Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!! - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVwheelgunner View Post
I made a brief comment on my XDm, but I should expand.

First the XDm comes in .40 S&W. Back when I began shooting, there WAS NO S&W .40, only 9mm and .45. I firmly believe the .40 is better than both. My .40 FMJs will zip through a 2"x4", the HPs will expand reliably, etc.
Everyone complains about the stout recoil of the .40 compared to the 9mm & .45 That's because it is more powerful than either - that's simple physics. Now that I'm in my 50's, I have no desire to own any other semi-auto other than a .40 S&W. I remember the old rounds, and they were inferior.
Second The XDm has (arguably) better ergonomics than any other large semi-auto: Point and shoot, apologize to the widows and orphans later.

Third You can shoot all day with one magazine, using a killing load.I'm not kidding, the XDm is the closet "legal" gun to something considered a military weapon (If Hitler had built the XDm, it would be a war crime to own one.)

Fourth , reliability: Mine fires any weight/size .40 S&W, case closed.

Fifth The blasted thing is accurate, a gunfighters dream. It reminds me of a Phazer used on Star Trek. Lethal as Hell.

In closing, this is more of a assault weapon than a pistol. I'll never let mine go unless it breaks. and that's damn unlikely.
When our arms are finally taken, the XDm will be among the first to go...
I don't think I read this when it was posted. That right there is funny!!

Old 06-02-2010, 02:53 AM   #32
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Dang... I like the .40 as well, but I'm not going to marry it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #33

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Damn...and here I thought that my Beretta 92 was the closest thing to a legal military handgun.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #34

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Damn...and here I thought that my Beretta 92 was the closest thing to a legal military handgun.
what about a m1911a1?

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #35

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
what about a m1911a1?
Plus three full magazines within easy accessability and I'd be a lot happier than owning my XDm. Maybe if I had waited for the .45 ACP ammo to return to the shelves, like it has, I'd have gone the 1911 route but it was just that at the time I was without an auto weapon for carry and needed something and the high cap XDm seemed to fit the situation. As it is the 8040F Cougar has fit the ccw carry situation for me and the XDm is now the SHTF piece stored for whatever may come.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #36

I'm looking to get a XDM or XD for my first handgun.

I'm likeing the 4" XD or 3.8" XDm for dual purpose personal protection and range fun.

I see that the XD uses the 6 o'clock sight picture which you have to aim lower than most traditional guns. This kinda bugs me and would prefer something more traditional.

Going over to the Dark Side - The Springfield Armory XD-9 Tactical Pistol

Is the XDm sight picture the same as the older XD??

Am I worrying about sight picture too much?
Friends will likely want to go to the range and shoot my gun as well so a safe gun with more traditional aiming convention seems most appropriate.

I haven't decided on a caliber yet but I'm thinking 9mm is the way to go for my first gun. or maybe just start with a 0.40. I'm not sure there is much a downside of starting with a 0.40 except the cost of ammo. Then later get a .45 in a tactical model when I want a show pc.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 PM   #37

Likes Given: 2

Default Same Concerns Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiesun View Post
"I tossed and turned over 9mm vs 40 caliber vs 45 caliber. I read more about handgun calibers, bullet manufacturers, bullet effects on flesh, requirements for human incapacitation, etc. until I was blue in the face and wound up right back where I started with the .40. Seems to be great middle ground for penetration and expansion without hurting the pocket book like a .45 and without being "nit picky" in order to get good performance like a 9mm"
Lately I have found .45's exactly the same price as the .40's
I can't decide if I should go XDM 40 or XD .45
Of course they will make an XDM 45 but who knows when and if they will have the chance... Please help me out. Thanks.
Yeah, I went through the same angst. My first pistol was an XD9SC then an XDm9. After that I had sleepless nights wondering if I should have gone .40S&W or .45.
I weighed cost and availability. I figured 9mm was common and should be readily found during a crisis. Of course this was just before the tight supply of ammo in 2009.

I traded in my sub compact and now have the XDm9 and the new XDm40 3.8.
Now I am considering if I should get the BRAND new XDm45 to round out the family. I should have all the bases covered!

Old 06-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteorman69 View Post
Now I am considering if I should get the BRAND new XDm45 to round out the family. I should have all the bases covered!
sounds like a terrible idea unless you are looking for the 3.8 barel for CCW but you already have a good 40 for that. Otherwise, you'd be better off with a 5" 1911 for accuracy. 9 shots of a 45 should be good and I'd think a single stack would be more reliable. At least that's what I'm gathering for info on heavier rounds.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #39

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berny2435 View Post
sounds like a terrible idea unless you are looking for the 3.8 barel for CCW but you already have a good 40 for that. Otherwise, you'd be better off with a 5" 1911 for accuracy. 9 shots of a 45 should be good and I'd think a single stack would be more reliable. At least that's what I'm gathering for info on heavier rounds.

Not sure I get what you're saying here as the XD (and XDm) are very solid, reliable, and accurate guns. You'll actually see much more negative stuff posted about SD ammo through a 1911 than you ever will on an XD.

BTW, I'm easily confused...

Old 06-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post

Not sure I get what you're saying here as the XD (and XDm) are very solid, reliable, and accurate guns. You'll actually see much more negative stuff posted about SD ammo through a 1911 than you ever will on an XD.

BTW, I'm easily confused...
just saying that he already has a 40 to conceal. Might as well get a longer barrel gun. 1911s seem to be very popular for using 45 rounds. I'm sure a 5" or 4.5" XD/XDM would do well also. A 1911 would spice up the collection, maybe even add some bling