Torn. 40 or 45? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum >

Torn. 40 or 45?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote for the .45, for reasons already stated in this thread.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a .45 & a .40...
.45 for home defence, & at the range
.40 for carry

Looks like I'm the only one who likes the .40 better.....

I'm a smaller guy, so the .40 I can conseal better,...
Don't get me wrong, I love the power of the .45 at the range,
and it is the 1st gun I grab for home defence.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:04 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally own an XD 45 ACP and I LOVE it!! I havne't fired the 40 but I have fired the 9mm. I have the 4" barrel service model and the 9 was the same. My accuracy was similar with both, both were comfortable to shoot and so I went with the 45. If you are concidering the 40 at all I'd look at the 9mm for ammo costs if you are doing a lot of shooting. I think a 9mm with a good round is very effective for self defence and you can get the sub compact for easier carry. Of course if in any shooting, especially self defense, the most important thing is control and bullet placement. If you can't hit what you're aiming at, you aren't going to stop it.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-18-2008, 06:21 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you're going to buy a 9mm for self-defense, make sure you use jacketed hollow points.

Personally, I'll take a 1911 .45 over either the 9mm or the .40.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I for one have never been a big fan of the .40, if you look in to the .40 the only nation that uses it or has any intrest in it is the US. Military units are now looking at going back to the .45 and with a pistol like the XD45 they will have a great pistol for the future.

People talk about the 9mm being under powered, not a good defensive caliber, yet the Germans, British, and Canadian's have use the 9mm for well over a hundred years not to mention 2 World Wars and a host of bush wars. The Luger and Browning Hi-Power were used ust to name a few.

For me, I have carried the Sig P229 in 9mm for the better part of 10 yrs before I purchased the XD45 about 2 yrs ago. I Love the fact that the XD carries the same numbers of rounds per mag as the Sig.

If you choose the 9mm or .45 you can not go wrong. One of the things you must consider is ammo. Surplus 9/.45 ammo is cheaper then ammo for the .40 any given day of the week.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 AM   #16

Think stopping power, XD 45ACP 13 +1, you can't get no better than this.

GeorgiaCarry.org
BlackGunOwners.org
NRA

Old 04-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #17

The .45 is a more powerful and accurate round than the .40. The reason people are so loyal to the .45 acp is that it really is that good.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington

Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley View Post
The .45 is a more powerful and accurate round than the .40. The reason people are so loyal to the .45 acp is that it really is that good.
How do you figure the .45 is more accurate? That largely depends on the gun, and moreso on the shooter.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
How do you figure the .45 is more accurate? That largely depends on the gun, and moreso on the shooter.
Not really sure why it is, I just read that it is. Mas Ayoob makes the claim in one book I have but I don't have it with me. I agree that the gun and the shooter have more to do with it than anything else. I like the .40 but just trying to point out some differences.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington

Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley View Post
Not really sure why it is, I just read that it is. Mas Ayoob makes the claim in one book I have but I don't have it with me. I agree that the gun and the shooter have more to do with it than anything else. I like the .40 but just trying to point out some differences.
I understand that, I was just looking for something definitive. For all I know it may very well be. Don't most competitors use a .45 in 1911?

My friend has the xd in .45 and I get tighter groups than he does with my .40 3inch.

May have to start trouble....I mean a poll.