Stainless vs blued
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Stainless vs blued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stainless vs blued

I have a choice of either stainless or blued slide on a XD-S that will be my primary CCW. Outside of "prettier", what are some pros & cons for each as a CCW? Is there a difference on ones eyes while quickly drawing a bead on target? Is one easier to conceal, draw, maintain in that use, etc.? Let the discussion begin!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Stainless will likely be more resistant to rust and scratches but probably heavier and shiny. I prefer dark weapons.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7783 Times on 4671 Posts
Likes Given: 9760

Purely cosmetic but I like stainless steel weapons because I don't like when the bluing gets worn off blued guns from holster wear.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 281 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I prefer SS because I live near the shoreline and corrosion due to salt air exposure is an issue. Low maintenance is also a plus but you will still have to wipe paw prints off and wipe the gun down at the end of the day.

SS will rust, it will just give you more of a margin for error. Carry guns get a lot of holster wear and people often go SS and duracoat or other treatment for durability.

I don't have an issue w shiny - if I have to draw my gun I want the BG to know exactly what I have in my hand and make an "informed decision" as to whether he should continue his threat on my life or loved ones.

I have a laser as well which serves the same purpose. I would rather not have to shoot anyone. If shiny gets the job done, I consider it a plus.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For a carry weapons, seeing a lot of moisture I would choose SS. Seems to me it would hold up to corrosion from sweat better.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
I prefer dark weapons.
There is a coffee joke in there.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Lol.........

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3085 Times on 1546 Posts
Likes Given: 377

XDs aren't blued. It's a finish/process called Melonite. It is pretty much the same as Glock's Tenifer finish. It is extremely durable. Early XDs that had a slightly different finish (I forget the specifics)which had some issues. It's been sorted for a few years now. IMHO, if you get a recent production XD to rust, you either neglected or abused it. I have a XD40SC, the finish has been just fine. But it all honesty, I'm not that hard on it.
Extra credit reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferritic_nitrocarburizing

Quote:
Besides Glock several other pistol manufacturers like Smith & Wesson and Springfield Armory, Inc. also use ferritic nitrocarburizing for finishing parts like barrels and slides but they call it Melonite finish.
So, they are both durable, get whichever finish you like best.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-20-2012 at 07:28 PM.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Blued steel, although they look really nice, is pretty high-maintenance compared to modern finishes like nitride coatings, parkerizing, hard chroming, or stainless steels.

Blued steel is incredibly thin compared to coatings and plating and not very scratch resistant. Blued steels also are not very rust resistant and can start to develop rust if they are not kept oiled and/or properly stored. Afterall, bluing is in itself a byproduct of oxidation.

Perhaps shiny stainless steel might be a problem if you're doing stealth operations in the military where you don't want a reflection to give away your position, but I hardly think it's a big deal for CCW.

However, many manufacturers are going towards low-glare satin and sandblast finishes on stainless steel.

About the only con to stainless steel I can think of is that they can be a wee bit heavier than carbon steel all things being equal.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 86

After reading about the Melonite finish I personally would see no advantage in the stainless finish that would warrant the extra cost of the stainless. Mine is the Melonite finish and I have experienced no problems with it at all.