Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD .40 Subcompact.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD .40 Subcompact.

So I originally started considering a Glock 22, but then I saw this baby sitting there and feel in love. So now I am torn! I like the subcompact, but I am afraid it may not fit my hand well (being too small). I don't want to go looking just yet, because firearm sales men are just as persistent as car sales men, IMO. But I was wondering if you all could help me decide, I will say now since XD has add the thumb safety I like it a lot more just because of that. I have a normal I guess you could say size hand, I am not too set on the subcompact, I like the look of the XDm as well, not a fan of the olive color, so I am going or all black.

Edit: Well I am not sure about the safety I said, I just watched a video of an XD, not sure if its on all.

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Last edited by NymphoGnome; 05-12-2010 at 03:39 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

As far as I know XD's don't have manual safeties. They have the grip safety, trigger safety thingy , and the loaded chamber indicator.

The glock, on the other hand, has a sensational internet following, crappy sights, the trigger "safety" ,and crappy ergonomics.

I would much rather have any XD over any glock.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2004 Times on 1088 Posts
Likes Given: 723

Take it for what it's worth. I'm biased...

I own Springfield, and the only Glocks I've handled (including the 22) were the most uncomfortable guns I've ever picked up.

Now many others are going to say get Glock, I'll say get Springfield.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Some of the XD's have manual safeties (mine does). You cant go wrong with the Springfield. The Glock is a fine gun too, but very uncomfortable (in my hand).
Try 'em both, and then get a 1911. (just kidding, sort of)

Old 05-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #5

I don't think I can handle a subcompact, I do like the double safety (trigger and grip). I will I think I ill just look into the normal XD.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
cbw

One of my son's has an XD40 and I've shot it. It's a great weapon, little, kick, accurate, holds I think 16 rounds. Well built, I would buy one, but I'm looking at the XDM's....

[The odds are always 50/50

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Any subcompact in .40 S&W will be a challenge to shoot well. The .40 is a very "snappy" round with lots of muzzle rise compared to a 9mm. I've owned small .40s but I traded them away as I was just not that fond of shooting them. My son has an XD service model in .40 and it's a good shooting gun...

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 PM   #8

The handle safety looks awkward to me, other than that I think I would like it, sub compact isn't for me but an XD still is.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #9

Liked 52 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 55

You can buy the XD subcompact from most shops that already have the extended mag's, if you get them they make the grip full size just like, well the full size models, i bought mine a few weeks ago in 9 mm and holy crap, i can shoot it mounds better then my glocks, that little thing blew my mind that i can put a whole mag threw the same holes at 15 yards and with my glock it looks like a shotgun blast, but i cant fault the glock as my hands arnt really big enough to get a proper grip on it, but anyway, if your concerned about the XD sub being to small, try holding on with the extended mag and you will find it fits like a glove.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
So I originally started considering a Glock 22, but then I saw this baby sitting there and feel in love. So now I am torn! I like the subcompact, but I am afraid it may not fit my hand well (being too small). I don't want to go looking just yet, because firearm sales men are just as persistent as car sales men, IMO. But I was wondering if you all could help me decide, I will say now since XD has add the thumb safety I like it a lot more just because of that. I have a normal I guess you could say size hand, I am not too set on the subcompact, I like the look of the XDm as well, not a fan of the olive color, so I am going or all black.

Edit: Well I am not sure about the safety I said, I just watched a video of an XD, not sure if its on all.
hell go for the 4 inch xd40, thats what i have and i have banana hands. Fits nice and shoots nice, also costs a little less.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.