Striker retaining pin failure on XDm 9mm Compact
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Striker retaining pin failure on XDm 9mm Compact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2359 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 2484

Default Striker retaining pin failure on XDm 9mm Compact

It's broke. I'm sad. But look on the bright side, now I can justify renting towards my next purchase!

Seriously though ... I have just a little over 1000 rounds through my gun. I do dry fire during the week and live practice once a week, so I might have as much as 2000-3000 dry fires on the gun as well. That doesn't sound like very much wear and tear to me. I field strip, clean and lubricate after each range visit. I plan to start using snap caps during dry fire just to eliminate that potential problem.

The guy at my LGS said that he has seen this failure on several other XDm including 5 others that are currently in the process of getting the replacement pin from SA. I called SA today and gave them my serial number. They looked up my registration and confirmed my mailing address. A replacement pin is on the way. Good, quick, friendly response with no Mickey Mouse BS (Thanks, Patty!)

I have a few questions: What is a reasonable life expectancy for the retaining pin (or other small parts within the gun)? Is shooting 100 rounds a week a lot?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #2

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I've heard the XDm's have the pin problem but no experince with them - I still use my XD- I dont dry fire - period - Dont care what anyone says - I dont dry fire ---
IMO 100rds a week is NOT a lot - There was a time i shot 5-6 times that a week
Not so much anymore, for the past 30 yrs I've been able to step out my back door & shoot so It not nessasary to shoot one gun a lot at one time if that makes any sense?

BTW- I like this of yours-"Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 02-28-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Did you ever remove the retaining pin for cleaning??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I find the value of my xd9sc is when I carry it. So I have 600 rounds through it since august 2010.

I don't dry fire mine because I have had no accuracy problems at all. I shot 50 rounds last week and hadn't shot it for 3 months. And cleaned up at 10 yards.

I have a 92fs for heavy range duty.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #5

I have never removed the retaining pin for any reason. My cleaning consists of breaking the weapon down to 4 parts: remove the slide from the body of the weapon, remove the recoil spring, remove the barrel.

I am a new shooter (first time with a handgun was Aug 2011 at age 57). Dry fire has helped convert my trigger yank/jerk/pull to something closer to a squeeze. Still have a ways to go on that, but getting better.

Now that I have run into this problem, I'm going to start using snap caps instead of empty dry fire. I'm also going to use the snap caps mixed at random with live rounds to get feedback about anticipating recoil.

At this point, my accuracy is not that great. Out of 25 rounds at the chest of a BT-5W target, 4-5 land in the 9 area (all left of center) and the other 20 or so cover most of the 10 area. Groups average about 4-5" scatter and 1-2" off center.

Did get an ego boost last week. First round fired hit the bottom of the 1 in the center "10"! Finally my X-ring is no longer the safest place on the range!!!

One quick followup: Any feedback on number of rounds fired before rework/repair is likely?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 03-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #6

Have you ever thought of taking it to a gunsmith and see if you have any burring on your firing pin? Mine did and once they smoothed it out and everything it helped out. I don't do as much range time as you do, but it could be part of the problem.. or i can just be blowin smoke..just a thought....If you have a buddy who reloads have him build you some snap caps that have a spring attached to the primer so that way you have some forgivness when your firing pin hits it. <Armorer friend of mine suggested the snap cap idea.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #7

My baby is at the gunsmith now. Got the replacement pin, he installed it and it still wasn't right. He disassembled (much more than I do) and reassembled twice. Still no good. He's going to spend more time on it this week (that was during a busy Saturday!) and get it right or get it back to SA.

I tried using some reloaded casings (normal 115gr bullets mounted and crimped into spent casings). My hope was to make it easier to mix the dummy rounds in with live rounds to check for anticipation. I had checked them to see if they were going to have setback problems, but they had none. They worked for about 5 or 6 cycles, but then the gun jammed pretty bad. Apparently the casings had swelled enough to create a problem. Also, my feed ramp and barrel were nearly bone dry. Note to self: lube is good for more than just sex!

Now I have some real snap caps for when I get baby back. My only problem with the snap caps is they don't weigh anything. So when I'm loading a magazine, it's impossible to not notice where the snap caps are. Guess I'll have to load two magazines at random, then pick one of the two at random so I can't cheat myself on anticipation checking.

Balota

Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 PM   #8

Looks like it wasn't just the retaining pin. Firing pin also appears to be damaged. Gunsmith is sending the gun back to SA. Just when I was starting to get a handle on my anticipation problem, I'm stuck here anticipating the return of my gun...

Life goes on. Now renting various 45 caliber guns to try out for my at home defense. Leaning towards the XDm 5.25 45. But with this problem with the retaining pin, I may decide to go back to an ordinary XD45.

Balota

Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 AM   #9

WOOHOO!!! My baby is back! Gunsmith took a closer look for a bent firing pin. When he pulled the firing pin assembly apart, out popped another small piece of the retaining pin that broke. Firing pin is OK. Looks like the retaining pin did its job and gave its life to protect the firing pin. Amazing how they can design the weak link in a gun so precisely.

Still gonna try other 45s to see what I like.

Balota

Old 03-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #10

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota
WOOHOO!!! My baby is back! Gunsmith took a closer look for a bent firing pin. When he pulled the firing pin assembly apart, out popped another small piece of the retaining pin that broke. Firing pin is OK. Looks like the retaining pin did its job and gave its life to protect the firing pin. Amazing how they can design the weak link in a gun so precisely.

Still gonna try other 45s to see what I like.
Try hitting up Powder river precision, they make a pin set for the xd and xdm in stainless steel should be pretty strong and its like $15 or less for all of them