Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD 9mm Tactical 5" need info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default XD 9mm Tactical 5" need info

Does anyone have any experience with the Springfield XD 9mm Tactical 5" pistol?

I am looking for a new range gun, and it looks like pretty good deal. As a bonus they throw in a couple of extra magazines if you buy before the end of the year. My first runner up is Sig P226-X5 Tactical in 9mm.

Promo - 3 free mags and a free Mag Pouch
Expire 12/31/2010

What is the difference between an XD and an XDm? Is there a 5" XDm?

Any comparisons or comments would be helpful!

Last edited by IXLR8; 11-21-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

I have the XD .40 S&W Tactical. I like the fit of the gun in my hands and the way it shoots. I believe the 9mm is pretty much the same size. XDs generally have a good reputation for reliability, accuracy and quality.

The major differences between the XD and XDm are as follows:

XD holds 16+1 versus XDm at 19+1
XDm has a match barrel and an improved (shorter reset) trigger
XDm has backstrap inserts to adjust grip
XDm does not require a dry fire trigger pull to release slide for field stripping
XDm has different grip checkering (stippling) and different slide cuts.

Not sure about barrel lengths but I seem to recall the XDm being 4.5"

To be honest nothing there has much appeal to me to warrant the additional cost but YMMV.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The XDm's are pretty similar to the XD's. They hold a few more rounds in the mag and have non-captive recoil springs, though the latter is also true of the 5" XD. They have match-grade barrels, but for most people, the limiting factor on accuracy is going to be between the trigger and the floor, and this will be mostly irrelevant. The XD comes in 3", 4", and 5" sizes, while the XDm comes in 3.8" and 4.5".

My brother owns a 4.5" XDm in 9mm, and it's a pretty sweet shooter. The trigger does leave a little bit to be desired, but that's going to be true of any polymer pistol you buy.

Something else you might consider is the S&W M&P9. I got mine, the Pro Series model (link), at the same time he got his XDm, for only about $50 more (Cabela's was having a sale). The trigger and sights on the Pro Series are much better than those on the XDm, in my opinion, but I can't speak to the normal M&P's.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Last edited by Mr. Bluesky; 11-21-2010 at 10:50 PM.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

My son has a XD Tactical in .40 and it's a good shooter - as I'm sure the 9mm would be. I had an XDm for a short time and really didn't see much advantage over the regular XD. I've gotten out of plastic guns myself and my highest capacity gun is a Sig P226 with 18 round Mec-Gar flush fit mags...

Old 11-28-2010, 09:50 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've used one regularly in IDPA for 2 years. Very reliable, zero issues.

If ergonomically it works for you then go for it.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 AM   #6

Default XD 9mm Tactical 5''

My Springfield XD 9mm 5" Tactical was my first Springfield. I purchased it immediately after firing a friend's XD .40, 4.5. It was love at first fire and I've since added an XDm .40, 3.8, an XD .40 Sub-Compact and 2 EMP's, a 9mm and a .40. Initially, my Tactical fired a little high and to the left. I had the sights adjusted and it's been perfect since. I also added night sights to it a few months after the adjustment and it remained true and accurate after the new sights. Needless to say, I love Springfield's. I'm not a young pup any longer and I've noticed that both my .40 Sub-Compact and my .40 3.8 begin to hurt my knuckles after a few magazines and I just can't fire them as long as I can my 9mm. I bought an FNH Five-SeveN a couple months back and the recoil is so light in this firearm, I've mounted an Insight Technology M6X laser/light combo on it and it's now my main home security gun, backed up by the Springfield Tactical. I use the Sub-Compact .40 as my car gun, alternating it with one of my EMP's from time to time. I also have an FNP 9mm, which I mainly use as a practice gun because it's recoil is very light and I can shoot for hours with it just as I can with my Five-SeveN. I bought an FNX .40 Cal on Black Friday and I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to see how it's recoil is. If it's as light as I expect, I will probably trade in both my Sub-Compact and my 3.8 for the 9mm version of each. If the FNX works for me, then I'll be saving my pennies for the FNP Tactical 45.

Whatever else I might add to my collection, I'll never give up my Springfield's.
I've read that a lot of Police Departments are beginning to use them, either as the issue gun or as one on the carry list. That speaks volumes to me, but what speaks even louder is my hands on experience. I think you'll be very satisfied if you go with the 5" Tactical, it's really a great pistol in my humble opinion.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:58 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have an XD Tactical in .45 and couldn't be more pleased.