Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > XD 3.8 9mm or S&W M&P 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default XD 3.8 9mm or S&W M&P 9mm

What do you think is a better purchase? I've been debating this for awhile and can't make up my mind.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 309 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 4

M&P. Out of the box dependable, accurate, very easy to handle and carry and it's made here. Don't believe everything you hear about their triggers. Compact 9 was my first, full size and Shield came later. Wouldn't have gotten the others if I wasn't sold on the first.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have owned both firearms and have nothing but great things to say about them.

I owned a Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm and I absolutely loved it. I had bought it initially for my wife but we soon discovered that it was a bit bulky for her carrying needs so we opted to get her something smaller. I then carried it for awhile myself. XD's are built like tanks and have a great feel to them. They are essentially redesigned Glocks and you will find that they are similar in some respects like the trigger. They have no safeties like a Glock other than the blackstrap safety similar to that of a 1911.

At the time, most of my pistols were chambered for .40 so I opted to sell the 9mm XD and I ended up buying the S&W M&P subcompact in .40. My agency had just switched from Glocks to M&P's for our duty weapons and I became an instant fan. They are comfortable, easy to shoot(less snappy than unmodified Glocks), and they have great ergonomics.

Both guns are great right out of the box and will serve you well. It just depends on how you like the feel and function of them and where your loyalties(if any) lie. I, on the other hand, ended up selling my M&P and buying a Glock 27 instead...

Old 11-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boru
I owned a Springfield XD subcompact in 9mm and I absolutely loved it. I had bought it initially for my wife but we soon discovered that it was a bit bulky for her carrying needs so we opted to get her something smaller. I then carried it for awhile myself. XD's are built like tanks and have a great feel to them. They are essentially redesigned Glocks and you will find that they are similar in some respects like the trigger. They have no safeties like a Glock other than the blackstrap safety similar to that of a 1911.
They do have the trigger safety as well.

Springfield 3.8. It's the gun I carry with me. Functions awesome and feels great. That being said - whichever feels best for you.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysus03

They do have the trigger safety as well.

Springfield 3.8. It's the gun I carry with me. Functions awesome and feels great. That being said - whichever feels best for you.
I did forget to mention that the similarities between the Glock and XD triggers have to do with the safety design. I sometimes forget that the Glock trigger design is a safety function which I do find redundant but that's beside the point.

A lot of folks find the Glock trigger to be quite uncomfortable. As the Glock is what I have trained with primarily, I'm used to it but can recognize why other people would have trouble. The XD has the same design and the M&P has a design of its own that also incorporates a trigger safety. I do not like the M&P trigger nearly as much as the triggers of XDs and Glocks but I understand you can upgrade the M&P pretty easily.

I would recommend to anyone that they handle a firearm, including the trigger, fire some rounds through it if at all possible, see if the gun even fits you and is comfortable. What may look nice on paper may turn out to be nothing more than an uncomfortable hunk of metal and/or polymer in one's hand.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #6

Thanks for your guys input. I ended up buying an XD 9mm 4". As soon as I picked it up I new I wanted it. Heading to the range as we speak.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #7

Gun shoots perfect. I love everything about it right now. Has anyone ever used the regular sized XD for CCW?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewy08
Gun shoots perfect. I love everything about it right now. Has anyone ever used the regular sized XD for CCW?
Great choice! I'm sure it will continue to serve you well for as long as you plan to hang onto it. In regards to your question, the full size model will be somewhat difficult to carry concealed unless you wear a lot of loose clothing. Like all double stacked polymer pistols, the XDs are quite bulky and the full size model is certainly not the most conducive to inconspicuous carry.

The only full size pistol I have ever been able to conceal well with nothing more than a light jacket is my 1911 and I attribute that mostly to its ergonomics and slim design.

Hope that helps, obviously you may find a concealed carry option that works for you with your pistol. There are a lot of innovative options out there. Just be sure to pick one that suits you and practice, practice, practice.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:11 AM   #9

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewy08
Thanks for your guys input. I ended up buying an XD 9mm 4". As soon as I picked it up I new I wanted it. Heading to the range as we speak.
Great pistol. You will be nothing but happy with it. Congrats.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlewy08 View Post
Every day every time I leave the house (except when I'm carrying a 1911). With the proper holster or carry system it works well.

Physically Challenged Bowhunters of America
http://www.pcba-inc.org/

.45 Auto…When you care enough to send the very best.

Newest Threads