Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   XD Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/)
-   -   Shooting low (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/shooting-low-57715/)

chazzy 02-14-2012 02:06 PM

Shooting low

Alright guys/gals....what am I doing wrong that is making me shoot 2-3" low at 15yrds? I have an awesome grouping (within an 8"circle) and shooting a slow rapid fire (not quite 1 second between shots)....I'm shooting an XD9 sub.

glockman55 02-14-2012 02:27 PM

[QUOTE=chazzy;708290]Alright guys/gals....what am I doing wrong that is making me shoot 2-3" low at 15yrds? I have an awesome grouping (within an 8"circle) and shooting a slow rapid fire (not quite 1 second between shots)....I'm shooting an XD9 sub.[/QUOTE

How are you lining up your sights? If you can't replace your front sight with a shorter one, you'll have to change how you aim it. I always try and cover the spot up with both sights leveled..after I get used to a pistol I don't use the sights..

slim325 02-14-2012 04:01 PM

Maybe hand position try pushing more with your right hand let up on left hand.I do same thing with small guns I have big hands I pull to much on bottom of the grip with left hand.

chazzy 02-14-2012 04:16 PM

Hmmm. Interesting!! I'll definitely try both your ideas....I was actually thinking the way I'm holding the gun could be the prob....of course I just got the gun 3 days ago so I'm sure it's all a matter of getting use to it. I had to do the same thing with my Taurus raging bull 44 mag....I bought the snap caps for that and that helped me tremendously

Overkill0084 02-14-2012 04:43 PM

There are a couple possibilities.
Trigger pull: Have you tried shooting it off of a sandbag? Try taking some of the human factor out of the equation and see if you see any improvement. I have an XD40SC and when I go to it after shooting a non striker gun, it takes a few shots to settle in. I will typically yank a few low while adjusting. You may also want to see if another experienced shooter has the same issues when he shoots it.
Ammo: Lighter, higher velocity bullets will often shoot lower. If you are shooting whatever 115 gr practice ammo you can get cheap, that may be a contributor. Consider trying some 124 or 147 gr ammo and see if it changes things any.

crazycharlie2 02-14-2012 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You may try this target analysis chart.

chazzy 02-14-2012 08:12 PM

Crazycharlie....I've never seen a chart like that!!! Very interesting. I am on the other shooting the federal champion FMJ 115gr...$20/100 rds. Looking at the chart, it could be possible that my wrist/s are breaking downward a tad. Thanks for the info. Btw, why is it that 115gr bullets could be a contributing factor?

Overkill0084 02-14-2012 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chazzy (Post 708547)
Crazycharlie.... Btw, why is it that 115gr bullets could be a contributing factor?

They could simply shoot low in your gun. At close ranges, heavier bullets tend to shoot to a higher point of impact. I make no promises as to this being your issue, just that it might be worth trying heavier bullet.
Not sure about XDs, but I have been told that CZ's fixed sights are set up for a 124 gr load. In which case, a 115 gr load MAY shoot slightly low.

ColdIron44 02-15-2012 02:30 AM

I don't want to sound condescending if you are an experienced shooter, but there is a simple test I give to new shooters who shoot low:

Remove ammo from mag. and clear the chamber
Insert empty mag. in gun and allow the slide to return forward, simulating a live load.
With the hammer cocked and ready to dry fire, take aim, and with the full concentration you would grant to a live round, pull the trigger.
If the gun dips down, the shooter was compensating for recoil

The_Kid 02-15-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdIron44 (Post 708916)
I don't want to sound condescending if you are an experienced shooter, but there is a simple test I give to new shooters who shoot low:

Remove ammo from mag. and clear the chamber
Insert empty mag. in gun and allow the slide to return forward, simulating a live load.
With the hammer cocked and ready to dry fire, take aim, and with the full concentration you would grant to a live round, pull the trigger.
If the gun dips down, the shooter was compensating for recoil

Better yet, have a friend load the mag, but only load a few in it. The amount should not be known to the shooter. Then begin to shoot.