Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD-9 'simple' question from a NOOB (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd-9-simple-question-noob-20047/)

gtg749m 11-13-2009 09:32 AM

XD-9 'simple' question from a NOOB

I recently went to a range to test out a glock 19 (they didnt rent out their xd9's) and when the click is empty from shooting, the slide (i think thats what you call it, but essentially the barrel portion of the gun) stays open.

I can then reload, and push up on the slide lock and the slide will go back into position (not open position)

So the XD9 i bought, after bringing it home, I tried doing the same thing by just pressing on the slide lock and it wont go back to the closed position. My question is, is this gun just like that and you have to manually reposition the slide into the closed position or is mine defected?

thanks in advance

jwhirl413 11-13-2009 09:50 AM

gtg- i have the xdm9 and i'm pretty sure that it operates the same as the Xd9. When the slide is open and you insert a new mag all you should have to do is press down on the slide release with your thumb and the slide should close and chamber a round.

NGIB 11-13-2009 09:54 AM

My first piece of advice is get some training please. Owning and shooting a handgun is a serious responsibility and from the tone of your post you really are a newbie with pistols.

As for your question. Both the Glock and the XD (as well as all modern semi-autos) are designed so the empty magazine follower engages the slide stop and locks the slide open after the last shot. Pressing the slide stop will release the slide on either; however, if you're trying to close the slide with an empty magazine inserted it requires much more pressure to do so. Also, when new guns tend to be stiffer - especially when compared to a rental gun.

Also, it's a good idea to drop by the introductions area and tell us a little about yourself...

spittinfire 11-13-2009 11:15 AM

NGIB covered it fairly well. I agree, please get some training.

My XD45 and my XD9 were both very stiff when they were new. Give it some time to break in and it will be fine.

Also, welcome to forum! Stop by the introduction area and let us know a little bit about yourself.

canebrake 11-13-2009 11:22 AM

First, go over to the Introductions section and let us know a little about yourself.

You posted in the right section but photos would help! How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

gtg749m 11-13-2009 11:34 AM

thank you for the warm welcomes and i will definately check out the intro forum. on the other hand, although it is a new gun and suppose to be stiffer, i am pushing on the slider lock fairly hard and it does not go back into the closed position, even if i put an empty mag in. does the mag have to be loaded in order for the slide lock to function to close the slide?

NGIB 11-13-2009 11:38 AM

As you don't know what the "norm" is, I'd take it to where you bought it and ask them to check it out...

NGIB 11-13-2009 11:40 AM

As you don't know what the "norm" is, I'd take it to where you bought it and ask them to check it out. I have yet to see a gun store that wouldn't take 5 minutes to talk with a new buyer to make sure they understand how their new gun operates...

Puff 11-13-2009 04:19 PM

I have the XD9sub-compact.
Tested with snap caps.
(recommend practicing with empty mags, snap caps & getting some instruction)

With an empty mag still in your pistol, slide locks back,
pressing slide lock down will not release the slide.

If you have an empty mag in the pistol with the slide locked back
and press the slide release button while pulling the slide back at same time,
the slide will return to forward position.

If you remove the empty mag, then press slide lock down, the slide will return to forward position.

If your xd has slide locked back, & U remove empty mag, reinsert loaded mag,
press down slide lock, the slide will return to forward position with a round in chamber - ready to pull trigger & fire(condition one. Do it with snap caps)

Comparing the 2 different pistols.
The XD9 is very stiff with racking the slide and the slide release button is a bit stiff too.
My hubby's glock .45 slide is very light and easy and so is the slide release.

I don't use my slide release button hardly at all & manually rack the slide.
My hubby uses his slide release all the time.

I don't know but this could be exactly how every semi-auto works,
I just know that this is how my XD works.

Don't be learning this with live rounds.
Always keep that muzzle pointed at something you're o.k. with puttin' a bullet in!

Welcome, read, learn.
;)

gtg749m 11-13-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puff (Post 185720)
I have the XD9sub-compact.
Tested with snap caps.
(recommend practicing with empty mags, snap caps & getting some instruction)

With an empty mag still in your pistol, slide locks back,
pressing slide lock down will not release the slide.

If you have an empty mag in the pistol with the slide locked back
and press the slide release button while pulling the slide back at same time,
the slide will return to forward position.

If you remove the empty mag, then press slide lock down, the slide will return to forward position.

If your xd has slide locked back, & U remove empty mag, reinsert loaded mag,
press down slide lock, the slide will return to forward position with a round in chamber - ready to pull trigger & fire(condition one. Do it with snap caps)

Comparing the 2 different pistols.
The XD9 is very stiff with racking the slide and the slide release button is a bit stiff too.
My hubby's glock .45 slide is very light and easy and so is the slide release.

I don't use my slide release button hardly at all & manually rack the slide.
My hubby uses his slide release all the time.

I don't know but this could be exactly how every semi-auto works,
I just know that this is how my XD works.

Don't be learning this with live rounds.
Always keep that muzzle pointed at something you're o.k. with puttin' a bullet in!

Welcome, read, learn.
;)

thanks for the info. the slide lock does in fact work, just had to press down on it significantly harder than the glock 19 i used at the range.