Springfield XD Tactical in 357 Sig.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Springfield XD Tactical in 357 Sig.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Springfield XD Tactical in 357 Sig.

We just ordered a XD in 357 Sig.I haven't been able to find much about this cal. in XD's.Do any of you shoot The 357 Sig?, how do you like it if you do? Thanks morayman...........

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I carry a 229 .357 sig and a 239 .357 sig . I personally find it more acurate than a .40 and more of a punch than a 9mm .Basically it's a 9mm on steriods

" TO EACH HIS OWN "

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Fimilliar with xd's but not that cal. Is that all just a beefy 9mm?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBrawler View Post
Fimilliar with xd's but not that cal. Is that all just a beefy 9mm?
357sig is a lightweight short case length version of the 357mag. its on the same power level as lighter than 158grn 357mag loads. it was developed explicitly at the request of the texas highway patrol for a powerful auto loading cartridge with superb barrier and glass penetration qualities.

those requirments were needed because the thp often are having to shoot through car bodies and windshield glass. at this the round really excels. its an extreme over penetrator in some loadings.

loading for the 357 sig is not as easy as most pistol cartridges.

it is a fun cartridge to shoot and congrats to the OP on picking an excellent round

my opinion: its an excellent self defense round if barrier penetration is a real concern. its also a very good alternative to the 10mm. ammo can be difficult to find as its primarily a LE round. my thinking is skip it for normal SD use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-03-2012 at 01:27 AM.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

357sig is a lightweight short case length version of the 357mag. its on the same power level as lighter than 158grn 357mag loads. it was developed explicitly at the request of the texas highway patrol for a powerful auto loading cartridge with superb barrier and glass penetration qualities.

those requirments were needed because the thp often are having to shoot through car bodies and windshield glass. at this the round really excels. its an extreme over penetrator in some loadings.

it is a fun cartridge to shoot and congrats to the OP on picking an excellent round

my opinion: its an excellent self defense round if barrier penetration is a real concern. its also a very good alternative to the 10mm. ammo can be difficult to find as its primarily a LE round. my thinking is skip it for normal SD use.
No kidding my curiosity was its relation to the .357 mag. But hey what ever floats your boat i just use .45's

Old 04-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

I've shot the round and loved it,it's accurate and has all the power you'd need.It's a man stopper with over 90% one shot stops and yes it will penetrate with certain loads.I figured if it's good enough for the Secret Service it's probably good enough for me! I just don't hear much about it in the XD platform.morayman..........

Old 04-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by morayman View Post
I've shot the round and loved it,it's accurate and has all the power you'd need.It's a man stopper with over 90% one shot stops and yes it will penetrate with certain loads.I figured if it's good enough for the Secret Service it's probably good enough for me! I just don't hear much about it in the XD platform.morayman..........
I would be tempted to get one if it was on the xdm lineup. Its got a wide array of bullet choices for the reloader that can make it a very very potent choice

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 05-03-2012, 03:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

jeez wikipedia

Old 05-03-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for your valuable input. morayman............

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #10

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

I carried a Sig 229 and a Glock 32 for years. .357 sig has outstanding penetration. It was also easy to reload but very expensive to buy factory ammo. I often used formed .40 brass that the State Police shot at my former employer's range.
I liked a lot more than 40 for both reliability, penetration, and cheaper to reload.
Eventually I sold them all off (I had an H&K in .357 sig as well) and went with 9mm for even more cost efficiency and caliber consolidation.
Speer Gold Dot HP's are as good as it gets in this caliber. They are designed specifically for the higher velocity while most others use 9mm design bullets.
The recoil is sharp, the report is loud, and the muzzle flash is significant. Reloads with Power Pistol creep up on 1400 FPS for 125 grain bullets.

Last edited by msup752; 05-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.