Steered away from the XD - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Steered away from the XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1008 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Do you buy Shell, Mobile, or BP Fuel?

XDM is a sweet firearm, which I carry. M&P Shield is very slightly incrementally better, but not worth it to me to purchase.

They are all great firearms

Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The only 9MM in our house is a Boberg for my wife. That said, I own both a Glock 30 and 36 and recently an XDs in .45 ACP. The XDs is my first choice for carry. (Yes, some of us in Illinois have been allowed to carry for years, but very few of us.)

Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own a XD 9MM service model and love it! The XD is made in Croatia which is maybe why they are deterring you from buying one. Not really sure because other than safeties there's not a big difference on paper. A coworker bought a M&P 9mm and he likes his a lot. I have shot his and I don't like the M&P's trigger as much as the XD. It feels grittier. Kind if like sand is in the trigger. He cleaned it really well and that helped but it still feels sandy. They both are very accurate out of the box and both have performed flawlessly. BUT as others have said it depends on what fits the shooter's hand. I picked up a bunch of different pistols before I decided on the XD. Best advise is just to put hands on them and see what she likes. Oh and what fits in your budget lol

Last edited by drtybrd97; 03-08-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #14

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

You would be hard pressed to find a better pistol or value in 9mm than Ruger SR9 or SR9C

Made in Prescott, AZ USA

ruger-sr9-c-left-side.jpg  

Old 04-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #15

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I agree, I purchased the XDM 5.25 9mm competition. I love the fit, feel, looks and performance of the weapon.

image-2168781457.jpg   image-3074559898.jpg   image-2981235787.jpg  

S&W M&P Sport
Magpul CTR stock
Magpul MOE Grip
B.A.D lever
Bi Pod
Ladder rails
Quad rails
Single point sling/ Adaptor
Red Dot, light & Laser
Fore Grip

Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

In this day and age of striker fired polymer pistols, most of the major brands are pretty much alike. Subtle differences in grip design, sights, and other ergos make each a slightly different animal. As suggested, have the wife handle and shoot as many as she can. In the end, it will be her decision as to what fits her and what she can manipulate safely. It is quite possible she may lean towards a .380 rather than a 9mm. Let her shoot various calibers as well because, after all, the ultimate end here is a gun she can handle, shoot and carry well. It may need to be used in a self defense situation, and usually more than one shot is required to end the confrontation. She needs to be able to handle the recoil and to be able to put her follow up shots where they need to be. So, do not hurry the decision! And in the mean time, let her train with what you have now so that in an emergency, she can use that weapon if needed.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

She ended up going with the FNH FNX-9. 1, she decided she liked double action / single action, 2, she liked the sights, she can use them without her glasses, & 3, she liked the aggressive grip, saying, "there's no way I'm going to drop this"

J

Old 04-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD View Post
She ended up going with the FNH FNX-9. 1, she decided she liked double action / single action, 2, she liked the sights, she can use them without her glasses, & 3, she liked the aggressive grip, saying, "there's no way I'm going to drop this"

J
what works for her and she is confident in, is probably the best choice. she likes it, so her confidence in it goes up and that will translate into her shooting well with it. good choice.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #19
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD

J
Great choice, in addition to the fact that it fits her well!

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 04-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #20

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After taking a county sheriff's sponsored shooting course, my wife shot a deputy's Glock 26 on the live fire range, and thought that would be her carry pistol.

When we went to the gun shop, they also had an XD-9 for her to try, and she expressed a definite preference for the XD. I was quite happy with her choice, since my EDC is an XD-40 service.

This was before the XDm arrived on the scene. I have no doubt she would have opted for it were it available at that time given the ability to customize the grip size.

As time went by, she decided to carry something a bit smaller, and now has a Sig P-238 Lady's model, which she loves.

Bottom line, it will have to be your wife's choice, and if she's of smaller stature the XDm might be just the ticket.

ETA: The Gen 4 Glocks also have the adjustable grips, as you may know, so that may be a viable alternative.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Last edited by treehugger49; 04-28-2013 at 04:05 PM.