Steered away from the XD
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Steered away from the XD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Steered away from the XD

My wife is in the market for a home defense handgun as a replacement and/or supplement for the trusty Remington 870. She's small so my preference of .45ACP doesn't suit her. She handles the 9mm much better.

It takes us forever to make major purchases because no stone is left unturned. Spec wise the XD Service Model 4 or 5 inch is exactly what I'm looking for. It compares well to the Glock 17 & 19 which I'm also considering but having a hard time finding. Also up for consideration is the Smith and Wesson M&P 9.

Back to the XD - With Glock as the reference, and the Smith and Wesson as the made in the USA option, where does Springfield Armory fit in? (I would like to buy one of their M1As one day!). We visited two different local gun stores and both recommended the M&P over the XD but couldn't really back it up with facts. What does this forum have to say?

Thanks,
J

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

she should test out as many pistols as she can. Make certain that she can manipulate the slide on any pistol you guys settle on. My wife is all of 5'1" and she can barely manage the slide on my P229 (9mm) and can't rack my Cheetah (.380), but can rack my SIG 1911 easily, go figure...

Old 02-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Liked 54 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Naturally we all only really know what we have, and in my case I have more XDs than anything else. I have had absolutely no problem with any of them and shoot them better or as well as my 1911s. No failures, no ammo sensitivity, nothing negative in well over 5000 rounds between the 3 (XD Tactical 9, XDSC 9, XDM 45).

I have no experience with the M&P or Glock so I am not going to say they wouldnt be better - but it is hard for me to see how.

BTW, my wife - who has a very small build - can rack the slides on all three. She just had to learn the "push-pull" method.

Last edited by Mick3411; 02-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2986 Times on 1493 Posts
Likes Given: 332

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.
I like XDs, and I own one. My XD40SC was my carry gun for some time. Nothing that small should be that accurate and it's never had any issues feeding anything, including my cast bullet reloads. When I bought it, I though the grip was miles ahead of the Glock and I preferred the feel of the trigger as well.
That said, I think the M&P is an appealing option. They weren't one of the options I looked at at the time. There weren't any on hand and I liked the XD enough that I wasn't terribly concerned about missing out.
Glocks are good pistols with weird (IMHO) ergos and squishy triggers. If you can adjust to the feel, you'll be fine. I never could.
BS aside, Glock, M&P & XD, all very good pistols. It's going to come down to personal preference and what works best for her.

NRA Life Member

“The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop” — P.J. O’Rourke

Old 02-14-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The only reason for staying away from the xd is the fact that they made several improvements with the XDm. Better trigger, higher capacity, slimmer slide, interchangeable back straps so it can be customized to your grip (or your wife's). Do yourself a favor and go for the XDm though. Well worth it.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

I hate the trigger on the XD, love the XDm though. I am a Glock guy but just got an XDs and love it. IMO if you're going 9mm, go Glock. However if the ergos fit better I have heard nothing negative of the XD

In god we trust, all others we monitor...

Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5818 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 402

xdm 9mm is a GREAT gun. my wife loves her's and i enjoy shooting it as well. ive got two xdm's in 45acp a 4.5 and the new 3.8 compact. they go bang everytime have very good capacity good triggers excellent ergonomics great natural pointing guns and they come with a hardcase mag loader holster 3 magazines mag holder.

they are extremely accurate as well. very very fast guns due to the single action triggers and short trigger reset. glock and m&p are both considered dao guns since the trigger also partially cocks the striker which gives those guns their mushy trigger feel.

the xdm also has a nice grip safety which means your not as likely to glock log yourself as your are with a glock or S&w

just my opinion. i suggest renting one and try for yourself. im not a fan of the XD too much like a glock

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 757 Posts
Likes Given: 691

between the XD and the MP its a hard choice. both are great options. see what she feels more comfortable holding and racking. my XD has had zero issues with several thousands rounds through it and the triggers not bad. another suggestion is look to the ruger SR9 and SR9C. they are great little pistols. very reliable and also made here in the US.

also have you tried this or had her try this??

http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have found my XD45 to be perfect in reliability and very good in accuracy; my shooting buddy has the XD9 with similarly glowing reports.

As was said, let her try them on and make her own final choice.

While you are at it, let her try something different, something da/sa like a 1911 or cz-75b or even a little Bersa.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #10

I have both the XDM 9mm 4.5" and the XD9SC. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my XDM. It's accurate, precise, feels great in the hand, and is balanced well with the 19 (that's right, 19) round mag. It feels "right." The SC is smaller and grips differently but has a great operation. It feels great and is SURPRISINGLY accurate, even at 30 meters. I like the overall look and design of the M's better than the standard XD. I have held several S&W m&p's and the feel "cheap" compared to my XDM. I'm sure they are great pistols, just feel different than what I like. The guide rod on the Springfield is much more solid than the S&W. I do own an M&P 22, and really like it but I don't think you can compare it to the 9 (the 22 is actually made by Walther). I can't compare it to Glock but I think we can all accept Glock as a matter of personal preference than reliability. Shoot as much as you can and see what you like. I really like the whole package of Springfield. The design, ergonomics, safety features, operation, looks, etc. I can't wait to buy the XDS 9mm!