Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > XD Forum > Shooting low

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Shooting low

Alright guys/gals....what am I doing wrong that is making me shoot 2-3" low at 15yrds? I have an awesome grouping (within an 8"circle) and shooting a slow rapid fire (not quite 1 second between shots)....I'm shooting an XD9 sub.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

[QUOTE=chazzy;708290]Alright guys/gals....what am I doing wrong that is making me shoot 2-3" low at 15yrds? I have an awesome grouping (within an 8"circle) and shooting a slow rapid fire (not quite 1 second between shots)....I'm shooting an XD9 sub.[/QUOTE

How are you lining up your sights? If you can't replace your front sight with a shorter one, you'll have to change how you aim it. I always try and cover the spot up with both sights leveled..after I get used to a pistol I don't use the sights..

Old 02-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Maybe hand position try pushing more with your right hand let up on left hand.I do same thing with small guns I have big hands I pull to much on bottom of the grip with left hand.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmmm. Interesting!! I'll definitely try both your ideas....I was actually thinking the way I'm holding the gun could be the prob....of course I just got the gun 3 days ago so I'm sure it's all a matter of getting use to it. I had to do the same thing with my Taurus raging bull 44 mag....I bought the snap caps for that and that helped me tremendously

Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

There are a couple possibilities.
Trigger pull: Have you tried shooting it off of a sandbag? Try taking some of the human factor out of the equation and see if you see any improvement. I have an XD40SC and when I go to it after shooting a non striker gun, it takes a few shots to settle in. I will typically yank a few low while adjusting. You may also want to see if another experienced shooter has the same issues when he shoots it.
Ammo: Lighter, higher velocity bullets will often shoot lower. If you are shooting whatever 115 gr practice ammo you can get cheap, that may be a contributor. Consider trying some 124 or 147 gr ammo and see if it changes things any.

NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You may try this target analysis chart.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Crazycharlie....I've never seen a chart like that!!! Very interesting. I am on the other shooting the federal champion FMJ 115gr...$20/100 rds. Looking at the chart, it could be possible that my wrist/s are breaking downward a tad. Thanks for the info. Btw, why is it that 115gr bullets could be a contributing factor?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2177 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy View Post
Crazycharlie.... Btw, why is it that 115gr bullets could be a contributing factor?
They could simply shoot low in your gun. At close ranges, heavier bullets tend to shoot to a higher point of impact. I make no promises as to this being your issue, just that it might be worth trying heavier bullet.
Not sure about XDs, but I have been told that CZ's fixed sights are set up for a 124 gr load. In which case, a 115 gr load MAY shoot slightly low.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 02-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I don't want to sound condescending if you are an experienced shooter, but there is a simple test I give to new shooters who shoot low:

Remove ammo from mag. and clear the chamber
Insert empty mag. in gun and allow the slide to return forward, simulating a live load.
With the hammer cocked and ready to dry fire, take aim, and with the full concentration you would grant to a live round, pull the trigger.
If the gun dips down, the shooter was compensating for recoil

Old 02-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #10

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdIron44 View Post
I don't want to sound condescending if you are an experienced shooter, but there is a simple test I give to new shooters who shoot low:

Remove ammo from mag. and clear the chamber
Insert empty mag. in gun and allow the slide to return forward, simulating a live load.
With the hammer cocked and ready to dry fire, take aim, and with the full concentration you would grant to a live round, pull the trigger.
If the gun dips down, the shooter was compensating for recoil
Better yet, have a friend load the mag, but only load a few in it. The amount should not be known to the shooter. Then begin to shoot.