XD better value than XDM? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD better value than XDM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you were talking about the XD Service vs the XDM 4.5, I'd say the XDM is a no-brainer...However compared to the 3.8, I'm not so sure.

The capacity is a little better than the XD, but I don't think you get a match barrel with the XDM 3.8 like you do the XDM 4.5.

I'm sure the better trigger on the bigger XDM got carried over to the smaller one, but if the smaller one isn't a match barrel...hmmmm.

It also depends on what you want it for. If you're going to CC, then I'd say go for the XD because the grip isn't as tall. If you're not CC'ing then I'd say go with the full size XDM for the improved accuracy and velocity.

I haven't figured out what niche they're trying to fill with that 3.8...maybe phasing out the XD totally? Do I see an XDM sub in our future? Oh please say it's SO!!!

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #12

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains View Post
If you were talking about the XD Service vs the XDM 4.5, I'd say the XDM is a no-brainer...However compared to the 3.8, I'm not so sure.

The capacity is a little better than the XD, but I don't think you get a match barrel with the XDM 3.8 like you do the XDM 4.5.

I'm sure the better trigger on the bigger XDM got carried over to the smaller one, but if the smaller one isn't a match barrel...hmmmm.

It also depends on what you want it for. If you're going to CC, then I'd say go for the XD because the grip isn't as tall. If you're not CC'ing then I'd say go with the full size XDM for the improved accuracy and velocity.

I haven't figured out what niche they're trying to fill with that 3.8...maybe phasing out the XD totally? Do I see an XDM sub in our future? Oh please say it's SO!!!
Improved velocity? Please elaborate.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 03-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #13

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

It took the XD .45 ACP to get me into my first piece of tupperware and I have to admit the 499 I paid was well worth a 13+1 .45 that shoots like these things do...

Going up to XDm gives you match grade barrel, interchangable backstraps, and does not require pulling the trigger to field strip.

None of these are selling points for me so I'll be gladly holding onto to my XD.

NOTE: My only complaint about the XD is the trigger, but I'm a Kimber Guy so that tells you that no striker gun's trigger will ever satisfy me. I've heard that the trigger on the XDm is shorter, crisper, and lacks the "squishy" sensation in the original XD triggers but I've never shot an XDm so this may be bogus?

If I was in the market for one or the other, I would test pull triggers on them side by side and buy the one with the crispest pull.

But hey, I'm a Kimber guy and I like crisp triggers...

Last edited by Tackleberry1; 03-17-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:44 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaggle View Post
Improved velocity? Please elaborate.
When you lengthen a barrel, you achieve higher muzzle velocity. Granted it's not as significant in pistols as it is in rifles, but it's still worthy of note. I know Glock used to publish the muzzle velocities for all of their models and you could see the differences were about 20-30fps more per inch added, but I checked and Glock no longer has those figures on their site.

I know that with rifles, most factory cartridges' figures in the .308 range are based on a 24" barrel. A study done by Hornady showed that you lose about 50fps mv for every inch of barrel you cut off. In the Magnum range, you lose over 100fps mv in some cases.

The differences may not be that much and probably aren't worth piddling about with regard to pistols, but I was at the gun show last weekend and saw the prices on some of those XDM 3.8 40 cals and they were the same as the Full Size XDM. For my money, I'd get the maximum ammount of product...the most bang for my buck.

Still nobody has clarified whether or not the 3.8s have a match barrel. It does say "Match" on the 4.5 and Springfield doesn't specify it on the 3.8.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
It took the XD .45 ACP to get me into my first piece of tupperware and I have to admit the 499 I paid was well worth a 13+1 .45 that shoots like these things do...

Going up to XDm gives you match grade barrel, interchangable backstraps, and does not require pulling the trigger to field strip.

None of these are selling points for me so I'll be gladly holding onto to my XD.

NOTE: My only complaint about the XD is the trigger, but I'm a Kimber Guy so that tells you that no striker gun's trigger will ever satisfy me. I've heard that the trigger on the XDm is shorter, crisper, and lacks the "squishy" sensation in the original XD triggers but I've never shot an XDm so this may be bogus?

If I was in the market for one or the other, I would test pull triggers on them side by side and buy the one with the crispest pull.

But hey, I'm a Kimber guy and I like crisp triggers...
Putting a Powder River trigger kit in an XD really improves the trigger. I haven't done mine but I've shot a few with them installed and there's a huge difference. As far as the XD vs the XDm - depends on whether the "match" grade barrel and different backstraps are necessary for you. I could care less so I'm happy with my XD .45 Compact - it's the only plastic gun I own...

Old 03-17-2010, 01:27 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Putting a Powder River trigger kit in an XD really improves the trigger. I haven't done mine but I've shot a few with them installed and there's a huge difference. As far as the XD vs the XDm - depends on whether the "match" grade barrel and different backstraps are necessary for you. I could care less so I'm happy with my XD .45 Compact - it's the only plastic gun I own...
Yeah I'm wondering how 'match' grade the XDm actually is compared to the original XD. Not that it matters in my case...the XDm is 1/2" too short barrel-wise to be legal here. And I'm not sure about trigger kits being legal in IPSC Production anyway...AFAIK only something offered as a standard 'aftermarket' component by the manufacturer is legal in this Division.

Guess I'll have to stick to the 5" Tactical unmodified when I finally get the chance to purchase.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 03-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I really like the slide differences they made and the magazine capacity. As time goes on they get closer in price to eachother.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:33 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A buddy had to decide XD9 or XDm9 back around Christmas; after handling them, he decided it wasn't worth it to him & got the XD for about $100 less than the XDm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I paid $570+tax for my XD45 tactical/5" in OD green (no color choice), and i love it. I even bought a OD green T6 stock for my SKS sose it wouldn't feel so alone. They make trigger kits for it, but i'm OK with it myself.
XD Trigger Kits - PRP~ XD & XDM Perfection!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
For the past few weeks, I have read just about every thread on this XD forum and am reading everything I can On-line about the XD and XDm. I have narrowed my choice down to either the Bi-tone XD40 Service Model or Bi-tone XDm40 3.8. I am wondering now with the release of the XDm and everyone wanting th newest and most improved toy. Has the XD come down in price? and is the XD a better value now since the XDm has come out? I have found The XD I am looking for about ($519.00 Bi-tone) and ($480.00 matte finish). The XDm I am looking for is around ($669.00 Bi-tone). A $150.00 difference?? I am always looking for the best value in everything I buy. How does $519. for the XD 40 Service Model compre to what you paid for your XD or what you are seing at gun stores and gun shows for the xd??
How does 669.00 for the XDm compare to what you have paid or what you are seeing in shops and shows??
I found my XDM for $549.99 at Clydes Armory in Athens GA. The trigger alone is worth it. 16+1 in the 40 XDM. They are both great but I held out for the XDM 40 and am well pleased.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 PM   #20

SOunds like you got a great deal. That is about 100 cheaper than I can find. That seems like the price of an XD around here in Central PA.