Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Springfield XDM 40 Out Of The Box!!! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/springfield-xdm-40-out-box-9972/)

RCHanlin 11-09-2009 03:59 PM

I just joined your forums due to this thread alone... I'm looking for another firearm (not that I need anymore but then you can never have enough IMO) simply because I realized I did not have anything in .40cal. I surfed around looking for opinions on everything from S&W to Glock and to the SA XDm. I know that my XD45 is a dream to shoot and is extremely accurate (wish I could say the same for my Colt 1911 but that's another story).

So it seems to come down to reliability and quality. I heard too many bad things about the M&P's and don;t want to drop a ton of my hard earned cash on a Sig or H&K. Looks to me that the XDm is the way to go. Got a friend that's turning that way also.

Lot of great input here.. Look forward to sharing more with you folks as time goes on. Most likely you find me hanging out in the C&R forums though...:D

lightning96 01-06-2010 01:19 AM

XDM 9mm

Hay just got my XDM 9mm two days ago and from what I can tell it's a good deal with everything you get and I can not say more than what you said already congrates.:D

spittinfire 01-06-2010 01:30 AM

So now that you've made love to your new pistol(safely I hope) how about a shooting range report?

Glad you brought it home, you'll love your new XD.

WVwheelgunner 01-12-2010 12:22 AM

It took me about five minutes to fix the magazine "problem." Simply work with it a few times, problem solved - or at least it was for me.

INMIline 01-17-2010 10:03 PM

I have 3000 rounds through my XDM9 and never an issue. Enjoy

lightning96 01-18-2010 01:49 AM

The range

Went to the range last week shot about 250 rounds through my XDM 9mm,very happy.Shot at 25 feet and once I got dialed in I was putting the bullet,s in a one inch square. Must say was impressed with how accurate the gun is out the box.:D

Laszlo1 01-19-2010 01:34 AM

Saw the current thread here and have been very please with my XDM in 40S&W.

I hoped to offer folks considering the XDM some video of its operation. I rely heavily on videos & reviews when deciding to purchase anything and wanted to give something back to show others interested. Everything is stock out of the box and I hand-load my own. All full power 40S&W using Ranier 180 FMJ TC rounds, 1x & 2x fired mixed headstamp brass, Unique powder & CCI primers. I also clean/lube with synthetics.

Check out the link of a video I posted several months back with my second outing of the XDM-40.

Hope this guides some to descide to acquire an XDM- its an awesome pistol.

Mud4Brains 02-07-2010 04:30 PM

Busy Year!!!

Wow! Man have I been busy. I haven't even checked in on my own thread.

Anyway, I've fired my XDM40 quite a few times including finishing some pigs that I shot with my 45-70 Marlin.

I really couldn't be happier. It was easy to familiarize myself with how the weapon performs and be quite accurate with it. I was hitting 6" ding targets every time at 25 yards (not feet).

Recoil is very manageable...probably due to the low bore axis.

The magazine release is even less of an issue the more I use it. Looking carefully at the mag release inside the mag well, you can see that there are two slanted surfaces on the button itself on both sides of the actual shelf that hold the mag in place. The two slanted surfaces are for ambidextrous use so obviously, being a righty, the left side button has worn in and works very smoothly...however, pushing the release from the right side still requires a more than firm push.

Someone who finds it too much of an issue could easily remove the mag release button and with about five minutes of polishing with a Dremel could have the problem solved.

All aside, I have been given no reason to regret my purchase.

BTW, Remember my buddy who was waiting around for the XDM-45? Well he went and bought a Taurus 24/7 OSS. It's supposed to be their best Operator/Duty Carry. Well, the first day at the range, he can't get through a full mag without the slide locking to the rear on the last round or two. I told him to send it back, but he said he's not worried about it.

There's a few people out there who are happy with their Taurus's and have had no problems with them, but those people seem to be a very small minority to those who have had multiple issues and wouldn't own another one.

I tell you. People just don't listen when I tell them that with guns, you most certainly do get what you pay for in most cases. When you're life is on the line and you need those last two rounds and they aren't there for you, you'll wish you would have just spent the extra $100 to $150 and buy a quality product.

Just my $.02

WVwheelgunner 02-09-2010 05:09 AM

I made a brief comment on my XDm, but I should expand.

First the XDm comes in .40 S&W. Back when I began shooting, there WAS NO S&W .40, only 9mm and .45. I firmly believe the .40 is better than both. My .40 FMJs will zip through a 2"x4", the HPs will expand reliably, etc.
Everyone complains about the stout recoil of the .40 compared to the 9mm & .45 That's because it is more powerful than either - that's simple physics. Now that I'm in my 50's, I have no desire to own any other semi-auto other than a .40 S&W. I remember the old rounds, and they were inferior.
Second The XDm has (arguably) better ergonomics than any other large semi-auto: Point and shoot, apologize to the widows and orphans later.

Third You can shoot all day with one magazine, using a killing load.I'm not kidding, the XDm is the closet "legal" gun to something considered a military weapon (If Hitler had built the XDm, it would be a war crime to own one.)

Fourth , reliability: Mine fires any weight/size .40 S&W, case closed.

Fifth The blasted thing is accurate, a gunfighters dream. It reminds me of a Phazer used on Star Trek. Lethal as Hell.

In closing, this is more of a assault weapon than a pistol. I'll never let mine go unless it breaks. and that's damn unlikely.
When our arms are finally taken, the XDm will be among the first to go...

JessBear 06-01-2010 11:07 PM

XD m 40

Good afternoon,

I was reading through your thread, and didnt find anything about the slide being a problem. I tested quite a few 40 cal. guns and found myself in love with the XDm. I am a new shooter and really would like to have this gun. But, I looked at one new, and it might just be my inexperience/ being a little weak in my hands, but the slide was giving me a hard time. I was just wondering if it loosens up after you shoot it for awhile.

Thank you,

Jess