XD 9mm 4"--won't fire
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD 9mm 4"--won't fire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD 9mm 4"--won't fire

I am new here but here for a distinct reason. I really hope some of you experienced folks can help me. I recently purchased a new 9mm 4" XD,went to the range only to have it go "click". The range master informed me that the firing pin spring was to weak to set off primers. My dealer ,begrudgingly gave me another new replacement pistol. The first time out ,it worked fine but the second time ,it too went "click" and was diagnosed with the same ailment as the first....a very weak firing pin spring.
Supposedly the XD is a viable alternative to the Glock,but with better ergonomics and safties---which is why I bought it.
Does this handgun suffer from maladies such as I have described? What do you think is the problem ? How may the problem be cured ? Right now it is being fixed at Springfield ---but is it really a reliable pistol for concealed carry ? Proper maintenance is not the problem as prior to and immediately after each range trip,the prescribed maintenance according to the manual was accomplished.
Wolff Springs offers a firing pin spring with increased power and as I was told by them,"to cure just such problems".
Help ! Did I buy a can of worms ? Can it become a reliable CCW ?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have you tried different types of ammo?

If not, give it a try. Maybe you just got some incompatible ammo for that gun.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Thanks,Kdog, I have tried several types. The springs are too weak to hardly leave an indent in any. I look forward to getting it back but really don't trust it !

Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It almost sounds like your dealer is selling refurbed guns with third party components. There's just no way that would happen with two XD 9s in a row if they came from the factory. Something's rotten in Denmark.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Haven't heard of that problem, and haven't had a single problem with mine. You may want to poke around this site: http://www.xd-hs2000.com/
Good luck, and let us know what happens.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #6

Great idea GORKNOIDS----I have contacted the web site that you suggested for info on the spring problem . Will keep you posted on any results from it or Springfield.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I put 100 through mine this morning and checked a dozen or more of the primers while cleaning up and they were all punched right in.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:04 AM   #8

Gorknoids, James from the web site answered my inquiry,he suggests the
use of a Wolff extra-power firing pin spring !

Not to be a smart a$$-but I found the perfect solution.......................
Today I ran more than 500 rounds through this gun with not so-much-as-a-
hiccup. It shoots flat,hard,accurate,extremely dependable and the kick is equal
to a 9mm. I used every different
ammo that I could get my hands on,which included some stuff that I could barely
identify-it was so crusty.
When the XD gets back from Spgfld.,I will wish it a farewell !!

dens-dl-005.jpg   dens-dl-004.jpg  

Last edited by squib; 01-06-2009 at 04:16 AM. Reason: attachments missing

Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

You....went.....to the dark side? I guess that would fix the light strike issue. I know a guy who is collecting defective XD 9's and turning them in in exchange for kitten food to give to the local kitten shelter here, so instead of throwing yours away, just send it to me. Do it for the kittens. Kittens need food.

Looks like a great piece you've got there. Congrats!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #10

Didn't mean to mislead you.........I paid $550.00 + background fees and taxes. I have been told that I should receive the gun back this week and it will be "good as new" per Springfield. With that in mind Iam selling to a friend of mine(full disclosure having been made) for what we agreed to be a fair price for a defective product. That is what I should have said---didn't mean, that I am so rich as to throw away so much money !
BTW , the new gun is working great but ergonomics of the XD were ,in fact,better !