tried to point me to the used crap he had under the counter, like I was going to change my mind & Instead of getting a xdm40 I'm now going to get a compact .38 (NOT). He will now be getting his packages at the end of the day.
Yeah that sounds really bad! Ive had some charge Tax at gun shows but they were out of state running under another local dealers license. Thats a high price with everything. What state and town do you live in? ( you dont have to be too specific if you dont want Just that I can find out if my dealer can ship to someone near you.) On Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com and Buy guns online at galleryofguns.com, top brands, best price, best service, best warranty; all types of guns: revolvers, rifles, pistols and shotguns. you can do a search for local FFL dealers by typing in your area code. My dealer Clydes Armory in Athens Georgia has a nice selection and different colors for around $549.99. Most reasonable places charge $20 to $25 to receive from what I have seen. Also some Jewelry stores have FFL and can receive. you may also want to google "your state" Gun shows. I think if you can get it under $625 total price you will have done ok. Maybe a little more if you have to pay taxes. Sometimes its included in price. Its a great gun and worth they extra work to get one you like and can afford. You may already know all this stuff but hopefully it helps

Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry 1971): I know what you’re thinking. “Did he fire six shots or only five?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?http://www.daddythrasher.com/