Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Tips and Tricks for Cleaning/Lubing my New XPM 9mm. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/tips-tricks-cleaning-lubing-my-new-xpm-9mm-38752/)

XDOwner 02-21-2011 01:25 AM

Tips and Tricks for Cleaning/Lubing my New XPM 9mm.

I tried to use the search function but was unable to come up with anything specific. Im looking for tips and tricks to properly maintaining my gun and any info on "How often" I should lube the pieces. I am very New to Semi Auto pistols and while ive quickly found out how easy it was to dissasemble my gun im now looking for some Info. This Seems to be a very established forum so im guessing there is probably 100's of threads but the Search feature like many forums is Lacking a bit. If there is a thread already i Aplogize and if you could just link it that would be Great.

Steven

c3shooter 02-21-2011 03:13 AM

Two invaluable items- (1) a decent cleaning kit with brush, patch holder, rod, patches, solvent and lube. (2) the owner's manual for your gun, If you do not have one for any reason, go to their website and get one. Please note- yes, boresnakes are nice, the Orvis cleaning system is lovely. Not everyone HAS or can afford everything.

Go to the dollar store- you can score 5 cheapie toothbrushes for a buck. They will come in handy for brushing grooves in slide, under an extractor, etc. Pick ones that will never be confused with your wife's toothbrush, you ill live longer. Get a small CLEAN spout type bottle- LIKE the bottle Remoil comes in. Put some of your cleaning solvent in there. Instead of dipping a filthy brush into the bottle, and getting it all dirty, drip a few drops onto a patch or brush as you need it. There are beautiful silicone treated cloths for wiping down exterior- but a hunk of clean recycled T shirt kept in a ziplock bag with a half dozen drops of oil makes a good wipedown cloth.

What is the better solvent? What is the best lube? We argue that here at least once a month. I use Hoppes and CLP Protector, your tastes may differ. I do not know of one that is bad.

Lighten up on the lube. Folks either have dry (unreliable) guns, or so overlubed that T. Boone Pickens wants to start drilling for oil. I use a lot of q-tips (cheapies from the dollar store where you got the toothbrushes) two drops of lube on a Q-tip, I can put it where I want it without submerging weapon in 10W30. SOME autos would rather have a very light coat of light grease on slide rails- I use about 2 drops of white lithium grease on my 1911.

ALWAYS CLEAR ANY WEAPON before doing any cleaning, maintenance, or adjustments. Yeah, I should not need to say that, we all know it- and we lose a few folks each year to negligent discharges.

How often? Depends. (Undergarment for senior citizens, yeah, have heard that before) Weapon has been exposed to harsh environment, wipe it down. Otherwise, wipe down once a week if it is a daily carry gun, clean after firing, and the next day after firing. If you have not shot in several months, wipe down, patch thru bore to remove dust, lint, cracker crumbs, spiders, BHO's birth certificate, etc. Or go shoot more.

XDOwner 02-21-2011 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 450023)
Two invaluable items- (1) a decent cleaning kit with brush, patch holder, rod, patches, solvent and lube. (2) the owner's manual for your gun, If you do not have one for any reason, go to their website and get one. Please note- yes, boresnakes are nice, the Orvis cleaning system is lovely. Not everyone HAS or can afford everything.

Go to the dollar store- you can score 5 cheapie toothbrushes for a buck. They will come in handy for brushing grooves in slide, under an extractor, etc. Pick ones that will never be confused with your wife's toothbrush, you ill live longer. Get a small CLEAN spout type bottle- LIKE the bottle Remoil comes in. Put some of your cleaning solvent in there. Instead of dipping a filthy brush into the bottle, and getting it all dirty, drip a few drops onto a patch or brush as you need it. There are beautiful silicone treated cloths for wiping down exterior- but a hunk of clean recycled T shirt kept in a ziplock bag with a half dozen drops of oil makes a good wipedown cloth.

What is the better solvent? What is the best lube? We argue that here at least once a month. I use Hoppes and CLP Protector, your tastes may differ. I do not know of one that is bad.

Lighten up on the lube. Folks either have dry (unreliable) guns, or so overlubed that T. Boone Pickens wants to start drilling for oil. I use a lot of q-tips (cheapies from the dollar store where you got the toothbrushes) two drops of lube on a Q-tip, I can put it where I want it without submerging weapon in 10W30. SOME autos would rather have a very light coat of light grease on slide rails- I use about 2 drops of white lithium grease on my 1911.

ALWAYS CLEAR ANY WEAPON before doing any cleaning, maintenance, or adjustments. Yeah, I should not need to say that, we all know it- and we lose a few folks each year to negligent discharges.

How often? Depends. (Undergarment for senior citizens, yeah, have heard that before) Weapon has been exposed to harsh environment, wipe it down. Otherwise, wipe down once a week if it is a daily carry gun, clean after firing, and the next day after firing. If you have not shot in several months, wipe down, patch thru bore to remove dust, lint, cracker crumbs, spiders, BHO's birth certificate, etc. Or go shoot more.

Thanks for the Update, Im not really strapped for Cash and I do believe in trying to buy quality Products to take care of them so they will last. Here's what i have currently.. I have a Outers cleaning kit (5 Years old) that i used for my rifles and .22 HK Sportsmen pistol. I Live in a Small town and last night Me and the Wife had to run to WalMart last night and i picked up a "Winchester" Pistol kit that had the 9mm Bronze brushes and the Blend Mops. I also picked up a can of "Winchester" Break Free Powder Blast.