Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   XD 45 Custom Shop Night Sights (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/xd-45-custom-shop-night-sights-26378/)

griz45acp 04-22-2010 10:40 PM

XD 45 Custom Shop Night Sights

Hi I have an XD 45acp service model and wanted nights sights put on it. So after pricing sights, which were all over $100. After acquiring the sights I would have to have a gunsmith put them on. Most wanted $50 or more. I then called Gander Mountain. The one near where i live said the Trijicon 3 dot were going to be over $100, which was expected, but was not expected was the $120 to install them. I told the guy he must be sniffing something. The gunsmith said that the factory sights were hard to get out and he couldn't guarantee that the original sights would survive because he would have to hammer them out. I don't know about you, but i would never let a hack gunsmith hammer on any of my firearms. As a last resort i called Springfield Armory and to my surprise, Trijicon 3-dot night sights, Springfield Custom 3-dot night sights or Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8 2-dot night sights, were $105. Thats right, $105 includes the Tritium sights and installation, $8.95 return shipping. It cost me under $10 to ship the slide UPS to them. So, I went with the Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8's. Sent in just the slide on a Monday and had the slide back 9 days later and no one had to hammer on my slide as they install sights properly with a press. I'm extremely happy with the customer service at Springfield Armory and will use their custom shop again.

Chip
Warren, Ohio

NGIB 04-22-2010 10:48 PM

Just so you know, the sights on XDs are damn near impossible to remove without a professional grade sight pusher. I know many shops don't even mess with XD sights for this reason. Glad Springer took care of you...

canebrake 04-22-2010 10:56 PM

Now this is the type of info our members like to hear,

Thanks Chip.

Why don't you hop over to the Introduction section and let us know a little about yourself.

I'm originally from your area, Brookfield, and I used to work on the corner of N River and Larchmont when it meant something. Too many years ago!

Glad to have you here.

ScottA 04-22-2010 11:10 PM

The gunsmith at the shop I frequent won't touch the sights on XD's or XDm's. He told me just take it to Springfield.

Conveniently, they are in my hometown just 30 miles away. I'll have to drop my XDm off next time I go visit Mom and Dad.

griz45acp 04-22-2010 11:39 PM

Hi canebrake
well you must have worked at delphi(packard electric), 717 credit union, Quik fill or the mini mart/(used to be a bar). My mother retired from Packard in 1987. Thanks for your response. Chip

canebrake 04-22-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griz45acp (Post 274598)
Hi canebrake
well you must have worked at delphi(packard electric), 717 credit union, Quik fill or the mini mart/(used to be a bar). My mother retired from Packard in 1987. Thanks for your response. Chip

Ya, Packard Electric while I went to school from 1972-1976. As soon as I graduated I moved to Ann Arbor, MI working as an engineer for the EPA.

lonyaeger 04-23-2010 12:25 AM

Just curious...did they send the original sights back? Because I was told it couldn't be done, like the gunsmith said to you.

griz45acp 04-23-2010 02:47 AM

hi received slide back in a small hard casde and my original sight were in a bag taped inside the case and they were perfectly fine. thx

webbch 12-31-2010 03:45 PM

Anyone ever tried this tool?

XD Sight Pusher

Yes, it's my first post, don't even have an XD - but looking into them. Keep hearing how difficult is it to change the sights, and heard the official press was over $600, given as the reason that many gunsmiths won't touch 'em. This press appears to be about $100, so using it twice would pay for itself over the cost of having them installed by Springfield. Of course, this is only if the press works well....

Chad