Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!!

Alright. I finally got my XDM 40 today and figured I'd share the un-boxing with you guys. I purchased the weapon from Puglia's Sporting Goods in Metaire, Louisiana for $609 dickered down from $635. Here's the link to the pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Mud4Brains/MySpringfieldXDM40?feat=directlink

Open Up:
Speaking of un-boxing, the first thing I should talk about is the Box. It's a true Pelican case and it's awesome..right down to the picatinny rails running down both sides. Maybe I'll put a laser and tactical light on my box? LOL. I looked up the smallest Pelican case you can buy for handguns and they start at $68. You can shake the box around and nothing rattles or moves around inside. It's nice to know if it gets accidentally thrown around in my truck, everything will be nice and safe inside. Opening the box, you can observe that there are perfect cut-outs for the weapon and every piece of gear it comes with. In the bottom-left corner there are three cut-outs that have not yet been punched out that I'm not exactly sure what they are fore. There's two small holes about 1/2" in diameter and a long cut-out that looks like a rectangle with a cigar shape running through it. Not sure what that's about. The lid also has a foam insert with all the literature tucked behind with a nice hole punched out with "XDM The (M)Factor" displayed through.

GEAR!
This weapon comes with tons of gear. With the gun, you get the standard gun lock, two 16 round mags, a mag pouch, a holster, two extra backstraps for adjustability, and a magazine loader! I also just got in on the "XD Gear Up" program that entitles me to two more 16 round magazines and another magazine pouch for FREE after mailing in their form and a copy of my receipt. I also noticed that the mag pouch has picatinny rails on each side and the mag loader has a picatinny mount. The mag loader attached to the mag pouch looks like they were made for each other and would be extremely handy at the range so you don't have to chase down your P-case. You could also attach your tactical light/laser to the other side of the mag pouch when not in use. Another nice versatility touch in my opinion.

Fondling:
Handling this weapon is a dream. I wanted this gun as soon as I saw it's availability but feared the high capacity would make the XDM a "Fatty" in my hand. This is absolutely not so. It seems that to keep it thin, they simply made it taller which is fine by me as I've got good sized hands and prefer the room. The grip contours are scary comfortable. It's got all the right grooves in all the right places to make it feel perfect. I don't know how else to say it. It comes with the medium-sized back strap installed which I haven't changed out yet to see if the others are better for me or not. I thought also that maybe I'd miss the finger notches that Glock has, but I don't.

I was also concerned with the grip safety simply because I've never owned a piece with one and didn't know how I'd like it...You don't even know it's there when gripping the XDM. The only little issue I see with it is you have to have it fully depressed to get the slide back. This is only a problem when I try to lock the slide to the rear as I have the habit of turning the muzzle to the left when locking the slide back so I can use the end of my thumb to push up the slide lock rather than the side of my thumb. I turn the weapon sideways as I am O.C.D. when it comes to immediately checking the chamber ensuring a safe and clear weapon (military trained). I found that I can fully depress the grip safety with the pad of my index finger and still satisfy my compulsion for safety. Why should I change?

The trigger feels great. I think it has a wider face than the Glock 22 that I'd owned previously and I think that's for the better in my opinion as I feel it helps me know that I'm pulling the trigger straight back rather than torquing the weapon left or right.

The slide works very firmly which I like due to the fact that I have two girls (6 and 8) that would in no way be able to pull it back (even though they definitely know better). In my night stand I keep a full mag with NOTHING in the chamber. I've got my German Boxer Early Warning System downstairs and my wife is a very light sleeper and will wake me up if she hears anything. If I've got enough time to get it out of the nightstand, I've got enough time to rack the slide. Also the sound of racking the slide may be enough to intimidate any intruders (if the Boxer doesn't work).

The magazines go into the piece firmly and definitely and the mag release seems to feel right. I was late getting home so i didn't buy any cartridges yet to see how the mag release feels with a fully loaded magazine, but I've heard tell that it's a bear to release a full magazine on the XDM. It's such a bear that Springfield acknowledges it's a problem and if you send it back to them, they'll polish the shelf of the mag release to ease the pressure required to kick the mag. I knew this before I bought it and accepted the risk. I figured I'd see for myself and if I have a problem with it I'll follow suit and send it in. In another forum, a guy said the problem goes away with a -2 load out, but he said he may remove a coil or two from his mag spring to alleviate the problem if sending it in doesn't remedy the issue to his satisfaction. I probably won't be doing this, problem or not.

Disassembly:
Too easy. Drop the mag, pull back the slide, rotate the disassembly lever, release and pull off the slide. No need to pull the trigger before disassembly (Safer). Put it back together with the same ease and quickness. I remember my Glock, I had to wrap my thumb around the grip with my fingers over the slide and find the "sweet spot" in order to break the weapon open. Not so with the XDM.

Shooting:
As I said, I haven't bought rounds for my new XDM yet but plan on getting some tomorrow. I'm going deer hunting this weekend and may bring it with me so I can pop off some rounds afterward and get a feel for it. If not...probably next weekend when I can get to my local range. I think I'm going to like shooting the XDM because I liked shooting my Glock 22. I could've been more accurate with my Glock, but I blame Glock's sight picture which I never liked. XDM's got a nice simple 3-dot identical to the Berettas I used to use in the Navy. Easy peasy, Japanesey.

Summary:
Thus far (without shooting it), I'm totally satisfied with my purchase. It feels and looks great. I've been planning this purchase for about two years and was going to get another Glock 22 for the .40 versatility and the capacity, but wasn't really comfortable with Glock's sight picture. I liked the the Springfield XD, the M&P, H&K ($$$), Sig ($$$), and others in 9mm, .40, and .45 but wasn't really satisfied with one thing or another. The XDM came out and it pretty much solved all the issues I was having with all the other manufacturers. I tossed and turned over 9mm vs 40 caliber vs 45 caliber. I read more about handgun calibers, bullet manufacturers, bullet effects on flesh, requirements for human incapacitation, etc. until I was blue in the face and wound up right back where I started with the .40. Seems to be great middle ground for penetration and expansion without hurting the pocket book like a .45 and without being "nit picky" in order to get good performance like a 9mm. Springfield XDM had the capacity, caliber, name familiarity, gear, match barrel, adjustability, feel, look, box and a hundred other things all in a price that I was looking to pay.

Hopefully I like shooting it! I'll post my results after I shoot it.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Mud4Brains; 01-15-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Some afterthoughts I failed to mention.
ratpacker Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2009, 12:16 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's what I call a "write-up"! Congrats on your new best friend.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #3

Congrats Man. I picked up that same exact gun yesterday. Was looking for the Bi-Tone, but decided on all black. Took a few days to get it in since they had to order it but it was worth the wait!

Problem is mine is all loaded, and I won't be able to get to the range for a couple of weeks.

Springfield Armory XDm .40 S&W
Davis Industries P-380

Old 01-17-2009, 01:39 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default !!!update!!!

Just bought some rounds for it today and my weapon does not have an unreasonable amount of stiffness in the mag release with a full 16 round load out. There was a guy in another thread who said he actually had to lay his XDM on his table and put his weight into it in order to get the mag out. I think there may be something wrong with his weapon or he's just a weakling.

It is a bit stiffer than my Glock was, but definitely not unreasonable, and not enough that I would have brought it up if I hadn't heard about it.

It is quite a bit heavier than my Glock though. I think the XDM has quite a bit more steel in the slide though...oh yeah...my Glock 22 was bought new during the low-cap years so it only came with 10 round mags. That could have a little to do with it.

I get to go shoot it tomorrow! If I get a deer, the first bullet from my XDM could very well be a finishing head shot!!! Sweet!

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains View Post
Just bought some rounds for it today and my weapon does not have an unreasonable amount of stiffness in the mag release with a full 16 round load out. There was a guy in another thread who said he actually had to lay his XDM on his table and put his weight into it in order to get the mag out. I think there may be something wrong with his weapon or he's just a weakling.
Congrats on your excellent choice. The XDm that I shot did not have any problems with the mag release either. However, a friend got a standard XD compact .40 for Christmas and with the magazine fully loaded the release is very hard to push in. After stripping about 2 rounds off the magazine release worked easily.

I am guessing that the fully loaded magazine has so little spring tension that it binds the release once the magazine is seated with the rounds pressing against the underside of the slide (thereby pushing down against the release catch). I wonder if this will ease up over time?

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 AM   #6

"I tossed and turned over 9mm vs 40 caliber vs 45 caliber. I read more about handgun calibers, bullet manufacturers, bullet effects on flesh, requirements for human incapacitation, etc. until I was blue in the face and wound up right back where I started with the .40. Seems to be great middle ground for penetration and expansion without hurting the pocket book like a .45 and without being "nit picky" in order to get good performance like a 9mm"
Lately I have found .45's exactly the same price as the .40's
I can't decide if I should go XDM 40 or XD .45
Of course they will make an XDM 45 but who knows when and if they will have the chance... Please help me out. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiesun View Post
"I tossed and turned over 9mm vs 40 caliber vs 45 caliber. I read more about handgun calibers, bullet manufacturers, bullet effects on flesh, requirements for human incapacitation, etc. until I was blue in the face and wound up right back where I started with the .40. Seems to be great middle ground for penetration and expansion without hurting the pocket book like a .45 and without being "nit picky" in order to get good performance like a 9mm"
Lately I have found .45's exactly the same price as the .40's
I can't decide if I should go XDM 40 or XD .45
Of course they will make an XDM 45 but who knows when and if they will have the chance... Please help me out. Thanks.
I've got a friend in the same dilemma right now. Wants a gun, wants a .45, wants a Springfield, wants an XDM 45....which ain't here yet!!! He's kicking around buying an XD 45, but I told him I'd wait for the XDM...cuz the moment he buys the XD is when the XDM will come out and he'll kick himself in the a$$ forever after.

I was going to wait for the XDM 45, then I figured I'll get the .40 as my "Duty" gun then I'll get a nice 1911 later on for my "Showpiece"...because you absolutely positively MUST have a .45 at some point!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #8

Default Got Mine Today

Got my XDM 40 this afternoon. Reading this thread, first I heard about the clip issue. Bought my rounds, hope to get to the range in the next day or two and try it out. Reading comments here made me feel good about my choice. Any issues or questions after the range I'll post here.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:22 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

With a fully loaded magazine try pushing up on the magazine, or chambering a round to take some tension off of the magazine. Should help with releasing it from the gun.

I love my XDM40! I've got a XD45, but would get rid of it tomorrow for an XDM45.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:35 AM   #10

I just picked up a XDM .40 this past weekend. Put 100 rounds through it without a hitch. It's definitely my favorite gun.