XD 45 Serious trouble
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD 45 Serious trouble

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD 45 Serious trouble

Hello to everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.
I had a very bad day saturday and wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thoughts were on it.
I was out shooting my 8 month old XD tactical 45, factory winchester 180 grain hollow points. Sent about 4 rounds down the range and that was the end of it. The right side of the gun under the slide blow off, cracked that handle all the way around, blew the clip out.
good thing is I was not hurt got a few scratches on hand but nothing bad.
I brought the gun back to the guy I purchased it from and he will be sending it to springfield today and he told me he never seen this happen before.

so what do you guys think springfield will do about this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Any pictures?

Glad you're all right.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #3

thanks an no sir i did not take time or even think about taking any pictures. everything went down so fast an i was so scared i just wanted to get to someone or find something out about the gun.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

damn! glad you're ok. I've never heard of an XD kb before. I hope the issue is with the ammo rather than the gun itself. Here's some additional hope that the response from springfield is prompt....

Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I've seen this happen to a M&P .45 but never an XD.
What caused the M&P to blow was a reload round with a double charge of powder.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry to hear about the mishap and glad a fellow Louisiana resident didnt lose a hand.
If the ammo was factory ammo, I'd give the Winchester people a call once Springfield lets you know what they think. If it was a reload I could only guess it was a hot load.
I've seen "factory ammo" at less reputable gun-shops that didnt have all the same ammo in the box. I promptly let them know its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It sounds like most of the force was pushed down toward the clip and handle which leads me to think the barrel wasnt completely seated in battery before the round was fired.
There are a lot of variables that can make a handgun have a critical failure, but the most common is the ammo being loaded too hot.
Keep us updated, I'm interested to find out what could have caused such a critical failure.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:28 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Melancon View Post
Hello to everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.
I had a very bad day saturday and wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thoughts were on it.
I was out shooting my 8 month old XD tactical 45, factory winchester 180 grain hollow points. Sent about 4 rounds down the range and that was the end of it. The right side of the gun under the slide blow off, cracked that handle all the way around, blew the clip out.
good thing is I was not hurt got a few scratches on hand but nothing bad.
I brought the gun back to the guy I purchased it from and he will be sending it to springfield today and he told me he never seen this happen before.

so what do you guys think springfield will do about this?
I am so sorry to hear about your XD. Even more glad that you recieved nothing but a few scratches.

Make sure you take pictures of you XD before you send it back to Sprinfield. Ensure that you keep all the ammo and empty cartirdges from that day of shooting in case you have to send it back to Winchester.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #8

I would like to thank everyone that has replied so far. as for as reloads the gun has never shot reloads, i had only shot factory rounds, all rounds were bought from a local dealer that is only first class. for as pictures i acted so fast on the situation that i did not even think of taking any. the gun is already on its way back to springfield we should hear something by the end of the week or for sure next week i was told. I sent five rounds of the same ammo with the gun and i still have about eight or nine left at home. again i want to thank everyone. soon as i hear something i will post it.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Kinda like this?

Glad your all right, otherwise you might be all left.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #10

yes sir that is the same spot. but instead of hanging on mine blew all the way off. and also from the safety on the back it cracked all the way around to the left side holding the gun....
did you send yours back to springfield?
if so what did they do for you..
do you know what caused yours to do this failer?