Striker ?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Striker ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Default Striker ?

Most likely a dumb question but here it is. I leve my XD cocked and ready to go 24/7. How long before I'm going to have to replace parts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I believe that the common misconception is that a spring at rest, or a spring under load, is being worn, when in effect they get worn out going from one condition to the other, over and over again.

If the weapon is cocked and you are not cycling it through fire, or constantly dry firing it, day after day I would say to check it once a year, or after a range session, and if it looks worn or appears to be soft, replace it.

Same question comes up all the time with magazines and leaving them loaded. Lots of testimony that of mags sitting for years fully loaded without a hassle.

Plus spring quality today is pretty damn good, so I think you are fine to be honest.

And if I am wrong, BELIEVE ME, someone will be along with a link shortly after this post bumps it back up to the top of the list.

JD

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Most likely a dumb question but here it is. I leve my XD cocked and ready to go 24/7. How long before I'm going to have to replace parts?
As long as you keep it pointed in a safe direction and exercise proper trigger discipline, you should be able to retain your parts.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Coyotenator Likes This 
Old 10-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Congrats, that is the way the gun was designed to be carried. If you are like most of us, you likely will not have to replace parts in your lifetime, unless you use it for competition shooting. Now having said that, guns are mechanical devices and as with any other, are subject to Murphy's Law.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Thanks for the info. The only time it gets unloaded is to put range ammo in or well you know the other reason I would unload it.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 72

I have had mine for 5 years or so and it is except for cleaning time ,always loaded ,with one in the pipe, and I have had ZERO issues with it or the mags.
I also have put 1000s of rounds thru it and never had a FTF or malfunction of any type.