Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/springfield-xdm-40-out-box-9972/)

zhuk 06-25-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessBear (Post 293410)
Good afternoon,

I was reading through your thread, and didnt find anything about the slide being a problem. I tested quite a few 40 cal. guns and found myself in love with the XDm. I am a new shooter and really would like to have this gun. But, I looked at one new, and it might just be my inexperience/ being a little weak in my hands, but the slide was giving me a hard time. I was just wondering if it loosens up after you shoot it for awhile.

Thank you,

Jess

I'm presuming you mean racking the slide?

Have you tried this by gripping firmly and pulling it with the rear hand on top of the slide, and pushing forward at the same time with your dominant 'gun' hand?

So you get this counter-pull/push thing simultaneously? Ought to be easier to work the slide if you do it that way. An ex-SF guy gave me that tip back when I first started, and its always worked for me (and my puny hands lol)

dongeorgio 06-28-2010 01:32 AM

I want to get an XDm .40 but do not know where to get the best price. Do you guys have any web sites that give good deals?

Also, I see on some sites that they are selling the XDm in Bi-tone. Is that the same as a stainless?

Everything I read on the XDm is glowing and I shot one and it felt incredible . Do you have any more critical comments on the gun?

What would be considered a good price for the 4.5" .40 XDm in stainless?

Thanks for your help

ScottA 06-28-2010 01:35 AM

Check out Bud's

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

meteorman69 06-28-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongeorgio (Post 307104)
I want to get an XDm .40 but do not know where to get the best price. Do you guys have any web sites that give good deals?

Also, I see on some sites that they are selling the XDm in Bi-tone. Is that the same as a stainless?

Everything I read on the XDm is glowing and I shot one and it felt incredible . Do you have any more critical comments on the gun?

What would be considered a good price for the 4.5" .40 XDm in stainless?

Thanks for your help

I got my XDM40 3.8 at Fin, Feather, & Fur in Ohio. I shopped around a bit and they had a fair competitive price. Nice store too. I drove the hour to get their and had a good time looking around.
Fin Feather & Fur Outfitters - Hunting Rifles, Camping & Archery Equipment, Sporting Goods

P.S. I love the XDM's I also have the 9mm XDM.

Deadeyedick 07-19-2010 12:21 PM

Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!!

Being in Mid-east for the last few years has gotten me worried. I decided to buy a pistol (one thing I told myself I'd never do). I'm a hunter and never found a purpose for pistols. Seeing what is happening in the states made me start researching for a nice pistol for self defense for my wife and myself. I saw an article that said the XDM was the pistol of the year (a couple years ago). Not knowing what caliber to get I started reasearching the 9m and then asked my wife about the gun and she said she had fired 45's when she was in the military. Hearing that I upped the range to 40 S&W. Having read the ballistics/performance of the 40 I made a new purchase of the XDM 3.8 40S&W the other day from a local dealer by my house ($515). Thanks for the useful info you guys have put on this board. I will be home in November to test out the gun (can't wait) and show wife how to shoot it.

I'll be back later to say how well the shooting goes.

dongeorgio 07-19-2010 01:26 PM

I purchased the .40 in 4.5" bi-tone and love it. It melts to your hand like butter. I have never fired a pistol I have enjoyed this much. Congrats on your purchase.

EdwardH 08-24-2010 05:00 AM

Love At First Shot

To say that I'm having a bit of a love affair with Springfield handguns, is something of an understatement. I bought my first one in March of this year and got my fifth one last week. In the order that I got them, I have a 9mm XD Tactical 5" barrel; a .40 Cal XDm 3.8; a 40mm XD Sub compact, a 9mm 1911 EMP and a .40 Cal 1911 EMP. Each one fills its own niche for me and I can't say enough about the pistols. They're well designed, accurate, safe, reliable, and durable as hell from all I've read. Did I mention they're fun to shoot?

The first round I fired through the 9mm Tactical was an FTE and when I first fired the .40 Cal EMP I had maybe 5 FTE's in about 200 rounds. That concerned me a bit, but the 1911 is extremely tight, especially the .40 and that might have had something to do with it. I wasn't shooting the best of ammo either. A few days ago I put 250 rounds through it with only one FTE. When I first handled it in the gun store, it was so tight I couldn't pull the slide back far enough to lock it open. Pretty embarrassing because I'm a big guy. It's loosened up quite a bit as I've put more rounds through it. But absolutely no problems with any of the others, except the one FTE on the 9mm Tactical first time out.

There are a lot of very fine handguns out there and in my mind, the XD's, the XDm's are among the best. The EMP is in another class I think, but it makes a perfect carry piece and it's the most accurate of them all. Needless to say, I'm sold.

Mud4Brains 12-13-2010 09:01 PM

Still Pluggin'

Well after owning my XDM for almost two years now, the only thing that has changed is the round count...and that's for the better as I have yet to have a single problem of any kind.

Every single round that I've squeezed the trigger on has went off, ejected properly, and was replaced perfectly by a new round that went on to follow the influence of the last one.

The updated link to the pics is here:

My XDM-40

I never moved them or anything, the link just quit working.

I was sitting on the fence a little while back thinking I was going to replace my XDM-40 4.5" for the XDM-9 4.5" for the capacity and follow-up shot speed, but after putting another very quick and accurately placed 232 rounds through it this past weekend, I think I'll stay with my initial selection and keep the reliable penetration with all types of .40 cal ammo. Plus, I like to use what the cops are using...so when the zombies get here, I'll have plenty of ammo just layin' around.

I see that Springfield has introduced the new XDM-9 Compact. I'll just be patient and get the .40 version...as we ALL know it's coming...eventually. That'll replace my current S&W 642-2 Crimson Trace .38 as my CCW. I'm figuring that the hi-cap mags for the compact are just XDM Mags with sleeves on them that I'm sure will be available to purchase separately.

meteorman69 12-13-2010 09:35 PM

Get 'Em All!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud4Brains (Post 402427)
I was sitting on the fence a little while back thinking I was going to replace my XDM-40 4.5" for the XDM-9 4.5" for the capacity and follow-up shot speed, but after putting another very quick and accurately placed 232 rounds through it this past weekend, I think I'll stay with my initial selection and keep the reliable penetration with all types of .40 cal ammo. Plus, I like to use what the cops are using...so when the zombies get here, I'll have plenty of ammo just layin' around.

I see that Springfield has introduced the new XDM-9 Compact. I'll just be patient and get the .40 version...as we ALL know it's coming...eventually. That'll replace my current S&W 642-2 Crimson Trace .38 as my CCW. I'm figuring that the hi-cap mags for the compact are just XDM Mags with sleeves on them that I'm sure will be available to purchase separately.

I know how you feel trying to decide on which gun and which caliber. I ended up getting the XDM9 4.5, XDM40 3.8 and just recently the XDM45ACP 4.5. I figure if I run out of one type of ammo I can just grab whatever is around. "Gotta be prepared for those Zombie invasions..."

I figure on the XDM.40 3.8 to be my choice for carry. Nice balance of power and number of rounds.

Gotta say I fell in love with the XDM.45 first time out (but ammo is more expensive). I swear the felt recoil on my .45 is no more than my .40 and maybe less than the 9mm! I'm puzzled!

Deadeyedick 12-14-2010 04:23 AM

Xdm 40 3.8

Sorry about the delay in writing back. I was home on vacation and time was valuable to spend with family. I fired the XDM 40 3.8 AND WAS EXTREMELY IMPRESSED!!!! For not ever having shot a pistol I did very well. We shot at these iron type of pie plates (about 8-9 inch diameter) at about 12-15 yards and I hit it every time. I didn't really try fast shooting at the plate....that will be at another time at range. I shot 155gr Win silver tips. The kick was less than I expected. Thanks to all that write on this blog/site for all the great info you put out.