Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD 45ACP misfeeding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default XD 45ACP misfeeding

Ok, I've been reloading for my XD for a good while now, put 500 or so rounds thru it with a 200gr, JFP using 5.4 grs of Universal and never had a single problem. The other day I switch to 185gr JFP, 6.3 grs of Universal and I start having problems. Same OAL, both Ranier bullets and I'm searching for the cause.....My 185gr load is right in the middle of Hodgdon's range while my 200gr load as a bit on the light side but that is the only variation other then bullet weight. Any ideas?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2008, 10:11 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You didn't say exactly what problems you were experiencing. I have been loading th 45acp for quite a few years now. One of the qualities about the 45 is the large variety of bullets that can be used. I have used every thing from a 260gr RNL to the standard 230 gr jacketed to various 2oo and 185gr semi wadcutters. I stopped having problems with reliability when I started running all of them through a Lee taper crimp die as the last step. I also believe that W231 is the best powder for the 45ACP.CD

Old 06-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The round is chambering properly and sometimes gets jammed in the action which requires removing the mag and racking the slide to remove. I use the lee taper crimp but I'm going to give it another look and make sure its properly set. I dont know why it would be different but its worth a try. Thanks!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Ok, I've been reloading for my XD for a good while now, put 500 or so rounds thru it with a 200gr, JFP using 5.4 grs of Universal and never had a single problem. The other day I switch to 185gr JFP, 6.3 grs of Universal and I start having problems. Same OAL, both Ranier bullets and I'm searching for the cause.....My 185gr load is right in the middle of Hodgdon's range while my 200gr load as a bit on the light side but that is the only variation other then bullet weight. Any ideas?
Sounds like a slide speed issue. The first thing you might try is making the 185 grain load with a lighter powder charge. Load up a few rounds and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
The round is chambering properly and sometimes gets jammed in the action which requires removing the mag and racking the slide to remove. I use the lee taper crimp but I'm going to give it another look and make sure its properly set. I dont know why it would be different but its worth a try. Thanks!
'Sometimes gets jammed in the action' is a meaningless expression. It doesn't really say anything about what is actually happening. Is the case extracting? Is it stovepiping, vertically, up and down? You tell me.

A magazine full of lighter bullets could, also, cause a strong magazine spring to actually be too powerful. When this happens what you usually see is middle rounds starting to nose dive inside the magazine and, thereby, causing the case head of the top round to jam up against an extracting case.

The principal way to misadjust a Lee straight-wall FCD die is by over-squeezing the finished cartridge and, thereby, causing a loose bullet fit. Still, the most viable clue you've given, so far, is to say; 'The round is chambering properly.'

Going by this fact, alone, you've got some sort of extraction problem. It could be limpwristing; it could be a weak recoil spring; it might, also, be too fast a slide speed. First, make sure the pistol is pressed back, SQUARELY, into the web of your gun hand while firing. Next, try replacing the recoil spring; and, clean the extractor claw, too. The last thing I would do is change the magazine spring - Which brings up the interesting question: Is this happening with more than one magazine?

If you need a source for reliable springs, try these people: Wolff Gunsprings

By the way, there's nothing extraordinary or, 'magical' about the Lee FCD pistol die. I can tell you for a fact that any one of the major taper crimp dies that has been properly set up is equal to, or better than, one of these much ballyhooed FCD dies.

After 35 years of reloading I've got case crimping down to an exact science! I've started to scale back; but, at the present time, I own more than a dozen properly set up RCBS and Dillon taper crimp dies that repeatedly turn out finished cartridges that are - in, at least, my opinion - clearly better than any of the second rate reloads that most of my shooting acquaintances regularly make. (And, to be perfectly honest, my friends usually think so too!)

Old 06-26-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I believe its more of a chambering issue then extracting, the old round ejects but the new doesn't chamber. I believe I typed it incorrectly the first time around, sorrry. The round is NOT chambering correctly. I had to flare the case a little more to seat the shorter bullet so I'm going to check my crimp and see if that solves the issue on the ones I have already loaded. If not, I'll try the lighter powder as suggested.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

OK, never bell a casemouth anymore than you absolutely have to in order to admit the bullet without shaving. Ideally, the bullet should JUST be able to sit on top of a slightly flaired mouth before you begin to seat it. If it is already starting down into the casemouth, then, the flair is too much.

When you crimp:

(1) A properly set up straight-wall taper crimp die should produce a slight, 'coke bottle' shape to the finished round.

(Perhaps, because of its design, the FCD die will not produce such a noticeable, 'coke bottle'; but, neither is it going to cause the bullet to be as tightly gripped by the case.)

All of my pistol dies size tightly - Some of the sizing dies have been deliberately narrow-based by the factory - and the finished rounds will fit into any semiautomatic pistol chamber I've ever tried them in. Consequently, this, 'coke bottle' shape is something I actively desire and look for in finished semiautomatic pistol cartridges.

(2) Ever hear of, 'fairy dust'? I look for VERY SMALL amounts of brass dust around the casemouth of semiautomatic cartridges after crimping. This tells me that I've got the crimping die set exactly where I want it for a nice tight lockup against the bullet.

Now we're talking about a feeding issue! Yes, start with the finished cartridge first. Then it's onto either a lighter powder charge or a new recoil spring. I don't know; and, I'm not going to guess; but, the feed ramp and bullet configuration might, also, be issues here. Good luck!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #7

You might want to try an unplated bullet. I have had problems with my 45's (Kimber, Colt and Wilson) and Ranier 200 gr. SWC's. I switched to Oregon Trails Laser Cast (a really hard alloy) and ALL of my issues went away. I also talked with the folks at Wilson Combat -- they told me the same thing -- avoid plated bullets. Jacketed or lead for me from now on.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8dirt View Post
You might want to try an unplated bullet. I have had problems with my 45's (Kimber, Colt and Wilson) and Ranier 200 gr. SWC's. I switched to Oregon Trails Laser Cast (a really hard alloy) and ALL of my issues went away. I also talked with the folks at Wilson Combat -- they told me the same thing -- avoid plated bullets. Jacketed or lead for me from now on.
Now, that's a first! Never heard that before; and, sure as heck, wouldn't have thought of it either. (Especially when I stop to think of all the Berry's plated bullets I've run through my 45's - Many, many thousands!)

Old 07-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #9

G21.45: I would not have believed it either. I was having problems with a fairly new (~500 rounds) Wilson Combat Classic. The first thing they asked we was if I was using plated bullets. I did not accept the answer. So, they sent me a box of their lead SWC's loaded to their spec's to try. First, I compared theirs to mine -- they we physically identical -- right done to the crimp dimensions. And, I was using the "Wilson load": 4.5 gr. of VV 310N -- so it wasn't about recoil parameters. To my great surprise, the lead loads they sent me ran fine; I couldn't believe it. All the while, the Raniers would FTF about 20% of the time regarless of the magizine (or position in the magazine) -- I tried 'em in 8 different mag's without appreciable difference. After loading and shooting about 1000 Laser Cast SWC's I became a believer. I'll admit, my old Colt Gov't model has no problems with the plated bullets. My Kimbers and Wilson do. Maybe I am in some cosmic force field or something, but that's my experience. So, it's lead or jacketed for me. And, I'll burn up the Raniers in my Colt and that's the end for me. Hope this helps.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #10

Love my Glock!