Who here has .40 cal. XDM?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Who here has .40 cal. XDM?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Who here has .40 cal. XDM?

the high capacity? I am thinking about one but do not have one locally that I can wrap my hands around. Does the extra capacity make the grip thicker then the normal XD?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't own one, but I believe the high-capacity is an extended mag, which will protrude out from the bottom of the mag well. The gun should be exactly the same.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

the XD & XDM grips are pretty similar in basic size (thickness) depending on which backstrap you have installed on the XDM. The extra capacity of the XDM-40 mags over the XD-40 mags mainly comes from additional length. No extensions on the XDM -- the mags are flush fitting.

Last edited by tom777; 01-05-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM   #4

Default Xdm .40

I have had my Xdm for several months, and Love this pistol. Thekit comes with 3 interchangable rear grips to fit most any hand.
If your looking to buy a .40 cal S&W get the Xdm, you won't regret it.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The first 40 I bought was an XDm, I've only put a couple of hundred rounds through it so it's not even broken in yet. It's my shtf weapon which is great considering that with the "Gear Up" program that Springfield had I got two extra magazines which gives me a total of 64 rounds +one to start with. So far only one stovepipe shell due to limp wristing, otherwise no ftf's with various bullet weights, different brands and low to high power handloads. Magazine release is hard when the magazine has all 16 rounds loaded. I've heard that that gets better with time.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Magazine release is hard when the magazine has all 16 rounds loaded. I've heard that that gets better with time.
It is difficult to unload a full mag, BUT, if you do it just a few times, it loosens up quickly. You need a strong thumb, though.
I read a post by a guy on another forum who was incensed by this, demanded SA fix this horrible problem, blah, blah blah...
Whatta wuss.
My XDm reminds me of a phazer on Star trek. Low recoil, high accuracy, and the 16 round capacity is impressive. To me, this is as close to an "assault pistol" as you can buy out of the box.

The grips is not all that large - like the others said, it's mag length, not width.

I really like the grip safety - that is key to me.

NRA Life Member

Old 01-12-2010, 12:24 AM   #7

im a huge fan of xd but the xdm was the worst gun ive ever shot not a fan of it at all only becouse it did not feel comfortable to me. shot it one time then sold it.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I changed the backstrap to the smallest one even though my fingers are long my palm is thick, probably due to a lot of shoveling dirt, sand and gravel, needless to say the smallest backstrap make the grips feel really good. That being said, I haven't fired the XDm since changing the strap. As far as the magazine release taking a strong thumb, my thumb got a bit messed up back in 1980 when I was running a gas station and closed the tailgate on a Ford pickup and it bounced back and sprained the first knuckle on my right thumb and the way it healed gives a bit of a weakness at the angle I have to push the mag release. The guy that gave the ccw class said I should turn the mag release to the other side (as would be used by a left hander) and use the index finger to release it. I don't think it will be any problem as I'm sure it will get better with use. WVwheelgunner is right about being close to an "assault pistol" is about how I feel about it too.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #9

When choosing my first polymer 40 I narrowed my choices down to the XDM40, FNP40, Beretta PX4, and M&P40. I had to handle each in order to make my decision, and it was a toss up between the Springer and the Smith. Price and the included gear is what caused the XDM to come home with me. Considering the 17 round capacity it is surprisingly comfortable (I use the med back strap). The grip is easier to handle than my high cap 1911 (Para 14-45). I can see that the grip is slightly longer than the standard XD, which is fine considering this version is made to be a match gun. Give it a try, I couldn't be more impressed with my XDM.

"THE CONSTITUTION ONLY GIVES PEOPLE THE RIGHT TO PURSUE HAPPINESS, YOU HAVE TO CATCH IT YOURSELF." ~BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD13 View Post
it was a toss up between the Springer and the Smith.
Heh, same thing happened to me with my 9mm. I ended up getting the M&P9 Pro Series, and my brother got the XDm. =)