Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Will the Springfield XD-45 malfunction or Jam? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/will-springfield-xd-45-malfunction-jam-9501/)

Wonder Dog 12-29-2008 09:46 PM

Will the Springfield XD-45 malfunction or Jam?

Attn. Springfield XD-45 shooters:

Will the XD-45 malfunction or jam if your arms are not locked in a shooting position? I ask this because the XD-45 is being considered to protect my home. I realize that some home defense situations you may encounter you may not have enough time to lock your arms in a shooting position if threatened by lethal force.

Thank you for your opinions

genie 12-30-2008 02:26 AM

XD Jam?

I have fired mine every which way but loose. It always does what is expected of it. Have not been able to duplicate the famous "limp-wrist" jam everybody claims Glocks do.

Dillinger 12-30-2008 02:40 PM

Here's the deal Wonder Dog - Any semi automatic pistol that is essentially "powered" by harnessing the recoil/gas pressure of the spent round to cycle the slide, eject the spent shell and chamber a new one HAS THE ABILITY to be "Limp Wristed" and not work correctly.

Now, in the real world is this common? No, the only time I have ever personally seen it happen was on a Walther PPK in .380 being shot by a rather diminutive female who was scared to death of the weapon. The .380 is not a real powerful round, the Walther is a heavy(er) style weapon and she was scared of it, so it didn't cycle.

I have heard hundreds of stories that say it happens with certain models of auto pistols, but it's not real common and I have never seen someone be able to intentionally make it happen.

I would be MORE CONCERNED with the trigger pull on the XD being as long as it is in a nervous situation and causing you to miss your target because of that as opposed to it not cycle the weapon after the first round.

JD

stalkingbear 12-30-2008 06:14 PM

I've honestly never seen an XD malfunction. I'm sure it happens but like unicorns, fairies, and liberal gun lovers, heard about more than actually seen.:D The worst cases I've seen of limp wristing have happened with 3"-3 1/2" .45s where the spring/recoil system is required to do the same job in 1/2 the amount of space.

miarifc 09-07-2009 06:28 PM

I was able to "limp-wrist" jam a rental xd-45 twice in 50 rounds. The gun likely needed a cleaning, and the ammunition was reloads. I held the gun in a normal grip then relaxed my elbow and wrist joints. Both jams were failure to feed, once with the cartridge pointed straight up and once with the cartridge still in the magazine with the slide resting open on the round.

lonyaeger 09-07-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 58246)
Here's the deal Wonder Dog - Any semi automatic pistol that is essentially "powered" by harnessing the recoil/gas pressure of the spent round to cycle the slide, eject the spent shell and chamber a new one HAS THE ABILITY to be "Limp Wristed" and not work correctly.

Now, in the real world is this common? No, the only time I have ever personally seen it happen was on a Walther PPK in .380 being shot by a rather diminutive female who was scared to death of the weapon. The .380 is not a real powerful round, the Walther is a heavy(er) style weapon and she was scared of it, so it didn't cycle.

I have heard hundreds of stories that say it happens with certain models of auto pistols, but it's not real common and I have never seen someone be able to intentionally make it happen.

I would be MORE CONCERNED with the trigger pull on the XD being as long as it is in a nervous situation and causing you to miss your target because of that as opposed to it not cycle the weapon after the first round.

JD

I'm glad you mentioned that, Dillinger. I took my XD45 to the range for the first time today. I'm a 1911 guy, and most of them have adjustable triggers, so I was surprised at how long the trigger pull on the XD is (but, once I actually got the trigger pulled, I thought it shot really well and was very accurate).

Anyway, can a gunsmith adjust the trigger? The reason I ask is because I didn't think a trigger job can be done on Glocks and the XD is very similar.

stalkingbear 09-07-2009 10:41 PM

There's gunsmith fit adjustable connectors on the market for both XD & glock. It's a simple matter to reduce the takeup & overtravel on XDs. The 1s for glock just affect the weight of pull and not travel distance.

lonyaeger 09-07-2009 10:50 PM

thanks alot

orangello 09-07-2009 11:00 PM

I'm sure it is possible, but my XD45 hasn't failed yet. I even let a young lady with minimal handgun experience try it, no problem (not a full mag ;) ). Mine does have the 5" barrel, if that matters.

Gojubrian 09-07-2009 11:23 PM

Any handgun CAN malfunction. It's more likely with cheaper firearms imo, but some require a break in as well.